Sat, Sep 21, 2:46 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 1:47 am)

Subject: Making money with Poser besides brokering. Some info

PheonixRising ( ) posted Mon, 01 April 2002 at 8:57 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 2:45 AM

Attached Link: Anton's Content

Hi there, I know this is a strange thread but I wanted to share some info shared with me. I get alot of email throughout the year from variaous people telling me what they are using my items for. Many of them are making money very simply using Poser images. I know people are always interested on how to make a hobby pay for itself so here are some of the uses I have been told of. -woman in Greece using Photoshop and Poser to make her own children's books -couple in Austrailia using Poser animals on T-shirts, mugs, etc in their animal themed giftshop. -company in Texas using Poser to make safety demonstration videos where a human cast isn't feasable(i.e exiting a plane) -a law office in Montana using Poser for accident scene recreation for legal demonstrative purposes. -Production company in Connecticut using Poser for stage design -Woman in Canda tranferng images onto the tops of inlaid wooden boxed and vases prior to varnish or glaze. -Tons of fleamarket T-shirt, mug, mouspad people -Graphics company using Poser renders as texturemaps on lower rez figures for media projects. (i.e render Vicki and use her render as a map on the P2 woman) This I have done or am doing -Make up video using Poser and photoshop -Making animations for a haunted house to project onto fog and mirrors. -Using poser to make figures for rapid prototyping into silver sculptures. One thing I always get is the fact that people are happy to have a product they can use commercially. So whether it is calanders, mugs, books, furniture, doll houses or whatever, Poser images can be used in alot of different commercial ventures. A $30 dollar purchase can easily be used to make 100 times that much over time. There are so many talanted artist around here. It kills me that peopel are't making money off their work. And certainly not everyone is cut out to make Poser content. There are always other avenues. Anyone doing something I didn't mention? Anton

-Anton, creator of ApolloMaximus: 32,000+ downloads since 3-13-07
"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

NEW The Poser FaceInterMixer

PheonixRising ( ) posted Mon, 01 April 2002 at 9:04 PM

I really didn't mention the dollhouse thing. A woman ( I forget where), prints out images on her printer on sticky sheets and applies them to wood and paper to build some victorian doll houses she sells.] I did something similar with a bathroom. I used to to interior painting of scenes on the side. For the ceiling of a bathroom I printed some images of my songbird onto sticky paper. I cut them out and applied them to the ceiling painted as a sky. These type of transfers for walls and furniture sell for about $30 and up in stores.

"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

PheonixRising ( ) posted Mon, 01 April 2002 at 9:07 PM

One more fun one I forgot. A friend uses Poser images to make custom rooms, people ,and themes for "The Sims".

Tilandra ( ) posted Mon, 01 April 2002 at 9:08 PM

I don't think you mentioned people who are self-publishing comic strips and comic books, something I'm looking into right now. Clip art and animation clips for websites. Tilandra

PheonixRising ( ) posted Mon, 01 April 2002 at 9:12 PM

doh, how could I forget the web people? Talk about over-looking the obvious.

JVRenderer ( ) posted Mon, 01 April 2002 at 9:41 PM

I've incorporated some poser images in my web designs (Yes, I get paid for them). I try not to make it too obvious. Most of the time I blend them in with other graphics. I am glad to hear that there are other ways to fuel this hobby. - JVR

Software: Daz Studio 4.15,  Photoshop CC, Zbrush 2022, Blender 3.3, Silo 2.3, Filter Forge 4. Marvelous Designer 7

Hardware: self built Intel Core i7 8086K, 64GB RAM,  RTX 3090 .

"If you spend too much time arguing about software, you're spending too little time creating art!" ~ SomeSmartAss

"A critic is a legless man who teaches running." ~ Channing Pollock

My Gallery  My Other Gallery 

gryffnn ( ) posted Mon, 01 April 2002 at 9:43 PM

A warning about clip art - folks have discussed that DAZ has some restrictions on this in their license; be sure to check.

