Fri, Sep 20, 2:31 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 6:55 am)

Subject: YES!!! Lo-Res Victoria (and some questions).

Freakachu ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 4:02 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 2:26 PM

Unbelievably cool...DAZ3D does a 180 and comes around to my way of thinking: "Less IS better" I have a few quick questions about the model though. 1. Where have the polys been reduced? Overall reduction, or spot reduction? This would be the perfect model for clothing if the higher losses in resolution were hidden by conforming figures. 2. Will Vic2 owners get a break in price? 3. This is a much needed addition to the Millenial figures. Other than price, why has DAZ chosen to market a more streamlined model as a "low end" product? I don't have a problem with adding more RAM, but I like to use it wisely. This is what a few of us have been looking for to do animation projects. If the Pop-ups on the DAZ site are any indication of how this product looks rendered, then having a model look that good at nearly half the resolution is remarkable. Way to pick your polys, DAZ!

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 4:15 PM
  1. It looks like overall reduction, although they've kept more polys in critical areas like joints and face. I noticed that they've also tossed out Victoria's transmapped Upper Eyebrows. 2) I doubt it. Victoria 1 Reduced Resolution is free (for the moment), and Victoria 2 Reduced Resolution is currently on sale for less than $12. You can't get much lower than this. Maybe when Victoria 3 is released, they'll include the low-res figure in the package. 3) Other than price, it's a good promotion gimmick. It'll convince more people to buy some version of Vicky and all her accessories. And, as you pointed out, the low-res mesh is much gentler on system resources, so it's ideal for people working with animation, crowd scenes, or crappy computers (I fall into all three categories).

peejay ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 4:57 PM

has anyone actually managed to download this model yet? If so - how? regards from one very frustrated peejay

Mechanismo ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 5:09 PM

to download... i think you have to fill it in as if your buying it i.e add to basket... check out... i just tried but the page is ''down for maintenance'' dammit ...

peejay ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 5:11 PM

thanks it wasn't just me having trouble then

praxis22 ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 5:24 PM

Downloading her as I type this...

hogwarden ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 5:31 PM

Hmmm... A lucky one. My basket has emptied (so to speak!) and now I can't get back into the free section at all!! Bummer.

hogwarden ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 5:36 PM

Oh. Tried a more devious route through the link on the Vikky 2 store page... Got it! :)

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 5:37 PM

I ran Vicky 1 Lo-Res through a system-punishing animation test last night. I like to push things until they break, just so I know my limits. On a 800MHz Pentium 3 with 128MB of RAM, I can load and animate at least nine copies of V-Lo (with the low-resolution sample textures) simultaneously, without Poser having a nervous breakdown. I might be able to load more, but got bored after nine.

Look here for the video.

I could never manage something like this with the regular versions of Victoria. Not without a serious hardware upgrade.

hogwarden ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 5:40 PM

Wow!

droyd ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 6:03 PM

file_8804.jpg

After some trouble downloading yesterday. I got low res Vicky today. To the Newbies: If anybody needs help figuring out how to download her from Daz I'm sure we can help. You do have to go thru the checkout system at Daz. It's easy and pretty self explanitory. You do need a credit card but she is free and you wont be billed. Take advantage of this while you can. To everybody: What a treat! Daz you have my thanks, this was an unexpected surprise. Is it just me or does anyone else think lowresVic (and lowresMike?) are going to be standard equipment in Poser 5? That would be great if it happens. As for the "lowres" part. I think she looks great!

droyd ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 6:05 PM

Take advantage of the free Vicky 2 sample textures at DAz as well. That's what Lowres Vic is wearing in the pic above!

Lucy_Fur ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 6:12 PM

Since I can never remember my log-in/password to buy from DAZ, I buy w/o an account, don't bother entering a credit card type or number (leave it at the default) and just hit the 'continue' button to check out.

Mechanismo ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 6:42 PM

well now that youve got your free vicky what about your free gremlin.... http://www.critical-depth.com/Reviews/daz3d/ ... :)

smerc ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 7:58 PM

I wonder if we will see a low rez mike?

starmkr ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 8:00 PM

The Gremlin is free and fairy in the lastest copy of 3d magazine.

droyd ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 8:19 PM

Mechanismo, Thanks for the heads up on the gremlin, much appreciated! Downloading (him?)now.

Wadus ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 8:25 PM

a couple of questions from me now :) I have the low-rez Vicki. Will the freestuff for v1&2 work on her? I guess morphs wouldnt work but textures and clothes and stuff? side notes: I signed up at Daz and didnt have to give CC info. The Camel is also on the 3D World CD Message671414.jpg

Jackbox ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 8:31 PM

hs anyone test her yet,i think she may able to wear a vicky's cloth, what abt other items for vickys? like face morph?

