Fri, Sep 20, 9:29 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Creating Bryce terrain

thuffner3 ( ) posted Thu, 14 March 2002 at 10:07 PM ยท edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 7:25 PM

file_411.jpg

In the summer issue volume 8, edition #12, of E F X Art & design. page 59. The image is called Pixalrift. It looks like many blocks arrayed in such a fashion as to form a sort of valley. To try and duplicate this, I followed the authors very small tut by creating a 3 x 3 pixel image, applied a diagnal gradient from black to white, resized my image to 1024 x 1024(Bryce terrain size), then scale transformed my 3 x 3 pixel image to cover my image size. I then applied a twirl filter to this. So far all Ok. I go into Bryce, bring my image into the terrain editor. Create my terrain and render. Problem Bryce wants to see sharp white between the pixels and create spikes so to speak. well I managed to include a picture without locking up my comp.

Slynky ( ) posted Thu, 14 March 2002 at 10:27 PM

might be useful to post this in the bryce forum as well dude. Would it be possible to include the final image the author came to from the actual issue? Legalities aside, you provided really complete details about who's property it is, and I know many others who've done such a thing on Renderosity before. Would be helpful to get an idea of the final image you're trying to work from. also, don t be afraid to post in a bigger size. It's pretty small on my screen and my res is 1076x768.

thuffner3 ( ) posted Fri, 15 March 2002 at 5:15 AM

file_412.jpg

Here's another better scan, The author is Henrik Berg of Makaron Production.

Rork1973 ( ) posted Fri, 15 March 2002 at 8:24 AM

White lines ? If you make a grey scale height map like on that page, nothing can go wrong. Well, maybe it's some kind of rendering setting. Sorry for not being more clearer - don't know that much about Bryce, cos I model and render in 3d max.....bryce is so slow with rendering =(

Slynky ( ) posted Fri, 15 March 2002 at 9:22 AM

can wesee yoru results too thuff?

thuffner3 ( ) posted Fri, 15 March 2002 at 5:44 PM

I've not come up with the same results twice. Most times now for some reason my render looks like a cloth over the blocks as you see in the last posted image. Let me work on it a minute after dinner. And I'll post one of my renders.

thuffner3 ( ) posted Fri, 15 March 2002 at 6:59 PM

One of the Bryce renders, no lights terrain settings to 1024 x 1024 using photoshop twirl image created by applying a black and white gradient to a 3x3 pixal image scale transformed to 1024 x 1024.

Slynky ( ) posted Fri, 15 March 2002 at 7:02 PM

Well, I personally have no clue dude, not a bryce user. Hopefully someone can help ya, hope you posted this in the bryce forum too, lots of gods at work there.

thuffner3 ( ) posted Fri, 15 March 2002 at 7:02 PM

file_413.jpg

Opps here's image

Alleycat169 ( ) posted Mon, 18 March 2002 at 1:05 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=117052&Start=19&Artist=Alleycat169&ByArtist=Yes

file_414.jpg

Here's a better example of a grey scale map created in photoshop being used to generate 3D terrain in Bryce using the import picture feature in the terrain editor. Click on the link to see the cityscape created using a higher resolution version of this map.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.