TalmidBen ( ) posted Mon, 01 April 2002 at 9:53 PM

file_3035.jpg

I'm trying to create a major Character package that will include many different faces of different people of different races, one body texture in many different versions to fit all of the faces, 50 poses, many character faces, expressions, light sets all for about 14.95. I see that you are doing well in terms of sales, and I want to get into the business too. I, however, am not so innovative as to create "bodyhandles" - but Lightwave 6.5 is coming in soon, and I can hopefully start an online business. Thanks Anton for your inspiration. Ben MessianicArt.com

rudipooimf ( ) posted Mon, 01 April 2002 at 9:58 PM

Attached Link: http://www.dynagrind.com

I used poser on this commercial site i did...see if you can tell me where and what. http://www.fashionmystiquemodeling.com. :)

JVRenderer ( ) posted Mon, 01 April 2002 at 10:03 PM

is that Vicky on the second page, Rudi?

Software: Daz Studio 4.15,  Photoshop CC, Zbrush 2022, Blender 3.3, Silo 2.3, Filter Forge 4. Marvelous Designer 7

Hardware: self built Intel Core i7 8086K, 64GB RAM,  RTX 3090 .

"If you spend too much time arguing about software, you're spending too little time creating art!" ~ SomeSmartAss

"A critic is a legless man who teaches running." ~ Channing Pollock

My Gallery  My Other Gallery 

Tilandra ( ) posted Mon, 01 April 2002 at 10:08 PM

"doh, how could I forget the web people? Talk about over-looking the obvious." One might say it was right in front of your face, LOL. As far as the clip-art thing goes, if a model is licensed in such a manner that you can use the artwork created from it in commercial work (as DAZ's are) then clip-art falls under that heading. But you have to use your own original renders, not copy them off the DAZ site... and not with a warezed model either. That is the only situation where I can see DAZ being upset. I just read their license agreement this morning, so I know it's very liberal with regards to commercial work once you purchase the model. Tilandra

PheonixRising ( ) posted Mon, 01 April 2002 at 10:15 PM

Guys, please not another clip art thread. :)

davo ( ) posted Mon, 01 April 2002 at 10:17 PM

Attached Link: http://www.beyondbent.com

As well as making poser scifi and horror stuff to sell, I also I use poser for making graphic comics for my paysite which brings me about 300 plus a month, not to shabby for a hobby (I have a day job..heh heh). It may be a surprise to many, but the poser products I sell are actualy a by-product of the props and sets I make for my graphic stories. That's the main reason I ever got into poser at all, so I could create monsters and scenes, render them in wireframe, print, and draw over them by hand, but alas, Poser did such a good job of pure rendering that I threw away the pencils and paper and went digital. my 2 cents, Davo ps, if anybody is interested in my graphic comics, please IM me, they are adult oriented and I don't want to, you know, turn anybody here into deviates.

soulhuntre ( ) posted Mon, 01 April 2002 at 10:54 PM

We use Poser in a number of areas and at the moment we aren't brokering at all (though we have plans... big plans :) ). Primarily Poser is the mainstay of of our "Virtual Actor" work ... we build professors, spokespeopel and announcers for corporate training and marketing work. Currently we are animating a full length college level course for a client ... more than 15 hours of lip synced video and a few hours of 2d flash animation. We are in negotiations to produce a short film with a lot of Poser based animation and to do FX work on others. Obviously we currently render in Max with a GI engine for most final output - but that doesn't change that it's poser deep down :)

kiru ( ) posted Mon, 01 April 2002 at 11:16 PM

Well, im a poser novice of sorts, but I am a great project organizer, and I think there could be a strong marker for a TEAM of poser illustrators.

rudipooimf ( ) posted Tue, 02 April 2002 at 12:31 AM

That is indeed SMV on the second page dude...good catch. :)

Helen ( ) posted Tue, 02 April 2002 at 1:27 AM

Don't forget magazines and brochures etc... Poser figures are so much more affordable than real folks.. They don't throw temper tantrums and always show up on time ;-)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Senior MarketPlace Tester

If anyone sees a mind wandering aimlessly around..... It is mine.  I want it back.

