Sat, Sep 21, 9:36 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: Vue 4.03 Update Is Out!

e-on ( ) posted Wed, 21 November 2001 at 7:58 AM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 9:36 PM

Attached Link: http://www.e-onsoftware.com

The Vue 4.03 update is available for download on our website. This is the final release. You can get it by following Download -> Updates -> Vue 4 -> Get the update.

Note that there are two versions; one is incremental and should only be applied on top of a v4.02b. The other can be used to update any previous versions.

Remember that you can always switch back to the previous version by copying the contents of the Back sub-folder (created by the updater) into Vue's root folder. A backup of the Vue4.env configuration file is now also made at the time of updating.

Special thanks to MikeJ, Sacred Rose and Tesign for their help it getting this update straight.

Steve.

e-on ( ) posted Wed, 21 November 2001 at 8:12 AM

Attached Link: http://www.e-onsoftware.com

Sorry, forgot the list of modifications included in the 4.03 update:
  • Under certain conditions, render would freeze at 100%.
  • Impossible to directly assign a material to a group of objects containing different materials.
  • Improved tolerance to faulty OpenGL drivers.
  • Torus's with modified thickness (rim radius) would not save/restore properly.
  • Rare render freeze when rendering high resolution terrains.
  • Importing complex Poser scenes would sometimes fail.
  • Save scene icon not activated when using the Camera Control Center.
  • Exporting terrain maps without specifying a file extension would crash.
  • Requesting other picture formats than BMP through the
  • Batch Renderer would corrupt the picture.
  • Some transparent areas in Poser would appear gray in Vue.
  • Mixed materials would occasionally switch from High altitudes to Low altitudes during edition.
  • Problems when entering manually a clip altitude > 100 in the Terrain Editor.
  • In wireframe mode (non OpenGL) the ground plane would be hidden.
  • In function editor, layer summary not updated when Turbulence and Fractal options are checked.
  • Crash when animating the camera using the Mover Wizard and there is no ground.

Enjoy!
Steve.

Sacred Rose ( ) posted Wed, 21 November 2001 at 8:40 AM

Thanks Steve..omw now :)

Joerg Weber ( ) posted Wed, 21 November 2001 at 11:05 AM

I hope this one uses a more stable installer. Vue 4.02b would not install on my system, no matter what I tried. Being stuck with Vue 4.01 is pretty unnerving. Joerg

e-on ( ) posted Wed, 21 November 2001 at 11:20 AM

Joerg: I'm surprised you had problems installing v4.02b. Please let me know if you still have difficulties with v4.03.

Thanks for your positive thinking, Varian!

Steve.

Varian ( ) posted Wed, 21 November 2001 at 11:46 AM

Thanks very much, Steve, for all you and the rest of the E-on team are doing to help make this the best version of Vue yet! :)

Kurka ( ) posted Wed, 21 November 2001 at 12:07 PM

Thanks. This does fix my problems.-Fernando.

Ms_Outlaw ( ) posted Wed, 21 November 2001 at 1:55 PM

Installed really easily. Thank you.

MikeJ ( ) posted Wed, 21 November 2001 at 3:28 PM

Alright Steve, thank you. I'll be giving this a thorough checkout over the next couple of days. Since the last of the 4.03 beta's though, I haven't had any of the above problems, and I've been putting Vue through alot of tests. :) One thing I might mention is that someone pointed out to me that Vue 4 faisl all the time to do proper boolean functions on imported polygon meshes. I ran a few experiments on basic objects I made in a couple of different programs (Rhino, Amapi, Amorphium, and 3DS Max), all of which were in 3DS and OBJ format before importing. They all worked fine in Vue 3.1, but evry time I tried to do boolean differences in Vue 4 (usually just subtracting a cylinder from a cube), the object would not render at all. Strangely enough, when I tried it on a Poser mesh, the boolean subtraction worked, but in a very unusual and unpredictable way. Just FYI. It's not like it's gonna ruin my day, because when I want booleanized models I just boolean them into submission in Rhino, but I know alot of people do use the booleans to a great extent in Vue for creating things. For that matter, I don't even know what the extent of the problem is, because there's only been one person so far to bring it up. I hope this info can be of some use to you. Cheers, and thanks, Mike

Joerg Weber ( ) posted Wed, 21 November 2001 at 4:51 PM

Nah... this updater worked just fine. Everything OK... A lot better than the 4.02 updater. Thanks Joerg

