Sun, Oct 6, 1:26 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 06 11:30 am)

Subject: Duz it help to clear out files in Poser?

Tashar59 ( ) posted Tue, 29 January 2002 at 8:03 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 1:24 PM

It' getting a little discombobulated in poser. Will it help to clean up files.

ronknights ( ) posted Tue, 29 January 2002 at 8:08 PM

It really depends on what files or folders you're discussing. Why not give us some more information?! Ron

Tashar59 ( ) posted Tue, 29 January 2002 at 8:16 PM

Some of the props, not many just a couple, give me out of memory, but I don't think that is problem. I guess the question should have been- do geometries cross talk them selfs.

ronknights ( ) posted Tue, 29 January 2002 at 9:43 PM

Cross-talk on geometries? I hadn't heard of that. Usually if you get an out of memory error, it's Poser's feeble way of coping with a problem. The two most likely problems are: 1.) Missing geometry files 2.) Corrupted geometry rsr If a file is missing, you need to find it. If it is a corrupted rsr, delete it. Poser will re-create it.

whoopdat ( ) posted Tue, 29 January 2002 at 9:53 PM

Yeah, what Ron said. :) Deleting crap you no longer use will get Poser to load the various categories faster, however.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2002 at 12:02 AM

Thanks. I didn't use capital letter on object file, just to much of a hurry. But I think I'll still do house clean-up. Getting so I can't remember whats what.

shadownet ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2002 at 12:23 AM

Keep in mind that you can use the import command to import props (pp2) So you can store these in a folder outside Poser and import as needed. You can also do this with textures and get them out of the runtime sub directory and put them in another location. When promped for the location just go to the folder where you keep the textures - I would leave the Poser default texture where they are. Also, if you use a short cut in your Runtime:texture subdirectory and point it to the outside folder you can get to it quick and easy. I am still waiting to see how it works out in the long run but I am trying something new with Poser. I set up two versions of Poser on my hard drive - one in which I install and save more or less everything. The other is a near factory default version, with just the folders I need to work with loaded up - such as geometry, only the cr2 figures I use often, with the same for pose and mat files, etc. I work in it and move stuff in and out as I need it. This is easy, if I decide I need a set of poses, let say, stored in my loaded down version of Poser I just pull up windows explore, go to the Pose library and copy the pose presets I want over to my working copy. When I am done, I delete the stuff I added that I no longer want/need. This seems to be helping, only time will tell though.

ElectricAardvark ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2002 at 12:50 AM

I do close to the same thing as hat. I have a version of poser with basically nothing in it except the ground texture and a few lights. No props, n characters, no clothes, nothing. I also only have Vic, posette, dork and mike in the geometries folder. I use this sripped down version for single projects, one at a time. I also use it for beta testing installers for marketplace stuff. Works good, and runs alot faster.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2002 at 1:04 AM

How do you set up the second version, I take it you don't use the exe. Do you just copy another version? I have never used a computer till the last few months, so it's live or crash. I've gotten good use out of back-ups.

ElectricAardvark ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2002 at 1:22 AM

I just installed it again and than stripped it down to nothing.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2002 at 1:34 AM

Does it double up in C drive or do I send it somewhere else, and do I need to turn everything off like the first installment.

Routledge ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2002 at 5:51 AM

There is a specific "out of memory" message that comes up when a prop or characters` .OBJ is in the wrong directory or is missing. You can open the PP2 or CR2 files in a text editor (Wordpad) and find what geometry it is looking for. Look for a line starting "figureResFile" , it occurs twice. for example: figureResFile :Runtime:Geometries:shoes:MikeBootsR.obj (the : is a MACs equivalent to a PCs /) your .OBJ must be exactly where this line says DO NOT open Victoria or Michael as they are 20Mb files and will take all day to opoen in a text editor!

ronknights ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2002 at 5:55 AM

I have two hard drives: 1.) 20GB C drive for Windows XP and most of my software 2.) 30GB D drive for Poser and all my data (Poser install, artwork and downloads). I redid my installation onto the D drive. I only installed the Michael and Victoria stuff, and any stuff I really wanted to use right away. I think Poser is happier having all the room it wants. I think it's good that Poser doesn't need to fight the Windows Swap File for room. One very important thing: You need to defrag your hard drive frequently. Many people never defrag. Poser seems to suffer more from this neglect. Ron

Routledge ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2002 at 5:59 AM

Re your clear out, if you want to keep your original runtime to copy files from just rename it eg RuntimeA, then reinstall Poser. Back up the most precious stuff first! Do not delete the ground prop, if you use Walk designer do not delete the P4 lo figures or the Walk designer poses As I use Michael and Victoria I completely cleared out all the Poser 4 original stuff with no trouble, except the two above noted

shadownet ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2002 at 7:51 AM

I install stuff once to one Poser folder and then copy the stuff I want to use from there to my working folder. This gives me more control over what goes where but also means I may miss something from time to time - such as a geometry obj the author puts in the Character library instead of in the Geometry folder. I either go grab it and stick it where it wants to be in a folder in the Library or else I move it to the Geometry folder and hack the cr2/pz3 to point to the new location. The biggest prob I have run into with this setup so far is with Textures. I always seem to miss moving one or more that I need over, so Poser keeps pestering me to locate the files. More a nuisance than a problem. I think if my Texture folder was better organized I would have less prob in this area, for now I have simply moved the texture sub directory back to my working version. Atleast until I come up with a better way to work it. Oh, I also strip out all the stuff from the working Poser I don't want/need - much like ElectricArdvark mentioned. Best of luck. If you come up with some really cool solutions to this prob let us know.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.