Don ( ) posted Tue, 02 April 2002 at 1:27 AM

Attached Link: http://home.earthlink.net/~donaldwalbert/Pages/DAGAeduILLUS1.html

As an illustrator I use Poser whenever possible in my work, besides traditional media and 2D FreeHand. The illustrations at this link are all published and paid work. The work is for a major educational publisher. This is earlier stuff. I've done more which has not yet been posted.

caleb68 ( ) posted Tue, 02 April 2002 at 3:07 AM

yeah comic strips, they make a bit of side cash with poser stuff, also web graphics if done right. There are alotta uses that you can find for it that sell, but you also have to think about the promotion side of it as well. I have a private comic strip, as well as have used poser for webgraphics (besides the cheesy ones on my site) design. The program works good for doing logo's. Been trying to figure out some sort of comic theme for a public comic strip but haven't come up with one yet. Promotion and the 'theme' are the hardest parts of the whole deal though. Good luck to any of those thinking about getting into the market on selling stuff, i wish ya best of luck. Oh, one tiny note for those thinking about mugs/tee-shirts/caps/cups/mousepads etc. Take a look at cafepress.com, might help you get started in that direction if you don't have alotta overhead (money) you can throw at it.

Seravajan ( ) posted Tue, 02 April 2002 at 4:17 AM

How about making pictures for a role playing game? I'll use Poser4/Vue4 to make pictures for my own role playing game. (Sorry people. it will be german only and for a translate I have too less time.) Seravajan

nerd ( ) posted Tue, 02 April 2002 at 4:18 AM
Forum Moderator

Attached Link: http://www.ahousesoldname.com/

Yup, I got paid to make the little house. Ain't he cute!

caleb68 ( ) posted Tue, 02 April 2002 at 4:19 AM

hehe yep thats a cute house ;)

capt morgan ( ) posted Tue, 02 April 2002 at 6:27 AM

Recently I used Poser to render some people for a holiday brochure, heavily retouched them in Photoshop, and the result was so realistic my customer thought I had hired female models. I did not want to admit at the time they were computer generated, so I said yes, they were real people and they cost a fortune to hire. He was impressed with my brochure layout and design, and paid me on the spot. He then wrote me a 2nd cheque for $700 to cover the models fees. Needless to say I was very happy.

I have learned its possible to make good money from Poser, as long as my output (renders) are retouched so as to no longer look poser generated, especially when using them in flyers and brouchures. Its takes a lot of Photoshop work, but as I`ve been using Photoshop since version 2, its 2nd nature to me. As a previous thread mentioned, no hassle of the models not turning up or throwing a fit.

I hope this thread inspires more people to make money from poser.

Cookienose ( ) posted Tue, 02 April 2002 at 6:27 AM

I know one man uses Poser as models for oil paintings. Much cheaper than hiring a model, and you won't drive the family and neighbors crazy either. :) I can't remember the guy's name or link though.

sturkwurk ( ) posted Tue, 02 April 2002 at 6:35 AM

Attached Link: http://www.jaap-orr.com

file_3036.jpg

At the Advertising company I work for, I've used poser and other various 3d programs to mock up Photo Shoots before we invest in a realtime photographer. (Fun side note, our usual PhotoGrapher was one of the key guys used by KENNER for years) I've also started making inter office cartoons for Power Point presentations etc. (I finally found a use for the Poser Pro figures) We've even used Poser for final ad images. You can check out the company at www.jaap-orr.com, heck if you look hard enough you'll even find a picture of yours truly. (Some portions of the site are undergoing some re-programming, but the 3d section is all done)

I came, I rendered, I'm still broke.

