Sat, Sep 21, 3:44 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Brycean Blank Canvas

Otis4 ( ) posted Tue, 02 April 2002 at 5:21 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 3:41 AM

Attached Link: http://www.otisframpton.com

file_3139.jpg

I've made my custom made default Bryce 5 file available for download at my website. No sun, clouds, atmosphere or annoying ambient light to get in the way of scene building. It's like a blank canvas . . start from nothing and built your world. Fly on over to my website for a quick download. Try it, you'll like it! -Otis

Sipapu ( ) posted Tue, 02 April 2002 at 5:46 PM

Very thoughtful of you. Thanks!

inyerface ( ) posted Tue, 02 April 2002 at 6:00 PM
Sipapu ( ) posted Tue, 02 April 2002 at 10:05 PM

Got an Access Denied with request for username and password, inyerface. But thanks anyway.

inyerface ( ) posted Wed, 03 April 2002 at 7:52 AM

Attached Link: http://desktopdownload.org/3d/b5default.sit

http://desktopdownload.org/3d/b5default.sit that's a surprise- try this this is a large screen/plain sky for use with 1024x768 monitor- put it in your Bryce5 folder....

Sipapu ( ) posted Wed, 03 April 2002 at 9:26 AM

file_3140.jpg

Same thing. But it's really not that big a deal. I do appreciate your trying.

gdavis3d ( ) posted Wed, 03 April 2002 at 12:31 PM

What about for those of use who still use Bryce 3D?

inyerface ( ) posted Wed, 03 April 2002 at 12:48 PM

default.b3d is the name of the file- make it the size you want, save to Bryce directory with no pic

DEDfish ( ) posted Wed, 03 April 2002 at 3:53 PM

Nice otis,but if one shuts off all atmosphere variables,ie....cloud cover,fog,etc,then turn the sun off,click on the floor in the scene & check "hidden",I get the same effect without being confused of the augmented camera settings,peace all & please keep the knowledge coming:)

Otis4 ( ) posted Wed, 03 April 2002 at 6:14 PM

What exactly confuses you?

Otis4 ( ) posted Thu, 04 April 2002 at 1:44 AM

Allow me to explain why I offered this file for download, since there seems to be some confusion (especially since someone else posted THEIR custom default file . . a file that sort of goes against the point I was trying to make). So here goes . . The file I use for my default is the result of using Bryce and other 3D apps for a while now, and seeing how starting from nothing can enpower a user. The original Bryce default is a handicap, not a help. It's a good start for the first time you load the program and just want to see a quick example of what a Bryce scene looks like, but it's not a starting point for the serious artist. Ever look at an image and automatically KNOW it was done in Bryce? This is most likely because the artist did not take control of the scene's light, texture and atmosphere. The other main 3D application I use (Carrara Studio 1.1) has the same default handicap . . the user would benefit greatly from going into the scene properties and turning of the ambient light; it's a scene killer, IMHO. I've rambled enough. Speech over. Off the soapbox. Happy Brycefulness to all, and to all a good Bryce. -Otis

Sipapu ( ) posted Thu, 04 April 2002 at 7:27 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12418&Form.ShowMessage=645341

Otis, that's *exactly* why I was so happy to download your blank canvas. Have had no formal art training, but intuitively I knew it was the way for me to start out. I just got Susan Kitchens' book yesterday, and even she says that. Interestingly, I've been rambling along similar lines over in the OT forum - about wanting to discuss art and ideas, not just technical stuff. The thread - attached link) starts off somewhat differently, though. Lord knows I *very* much need as much technical info as I can get about the tools, but it's only a means to the end. My art is what's most important to me. A few weeks ago I finally got up the nerve to upload my first images. I posted a link here in the Bryce forum and asked for feedback that would help me grow both technically and as an artist. Got no responses at all- zilch, nada, none. I'd like to think that it was because, as a newbie, I only posted links rather than the images and that folks just didn't want to go someplace else to see the work I was asking about. But it was discouraging to me nonetheless. But you know, I was just looking at the Rosity banner. It says "Online GRAPHIC Artists' Community." Maybe I'm trying to discuss apples when everyone else is here to discuss oranges, and I just need to find an additional site (sigh) where they talk about apples.

