Fri, Sep 20, 5:35 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Grass Shader

ashley3d ( ) posted Mon, 22 April 2002 at 5:36 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 5:28 AM

Attached Link: http://ashley3d.home.texas.net

file_5394.jpg

Does anyone have a high-rez shader for seemless grass? I want to created a realistic looking building scene. As you can see, the building has alot of space all around it that needs to be filled with grass. Thanks, Ash

bikermouse ( ) posted Mon, 22 April 2002 at 6:05 AM

That must have taken a while to set up. good work. i'd like to see some hi res grass too.(sounds memory intensive.) - o.k. BYE

Kixum ( ) posted Mon, 22 April 2002 at 9:25 AM

Have you tried any procedurals? A green shader with "noise" used in the bump channel would be a good start. I'll try to cook something up tonight. -Kix

-Kix

tkane18 ( ) posted Mon, 22 April 2002 at 11:22 AM

Attached Link: http://www.ambientlight.co.uk/downloads/textures/textures.htm

file_5395.jpg

Try this site (for non-commercial use). I used their grass shaders (just jpegs) in these examples.

Kixum ( ) posted Tue, 23 April 2002 at 6:53 AM

file_5398.jpg

Here's a simple procedural for grass. The lowest case mixer in the color channel allows you to change the darkness of the green very easily. -Kix

-Kix

Kixum ( ) posted Tue, 23 April 2002 at 6:56 AM

file_5399.jpg

Here's how it looks.

-Kix

deuxabu ( ) posted Tue, 23 April 2002 at 9:08 AM

file_5400.jpg

Try to use this map in a terrain and then scale it to the grass size you want. Maybe you will have to use several terrains as tiles to reach the results you want let me know if it works or not

nivek_ ( ) posted Tue, 23 April 2002 at 12:06 PM

I'm still using RDS and I don't know how to get a .jpg into the terain editor.

ashley3d ( ) posted Tue, 23 April 2002 at 3:49 PM

Thanks for the information. I'll give it a try and let ya'll know what happens. Ash

AzChip ( ) posted Tue, 23 April 2002 at 5:47 PM

Getting a jpg into the terrain editor isn't all that hard in RDS. Once you place a Terrain in the perspective window, the four elements: Earth window opens up. Click Edit, then above the area you normally paint in, click on the little floppy disk with an arrow pointing to the right. This allows you to import an image as height field. Default is BMP, but you can select JPG or a few other formats, too.

nivek_ ( ) posted Tue, 23 April 2002 at 6:51 PM

Thank you. I can't beleive I never noticed I could do that.

litst ( ) posted Tue, 23 April 2002 at 8:21 PM

Nice lil renders Tkane18 :) Hey, when Eric's fur plug-in will be out, realistic grass will be a snap :) !

bikermouse ( ) posted Wed, 24 April 2002 at 1:04 AM

So if i want to make my own lawn I should take a really hi res digital picture of someone's lawn, load it into my computer crop and use that as a shader / bump map? interesting ... I think I already knew that but forgot.

tkane18 ( ) posted Wed, 24 April 2002 at 11:24 AM

Thanks litst...that was the beginning of my Coffee and Donut contest entry.....but it never happened. Oh well.....maybe I'll get one in this time.

deuxabu ( ) posted Wed, 24 April 2002 at 12:56 PM

file_5401.jpg

This is how a terrain looks like when you apply the map I've shown above, I don't know if it will work on ashley3d's image but it works fine for me when I need a close up. good luck, Marcelo

Kixum ( ) posted Wed, 24 April 2002 at 2:03 PM

For closeups, tkane and deux have provided excellent ideas! Has anybody tried to use a real picture of grass before? -Kix

-Kix

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.