Mason ( ) posted Tue, 02 April 2002 at 7:32 AM

And don't forget about making dirty comic book stories. Hey don't knock it. I paid for 3/4 of my mortgage last year on just doing this as a sideline/hobby.

sturkwurk ( ) posted Tue, 02 April 2002 at 8:21 AM

Attached Link: http://www.bobandtom.com/gen3/sg_win.htm

file_3037.jpg

Hey Mason, I'm still wondering why I havent been drafted to the "Dark Side" yet... I've been stradling the fence with Shirtless Girl for a while now. ;)

I came, I rendered, I'm still broke.

3-DArena ( ) posted Tue, 02 April 2002 at 9:26 AM

I use poser for tshirts & Posters, they sell amazingly well at the local art & craft/hobby shows and for book covers/inset images I am commissioned for.

Currently I am using my images on postcards adn gift cards for local gift shops.

I figure everytime I seel few items I can afford another "Anton" product ROFL ;-)

3-D Arena | Instagram | Facebook

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo

Tirjasdyn ( ) posted Tue, 02 April 2002 at 10:56 AM

In our library there is a book on using poser for stage set development and actor placement. I'm thinking of putting together some texture sets to broker, but I'm also in the research stage of writing a book to go with a tarot deck that I'm designing using poser. If I ever get a job...maybe I'll get that dream job of graphic design for the web...sigh...then Poser all the way!

Tirjasdyn

Turtle ( ) posted Tue, 02 April 2002 at 11:17 AM

I'm a poser nut, but I don't make clothes, textures, etc. But I had a woman come to me and she handles my art work. She makes all the usual, mugs, paper, web sites, etc. I haven't even tried for making stuff special for her. Yet I've made $380.00 (this is my share), cool she gets half. I don't have to have a site or do any of the stuff I hate. Just make Poser pictures. :O) Anton, I have tons of your products, you do great work. I would love to see the song bird go on sale!!!!HINT. I haven't been at this for very long. I must have missed it when it went on the market. It just would work so good with my Fairys. :O) Ha I will always try and get a deal.

Love is Grandchildren.

Hiram ( ) posted Tue, 02 April 2002 at 11:37 AM

Okay, so my question is this: How do you guys promote yourselves? I have a day job at a non-profit agency that I could easily walk away from. I have a couple minor cash-cow clients on the side doing web-design. I would love to ditch it all and just do 3D ilustration full time. I have the skills, but not the contacts. I'd be interested in how various people find work.

pendarian ( ) posted Tue, 02 April 2002 at 11:57 AM

Turtle, I'd sure be interested in talking to that person that handles your artwork if she is taking on new clients :) Pendy

Ironbear ( ) posted Tue, 02 April 2002 at 5:14 PM

I do framed, poster size one off prints for the occassional client. Generally a few a year, but I'm working on a series of 12 for one client right now who's using them in his home and office. Nice thing is, he contacted me from my gallery here at the site.

"I am a good person now and it feels... well, pretty much the same as I felt before (except that the headaches have gone away now that I'm not wearing control top pantyhose on my head anymore)"

• Monkeysmell

judith ( ) posted Tue, 02 April 2002 at 5:51 PM

Bookcovers here. It hasn't quite paid for my habit, but things are getting better everyday :)

What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

E-mail | Renderosity Homepage | Renderosity Store | RDNA Store

Mason ( ) posted Wed, 03 April 2002 at 12:19 AM

Hiram: If you're willing to do adult material there are lots of sites looking for content. There are two ways to do this. One is to author stories for a client. You work a deal of either a one time fee or percentage. The other way is to author content as buyable stories for web sites. Models do this all the time. There are sites that sell picture sets to other sites that need content. You can dot he same thing with stories. Just charge a one time fee for a site to use your story for content. Basically its the difference between doing catered content for a single client vs making more general content and havibng clients buy installments for their sites.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.