MikeJ ( ) posted Wed, 21 November 2001 at 5:09 PM

Glad to hear it worked out for you, Joerg. :) I find myself becoming more and more curious as to why so many people have such vastly different experiences with the Vue 4 program in general, but with the updates/patches, specifically. I know we are all using one or another flavor of Windows, but it seems to be limited to Win 98, 98 SE, NT, 2K, 2K Pro, and now XP. I don't know of anyone using Win 95 with Vue 4. It would seem it has to have something to do with the O/S, but maybe it's some sort of combination of hardware? Oh well, I have no idea, and I'm just thinking out loud anyway. ;)

Joerg Weber ( ) posted Wed, 21 November 2001 at 5:49 PM

Well, it worked... kind off... While the Updater itself did work just fine, the update wasn't what I expected. First of all, my Vue suddenly changed to german language. While I am german, I would prefer my Vue to stay english, the way I bought it. When I have to exchange material with english users, it is better that way. Is there any possibility of me being able to choose which language the programm uses? But that is not really bugging me. What is bugging me, are the following bugs I have noticed or problems, which remain unsolved: 1) All my library names disappeared (There are neither material nor object-libraries visible in the material or object screens.) 2) All materials have been renamed to "Clear Day 01" and all descriptions have been changed accordingly to the description of the Atmosphere "Clear Day 01". Resaving the Materials does help, but frankly said, I have no intention of resaving a library of a few hundred textures. 3) The texture editor works quite fast and well - until you start using mixed materials. When you change to mixed materials, Vue's texture editor slows down to a crawl - or even slower. Textures that render in less than 5 seconds normally take up to 10 minutes to render (I did take time on this one - it was exactly 11 minutes and 14 seconds until the textures rendered when mixed. Both textures took 5 seconds to render on their own.) This point is very very unnerving as I am doing a lot of procedural textures with several layers at the moment (mostly bark-type textures for the trees and other natural, procedural textures.) I can't really say I know, but it seems to me, that the original 4.0-texture-editor was more stable and ran more smoothly than the current version. My system is a P-333, running a Windows2000, Servicepack 2, 224 MBs of RAM and 2 GB empty harddisk space. I have a 64 MB-graphics board (ELSA Gladiac 511, 64 MB). The system runs smoothly with 3D-Max and Nendo (which is very picky when it comes to Open-GL) Oh, and one little request: Is it possible to make the free-camera-rotation around the marked object directly accessible with the right mouse-button and maybe the ALT-Key? That would be very very helpful and would speed up at least my working-process a lot. Joerg

mi-scha ( ) posted Thu, 22 November 2001 at 6:15 AM

I had the same problem as Joerg with the 4.02 update.
The fix is simple:
After the installation of the bugfix, but before the next start of Vue, delete the directory called 'german' or 'language' or whatever (I don't have Vue at hand) in the Vue program folder.
This fixes at least problem 1), maybe also the others.

By the way, can this Version 4.03 import the neftis hair from a pz3?

MikeJ ( ) posted Thu, 22 November 2001 at 7:08 AM

"By the way, can this Version 4.03 import the neftis hair from a pz3?" You bet it can! Perfectly! :)

e-on ( ) posted Thu, 22 November 2001 at 7:41 AM

Attached Link: http://www.e-onsoftware.com/Download/Vue4InternationalResources.php

Joerg, please download and install the English resources from the above link. This will fix problems 1 & 2.

Re problem 3: does that happen all the time (with all materials), or only with specific material and/or scene combinations?

"...it seems to me, that the original 4.0-texture-editor was more stable": does that mean the material editor actually crashes often in Vue 4.03 on your computer?

Joerg Weber ( ) posted Thu, 22 November 2001 at 8:59 AM

Hi, Problem 3 seems to happen with all material, however it seems to happen more often with more complex material. If more functions are added to a material, it becomes more likely to behave that way. It also seems to be directly bound to computer-speed, as it happens on my old P-333 at home, but comparable material on my workstation (P-800) work only a little slower. I can send you the materials in question if you want to test it out. As to my "stable" comment: It doesn't really crash, it simply disappears, but without crashing the programm. I can simply restart it and every change I did is still there - just as if I had clicked the "OK" button. But that is actually no problem - it doesn't really crash and nothing is lost. Joerg

MightyPete ( ) posted Thu, 22 November 2001 at 10:22 AM

Oh I almost forgot. I figured out a sort of work around on my machine for this taking forever problem with the textures updating. I simply turned off the scene preview screen and I just click on it now when I want it to update. That helped a lot. The other thing is try not to work on the whole mixed set of textures all at once just work on the subsets then look at the blended one.

