Sat, Sep 21, 4:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 3:32 pm)

Subject: Poser3 causes Win2K to Reboot

mickymouse ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2002 at 1:36 AM ยท edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 2:56 PM

I imported in a OBJ file of a Lamp into Poser 3.01 and about 30 to 60 seconds after doing so... BOOM, my screen turns black and my computer is rebooting. This is the only time this happens, no other programs make this happen, nor does Poser under other normal use. I am running Win2K with 256MB RAM, NVidia GForce2 Graphics Card and a AMD 1.8Gig CPU. The OBJ file is 28MB. Any thoughts?

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2002 at 1:51 AM

28 MEGABYTES?!? Not even George Deep's T-Rex .obj is that large.

mickymouse ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2002 at 2:19 AM

Really? I work with files this size or much larger all the time in Rhino... what should I try and keep them down to?

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2002 at 2:38 AM

Well, the T-Rex is about 14MB; DAZ's Michael and Victoria are each less than 4MB .... I can't really say. Some experimentation might be required to discover Poser's tolerance for high-res meshes, if that is the cause of the problem. It might also have something to do with the nature of the geometry itself. Are you using triangles, quads, or pentagonal polys? How many groups or materials? Every program has its limits. Unfortunately, I don't know the limits of Poser 3.

steveshanks ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2002 at 7:44 AM

only time i had this was when my cpu was overheating, try another app that really tasks the pc hard.....are you getting a memory dump message as it starts the reboot?......Steve

ronknights ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2002 at 7:22 PM

mickymouse it sounds like you've got a great computer system, and Windows 2000 Pro is a great operating system. If you can afford all that, why are you using Poser 3? It's an old program. Most likely you'll find that Poser 3 won't handle what you're doing, and that you're biting off more than you can chew.

mickymouse ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2002 at 7:45 PM

Thanks ronknights. Well, yes you are right about Poser3, but here's the scoop. I actually model in Rhino 3D and render in Cinema 4D XL 7. I only got interested in Poser because some have expressed interest in my models, so I thought I would give it a try. I kind of hate to lay out the cash for Poser if this really doesn't work out and I never use the app. Basically I don't "Pose", I model. It would only be used to get the models into Poser format. There has been discussion with our teens that we might need to upgrade to get it to work correctly. Thanks

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.