Otis4 ( ) posted Thu, 04 April 2002 at 10:40 AM

I'm glad someone appreciated it. :) Regarding Susan Kitchens' book, you couldn't have found a better Bryce reference. It was the first Byce book I ever read, and it remains (for me) the most informative graphics software book. It deals with all of the technical aspects needed and doesn't ignore that the ultimate goal is artistic in nature. I also come from a traditional media background, so I know how you feel. I get the feeling that a lot of people think of computer graphics as a shortcut to art, when I've found it's just the opposite. If anything, it requires all of the knowledge I gained in the "real" world to function artistically in 3D. Conversely, having spent time working with Bryce and Carrara Studio has helped my 2D work considerably (most notably with thinking in three dimensions. Sounds obvious, but I see things differently now when I draw). As for the apples an oranges analogy . . this site IS about apples, but most people think it's about Tang. :) -Otis

Sipapu ( ) posted Thu, 04 April 2002 at 3:19 PM

Yes, I'm thrilled to have the book. The Bryce manual leaves a lot to be desired. Even when I'm trying to look up something technical, I often don't find the answers I seek. Seems to me Corel would do a lot better if they tossed the manual and included Susan Kitchens's book instead. ;-p Before I discovered CGI, I worked exclusively in 3d media. While I've always felt a great affinity for, and attraction to, works on canvas, I've never been able to express myself as an artist in that medium. I feel that with CGI I'm finally found the tools that make that possible for me. I just hope I don't end up turning out my own version of Tang. (LOL! That was a great play on my analogy.)

Otis4 ( ) posted Thu, 04 April 2002 at 6:44 PM

The Bryce manual is a joke. It's as if they KNEW someone like Susan would come along to show us how it's done. My favorite section, the one I go back to the most, is Chapter 17: Bryce Eye Candy. It definitely helpful to read how other (better) Bryce artists solve their problems. If you push yourself to create interesting/orifinal/personal work, you're not in any danger of adding to the Tang-ness around here. :) I think starting out in the Beginner's Gallery is a good sign. A lot of folks don't have the humilty to admit that their work is embryonic and in need of appropriiate feedback (especially in 3D, where the initial product can be deceptively "art-like"). I spent about 8 months studying and working with Bryce before submitting anything to the various Bryce galleries. I wanted to make sure that I was ready, that my knowledge and experience had reached a level worth showing off. The result was a Bryce Forum Gallery Award, and I was thrilled. I'm getting long-winded again . . so, it's someone else's turn. -Otis

Sipapu ( ) posted Thu, 04 April 2002 at 10:27 PM

Thanks for the tip about chapter 17. Might have taken me forever to get there without your suggestion. You wrote: "If you push yourself to create interesting/orifinal/personal work, you're not in any danger of adding to the Tang-ness around here." Thanks for the great advice. That's always the goal behind every piece that I make - especially the "personal" part. What's interesting and original to me may not be to someone else, but it's always personal - work created from the soul, rather than as a clever new way to show off a "hot" model. I haven't had a chance to look at all your work, Otis, but I sensed that very strongly in your Mayan Temple piece. Thanks also for the support to stay in the Beginner gallery. It's where I feel most comfortable right now. I've a long way to go, in my opinion.... Because I'm not just dealing with learning a new series of tools, but also a whole new "look" and approach to my art. Thanks for taking the time to chat with me, Otis. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the thought and time you've put into your responses.

Tirjasdyn ( ) posted Thu, 04 April 2002 at 10:28 PM

Just wanted to say thanks. I didn't realize what difference this would make in my pics!

