Tue, Oct 8, 4:17 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 08 8:34 am)

Subject: California Dreaming

Algorithm ( ) posted Sat, 06 July 2002 at 3:21 AM

I realize that due to the whole "duct tape" thing you can't give answers as to whether these will be implemented in v5, but could you at least say whether these on your to-do list? 1. Realistic Joint Deformation (no more jagged edges, please!) 2. Improved Rendering System (specifically, will there be shadows in the nostrils?) TIA

poser66 ( ) posted Sat, 06 July 2002 at 8:47 AM

only one thing i can think of to say how much this going to cost in u.s dollars....dam it will be three times that much in oz dollars

xvcoffee ( ) posted Sat, 06 July 2002 at 10:03 AM

file_14721.jpg

cobusp ( ) posted Sat, 06 July 2002 at 11:18 AM

I am flabbergasted!! Can't wait! I certainly just hope that those who have upgraded to the PropPack will be taken into consideation for some sort of upgrade discount as well! CObus

melanie ( ) posted Sat, 06 July 2002 at 11:50 AM

I think it was already mentioned by Steve Cooper that P4 and ProPack users will get an upgrade deal. Melanie

Hep ( ) posted Sat, 06 July 2002 at 3:35 PM

Attached Link: http://heplersfilmvideo@hotmail.com

Steve I'd be interested in doing the video on how to if someone is willing to do the instructions, someone who new the program on your staff. I'd be willing to fly out and set it up. Let me know Hep

artdude41 ( ) posted Sat, 06 July 2002 at 6:53 PM

very impressive ... now if yu guys would sort out posers rendering and lighting ..i think max users would take poser alot more seriously .. ;)

SergeantJack ( ) posted Sat, 06 July 2002 at 8:59 PM

I want it. NOW!!!

Philywebrider ( ) posted Sat, 06 July 2002 at 9:30 PM

Just Terrific!

darkphoenix ( ) posted Sat, 06 July 2002 at 9:53 PM

any chance we can move this thread to its own Poser 5 forum so some of us dont have to scroll through the thread when we are visiting the forums to read the new posts?

Philywebrider ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2002 at 5:06 AM

I wonder if CL has released information to some venders. It would be nice to have some P5 products available when P5 is released. If not, it may a while before new stuff appears (because of the complexity of the program). I also wonder if any of the current products will work with P5 (to a limited degree) or will we have to bite the bullet and start GASP from scratch. I know we can keep P4 on the desk top, but I hoped we could take advantage of some of P5's new tools. How about some on line tut's in addition to manual to help the transition to P5?

c1rcle ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2002 at 7:00 AM

philywebrider I bet the beta testers who aren't talking much at the moment will have a few things to give/sell when Poser5 appears. Rob

decadence ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2002 at 7:54 AM

Steve- For the love of GOD, PLEASE....PLEASE put a render brush in Poser 5 just like Bryce 5 has. It would make spot checking figures/props/whatever so much easier than doing a full render! Some sort of render brush is my one wish for Poser 5. I hope it isn't to late!!!! THANK YOU!!! Decadence

RHaseltine ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2002 at 9:29 AM

Kupa has already said that: Existing products will work as now (see above I think, or possibly in the thread on Vic/Dina etc.) Pricing will be in line with P4 (and ProPackers will get a better upgrade price than the rest of us) - there's a pricing thread above somewhere.

foleypro ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2002 at 10:08 AM

Cant wait and my money is being saved as we speak..Dannnggg need to write the note so I dont forget...As if sleep will be in the Agenda anytime soon...

melanie ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2002 at 10:16 AM

Everything from P3 still worked in P4, so why shouldn't it be the same with P5? Also, regarding the characters from previous versions, we all got P1, P2, and P3 figures with P4, so why should P5 not still use the previous characters? And since I'm pretty sure that DAZ is designing the new default figures in P5 (the face map in post #37 is a Michael map), then the Millennium people would still work. Melanie

cobusp ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2002 at 12:58 PM

it would be great if P5 gives an option for very low poly count characters - even thought the program seems to be getting extremely sophisticated now. These characters always come in handy when rendering crowds of people at a distance.