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 9:28 PM

V-Lo is compatible with all of Victoria's clothing, hair, and textures. That's one of her major selling points. Victoria 2 Reduced Resolution even comes with a P4 version that can wear Posette's clothing. Because her mesh is different, she cannot use existing third-party morphs for the regular Victoria. I'm sure that people will make morphs for her, however, so it's only a matter of time.

Netherworks ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 9:58 PM

Morphs seem to be able to work by using the Tailor. :) Also, she still has the Upper Eyebrows, they are just hidden.

FyreSpiryt ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 10:23 PM

I was pleasantly surprised to see there was a low-res VickyP4 included with the low res Vicky 2. I'm cheap-- er, uh, I chose my purchases carefully (yah, that's it, that sounds better), so I have Vicky 1 thanks to a 30% coupon but I'm waiting for a sale or a Vic 3 release to get the Vic 2 upgrade. Between Stephanie, Posette, the Morphworld CD, and the Tailor, I can already do just about anything I want. For $12, though, the low res V2 was definitely worth it to me. It gives me more of a chance for other body types without having to drop $40 and/or feel guilty if I don't come up with a project for her quickly. She still looks really good, too. I haven't tried posing with her, but if her JPs are as good as Vicky 1's, my money was definitely well spent.

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 10:33 PM

Hey, you're right! I never checked the Materials panel or looked at the wireframe. I guess I'm used to the brows defaulting to not-hidden with Michael. Thanks, Netherworks.

Kalypso ( ) posted Sat, 18 May 2002 at 12:28 AM
Site Admin

Hey, some more good news is that since people had started making fc2 files instead of morphs for Vicky 2 all these work for the Lo Res Vicky 2 - she has all the same morphs with the same names so the fc2 files work perfectly! And of course, any moprh information stored in pose files apply to her as well so you can recreate your characters in Lo Res. Unless of course you used other morphs than the ones she comes with.

duanemoody ( ) posted Sat, 18 May 2002 at 2:17 AM

file_8805.jpg

The heads are spot reduction and out-and-out retriangulation. Notice that V-Lo has a different forehead setup than her older sister. Also notice that the dimple has virtually the same number of polys in both versions; you couldn't carry it off with any less. Some of the face dials have been renamed to match P4 convention, too: my basic Vic1 faces return the error you get applying one figure's faces to another, and a set of female faces for P4 do not. Another observation in next message.

duanemoody ( ) posted Sat, 18 May 2002 at 2:21 AM

file_8806.jpg

The bodies don't line up perfectly, and if you can correct this with dials you're a better man than I, Gunga Din. For now, the Tailor is probably the best bet for conversions (and I'm sure there are animators out there slavering at the thought of rendering Vic animations they wouldn't have dared before). DAZ, if you did the same thing for Mike and Steff we'd be mightily impressed. All I can say for now is "thanks."

artnik ( ) posted Sat, 18 May 2002 at 2:49 AM

I don't have a credit card, and I didn't need one to get V-Lo. I did have to give my full address info and phone. R'osity has all that info anyway. I do plan to get a debit card soon, tho. I won't touch a credit card, with their outrageous interest rates. I won't get in debt either. I am not rich, I'd just rather buy what I can pay for, and know it's mine, period. I'm not interested in making the blood-sucker banks richer. OK kiddies, I'm off the soap-box for now. Go get V-Lo,enjoy, and many thanks to DAZ for her. :0D

FishNose ( ) posted Sat, 18 May 2002 at 1:21 PM

Duane, you can betcha last buck they're going to do the same with the other figures. If they do it with their most popular figure, they will with the others. And then we'll see V3, M3 & S3, of course. And MG3 etc. And I'm sure not complaining...... :] FishNose

Q2 ( ) posted Sun, 19 May 2002 at 10:57 PM

OT RE: credit card vs debit cards

If you charge to a credit card and pay the amount within the statement period, you pay no interest (on most cards). If someone gets hold of your credit card number, makes fraudulent charges, you're not responsible for those charges, i.e. you won't have to pay for them, though I've heard from some that you might have to pay $50 bucks of it, but no more. If someone gets hold of your debit card number, and cleans out your bank account, your money is gone and you have no recourse to get it back. Debit cards suck, as they offer you no protection. I'd rethink that credit card vs debit card logic. So to summerize, credit cards offer you protection on your net purchases, debit cards don't.

If you insist on using debit cards for net purchases, have it with an account where you only keep a small amount of money in it, that way, if it's cleared out by criminals, it won't be all your money.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.