Tirjasdyn

Otis4 ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2002 at 3:02 AM

Attached Link: http://www.geocities.com/otisframpton/Blank_Canvas

I've uploaded a new, updated version of Brycean Blank Canvas after realizing that the setup for creating new objects was a bit off . . world center has now been restored to its proper place. Sorry about this. When I was setting up the file for download, I must have been a bit tired. :) Hope this helps. Sipapu- You're welcome. Feel free to ask any more questions you may have. I'm far from an expert, but there are a few nuggets of wisdom I've acquired (stolen, really) from better artists. :) Tirjasdyn- Glad I could help. let me know how the change affects your work. -Otis

Sipapu ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2002 at 8:18 AM

Got it! Thanks, Otis. And for your kind offer of help.

Smaker1 ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2002 at 10:05 AM

Could you, please, share the way you've done it? I tried to do the same in Bryce 4 but didn't got perfect result: when I use an infinite terrain in the "black" scene, it doesn't merge with the black sky at the horizon. Thanks

Otis4 ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2002 at 5:41 PM

file_3141.jpg

Here are the important settings.

Otis4 ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2002 at 5:42 PM

file_3142.jpg

Make sure the color settings are the same as above, and all numerical settings are at ZERO. No haze, no fog, no clouds, no nuthin'.

Otis4 ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2002 at 6:12 PM

file_3143.jpg

Now it's time for show and tell, for those who care. Here's my latest WIP using the same Brycean Blank Canvas. I treat Bryce like a normal 3D app, not a terrain generator. I think it's got an awesome renderer and is capable of fabulous images when used right. But you shouldn't approach every scene the same way. Whe creating indoor scene, you don't want the atmosphere getting in the way, so kill it. If you let it live, it will fight you the whole way. In the scene below (and most every scene I do, since I seldom do the typical outdoor Bryce environment) I approached it like a set designer and cinematographer for a movie. Build what you need for the set, and then light it.

Otis4 ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2002 at 6:18 PM

I build only what I need. I don't even built the roof, I simply imply its existence with a custom light gel and square spotlight. I fill in light in selected spots with large radial lights with low settings (usually under 5). It's better to use multiple radials to acheive a softer look. Now look out the windows. There wasn't much sky visible in the scene, so I actually used a sky image (created in Bryce beforehand . . Bryce is a paint program, you knew that right??) and applied it to an elongated cube just outside the windows. I then light the "backdrop". Voila! Sky without bothering with sun and atmosphere setting that would get in the way! Like I said, it's like a movie set, or stage play. Show only what you need to show. :)

Otis4 ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2002 at 6:20 PM

file_3144.jpg

Here are two other views of the scene so you can get a look at what I meant by the backdrop approach and building only what you need. In all of the wireframe views here, the lighst are selected (shown in red). I hope this has helped in some way. -Otis

Sipapu ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2002 at 6:51 PM

This is fantastic info, Otis! The concept of a sky backdrop is exactly what I needed to solve a lighting problem I've had. In fact, I think it'll solve a whole lot of future problems before they even come up. Yeehaw and thank you for going to so much trouble!

Smaker1 ( ) posted Sat, 06 April 2002 at 9:27 AM

Thanks for all theses informations, I'm gonna compare with mines. It's in the excellent book from Jeremy Birn (Digital Lightning and Rendering) that I learn that we get best lightning when we master everything and disable environnement lightning (sky,...). I really agree with him. Thanks again.

Otis4 ( ) posted Sat, 06 April 2002 at 10:19 PM

That's another great book, with some great lessons it it that are just as applicable to Bryce as they are to other 3D applications. Another good book in that series is "Digital Texturing and Painting". It totally changed the way I approach texturing models. It's amazing how differently I look at the world now bevause of that book, seeking out strange and beautiful surfaces to recreate. Those two books really cemented in me the idea that taking control of your lighting and texturing is the first step in mastering your 3D art. Some people focus on the models, but even the most basic of models can be made to look interesting if it is textured and lit in an interesting way. -Otis

Smaker1 ( ) posted Mon, 08 April 2002 at 3:12 AM

I totally agree with you!!! I've read them both for three or four times!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.