MightyPete ( ) posted Thu, 22 November 2001 at 10:33 AM

One more thing if your scene uses glow anywhere temporarily give that item a different default texture, then when it comes time to render bring it back into the scene. You might want to turn down quality and see if that helps. I can't say any of mine have ever took that long to update so your doing something different. Maybe try to just do the textures on a blank scene and then save them and import them to the final. I use that method lots.

Joerg Weber ( ) posted Thu, 22 November 2001 at 11:22 AM

The funny thing is, that the scene preview is fast... It renders in only 5 seconds or less. Only the texture previews need that long. Maybe it is because Vue is trying to update all texture previews at the same time - something I could very well live without. How about updating one preview after the other, starting with the texture that is currently worked on, then the mixed texture underneath and then the texture preview in the main-screen. I could very well live with that, if just texture system would get faster. Joerg

MightyPete ( ) posted Thu, 22 November 2001 at 12:08 PM

Exactly. I turn all that off. I work on the textures one at a time. If I can close the in use texture browser off I do. All those little previews is what's is killing you. I found turning the screen preview helped because that's one less thing getting updated. I try to make up my mixed textures somewhere else and just save them. You know same sky just a blank scene. That helps a lot. The less that you look at the textures in your final the better off you'll be.

My machine is no real push over. Not the fastest but at 1 Ghz AMD and lots of memory you would think it could keep up. I can still make that machine crawl if I'm not being careful.

That maybe a thing though with version 5 that can be worked on. Being able to turn off various previews so only the one your actually working on is getting updated. Or even making it so you can keep it from updating period till you click on it.

One other thing that could be goofing you up is multiple changes to a texture before the first change is rendered. Just think ever single change to the texture will be rendered even though only the very last one is still valid.

Don't let changes start spooling up. Then you have all those views open. I can see why your having problems. I don't work that way in Vue. Keep it simple or die waiting for it to finnish. Don't matter how fast of a computer you have or how much memory it has any rendering app can kill that machine to a crawl if you load it up enough. There is only one processor and it becomes the bottle neck.

Try turning off background running apps if you can and don't need them running. Some computers are so overloaded with work it's no wonder they crawl. JFYI I fixed a guys computer that has a whooping 178 spam applications ( basiclly spy ware ) running in the background that he never knew about. Deleting those sped his computer up by 4 times or more. There is lots of little things you can do to get better performance out of Vue. Keeping it simple is the easiest till it's ready for final render.

Joerg Weber ( ) posted Thu, 22 November 2001 at 2:50 PM

Hehe... Me and my old P-333 aren't that fast. I guess what would be even more useful than disabling certain previews - which would be quite a useful tool, would be the ability to set the quality of the preview renders or choose a function to have no preview in the texture editor, but only it's own editor (Or fixing the preview until an "update-button" is pressed.) Joerg

Hdrider ( ) posted Thu, 22 November 2001 at 4:23 PM

Hello, Maybe it's just me but when I install the 4.03 patch and try to run Vue, I get a goofy Shell32.dll error and a message saying a device isn't attached or something like that. I've tried both updaters and get the same error. My kind of luck! Any ideas??? Thanks...jJ

No good deed goes unpunished ...

Varian ( ) posted Thu, 22 November 2001 at 7:28 PM

That's one I haven't heard of yet, John. I'd suggest reporting it to support@e-onsoftware.com and maybe they have some ideas about it. Meanwhile, you can restore your previous version by copying over the items in the Backup folder. Very strange, and I hope it gets worked out! :)

Joerg Weber ( ) posted Thu, 22 November 2001 at 8:03 PM

OK, I seem to have found out at least one part as to why my material wa so extremely memory-active: NEVER EVER MIX DIFFERENT MAPPING MODES. I mapped the bark material to be "object-cylindrical" while the moss material and some of its functions were "object-standard". I started setting al functions and all mappings to "object-cylindrical" and suddenly the material began to render a bit faster. It still took about 7 or 8 minutes to render it's final preview. And it is only that final preview window in the texture editor, that slows everything down. If I hit the "ZOOM" buttan, the zoom renders in about 15 seconds - an acceptable time for this material. But the little preview won't render in less then 8 minutes. Strange indeed. Maybe the material-settings are just to complicated? Joerg

MightyPete ( ) posted Fri, 23 November 2001 at 12:02 AM

You can make a material so complicated that it probibly can't be rendered in a acceptable time. I was thinking about that later with nested textures. I try never to go more than 2 layers deep. Going sideways if you know what I mean is a better idea. If you're just making bark I tell ya what I do that's fast and painless. Go find a nice picture. Drag it into photoshop and make it seamless. Import it into a texture and then import it again as the bump map. Done, fast, simple. You can even grow moss on it with mixed materials for added effect. It looks real because it is real. 512 X 512 size is excellent but you can even get away with 256 X 256 size pictures. The other thing is you don't have to wait for the preview to finnish. If you think it's good enought just click ok and work on you scene again. It don't matter if it finishes. The only time you need it to completly finnish is if your going to save it and you want a nice preview picture.

Joerg Weber ( ) posted Fri, 23 November 2001 at 6:32 AM

I could use mapped textures, but using the procedural textures is kind of an experiment if I can get the same results with procedural textures that is possible with mapped pictures. Actually it is quite possible to get even better results, but you have to add a lot of complicated functions with multiple layers of noise to get any usable result. What seems strange to me is, that the preview is slow while all other functions using the texture (the little picture-preview, the zoom-function) are quite fast. Only the little preview in the texture editor is slow. Joerg

Hdrider ( ) posted Fri, 23 November 2001 at 3:18 PM

file_235805.jpg

Hello, I'm still having problems with the version 3 update. I'v sent a message to e-on support and here is a visual of the errors. Has anyone seen anything like this? Or is it just my bad luck?

Thanks...jJ

MightyPete ( ) posted Fri, 23 November 2001 at 5:08 PM

Hmm make sure you have a file called eongui.dll in the root folder of your vue directory make sure you have a file called shell32.dll in your /Windows/system/ folder

Hdrider ( ) posted Wed, 28 November 2001 at 5:22 PM

Hello,
An update about the update. I emailed Eon about the problem a week ago and still haven't heard anything. Am I the only one with this kind of problem or what?
I've always had good service from them but this is kind of dissapointing. So if anyone from Eon is on this forum, please respond.

Thanks...jJ

MightyPete ( ) posted Wed, 28 November 2001 at 5:54 PM

You got me. A search for that text string reveals it's comming from the shell32.dll. Did you search for those files? Are they there? Have you done something like move your Vue dir? Or added a drive since you installed the program. What I would do would be uninstall vue and reinstall it. Make sure it works then apply the patch. You can always goback with the backup dir located inside of Vue after you apply the patch. It seems like one of the paths to a file never got written properly. The easiest way to fix that is uninstall and reinstall. It's worth a try while you wait for e-on to get back to you.

MightyPete ( ) posted Wed, 28 November 2001 at 5:56 PM

Don't forget to back up anything you made like extra textures or whatever. The uninstall should leave them alone but just in case.

Hdrider ( ) posted Wed, 28 November 2001 at 6:45 PM

Hello, Well, I've done all the above. Started from scratch and tried the full v3 patch. Started from scratch,installed the 4.02b patch and then the short version 3 patch. The results are the same. The first error is bit of a mystery but the second error message really throws me. What device isn't attached?? This is just too weird!

MightyPete ( ) posted Wed, 28 November 2001 at 8:33 PM

Oh it has somthing to do with the graphic user interface of the Vue program. It starts up because something can't be found then it dies because the GUI never loads. That's what I mean. It's got to be a file in the wrong place. Forget using 03 I'd say for you anyway.

Varian ( ) posted Wed, 28 November 2001 at 10:23 PM

John, just for the record, it is unusual for it to take that long to get some kind of response from E-on. It's possible your message went astray somewhere. If you have a copy of it still, you could just forward it to them again with a notation that you haven't yet had a response. :)

Hdrider ( ) posted Thu, 29 November 2001 at 6:05 PM

Hello, Just did that. See what happens. You're right. It is unusual for them to not respond. Later...jJ

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.