tyger18 ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2002 at 2:21 PM

if you guys are looking for beta testers, i'd love to volunteer....my reference are in my gallery under tyger18

DonnyD ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2002 at 3:52 PM

Wow...get back from vacation...GREAT NEWS!! kupa, Just what you've shown so far is more than I was hoping to expect from version5. Guess I got too used to other software makers upgrading to a new version with little or no improvements or new features. I really love the face room. totally unexpected by me. Time to start saving money... And if you need someone to test anything (P5, manual, suspicious coffee, etc.) I volunteer. As do most of 'Rosity, I bet. Anxiously awaiting P5, DonnyD www.donnyd.com

Crescent ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2002 at 6:47 PM

A minor thing that would really help - the ability to change the color of the font for the dials! I can change the background color, but the font modifies itself to be x amount lighter. There's not enough contrast by default, and some of us light higher contrast, and some prefer lower contrast.

Nick ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2002 at 11:29 PM

I must agree with all, this will rock to the core. My only concerns are price: i.e. will this kill my already meager resources (hey, I still haven't bought Pro Pack yet), libraries: I have tons of stuff and I'd like to keep on using them even in this new upgrade, and last but not least computer power: I have a PIII 500 with 256RAM, and have not present intentions of buying a new one until finances stable out. Been using Poser since ver 1, missed out on PP, don't want to miss out on P5 because of price gouging or 'puter limitations. It's such a great program...

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Mon, 08 July 2002 at 2:42 AM

However much Curious Labs decides to charge for Poser 5, it's going to be a bargain compared to what we'd pay for an equivalent set of features in other software packages. Hair: Sasquatch plugin for Lightwave: $599 Shag plugin for 3DS Max: $495 Clothing: Stitch plugin for 3DS Max: $495 Character animation: Character Studio for 3DS Max: $1495

Spit ( ) posted Mon, 08 July 2002 at 2:44 AM

Crescent, oh do I agree on that. The dials are so hard to read. The other thing that has been bothering me more and more lately is the tiny hit area for those teensy weensy menu arrows to change camera, memory dots, display style, and to get the menus under the document window. I just can't seem to hit the areas to click the first time. Screens are a bit bigger now than when Poser 4 came out, so the miniscule arrows are even smaller. Having the entire text 'Camera controls' or 'Camera dots' or whatever clickable would make such a big difference. Of course, if they changed the interface enough so we had real 'button' type things to click instead it would be so much easier. Changing cameras is such a chore!! And I know about the keyboard shortcuts. Yep. Two hands. I don't find shortcuts where I have to take a hand off the mouse to be, well, shortcuts. BTW, Bryce has the same problem with those teeeeensy arrows. Sylvia

Philywebrider ( ) posted Mon, 08 July 2002 at 3:07 AM

Someone mentioned that there would be a Full pkg price, a upgrade price, and a special price for Propack ownwrs.

Philywebrider ( ) posted Mon, 08 July 2002 at 3:10 AM

Is Propack out of the picture? Does P5 with all the new super option, elinimate the need for the current propack?

ronknights ( ) posted Mon, 08 July 2002 at 3:44 AM

Say do you think it's possible we'll see a "Regular version" of Poser 5, and a Poser 5 ProPack version?! That would allow for us "regular folks" who didn't need some of the extra bells and whistles to get a cheaper upgrade price than folks who wanted all the extra stuff found in Pro Pack. Message671414.jpg

c1rcle ( ) posted Mon, 08 July 2002 at 3:50 AM

someone mention an LE version of Poser5 the other day, so maybe there will be 2 versions, LE & Propack. Rob

Philywebrider ( ) posted Mon, 08 July 2002 at 3:52 AM

Hi Ron I think the P5 price for Propack owners is cheaper then the regular P4 upgrade. Steve

Philywebrider ( ) posted Mon, 08 July 2002 at 3:59 AM

I hope CL is making a big enough run of P5 software, I can see a long waiting list, and downloading will proably be swamped. P5 may be the "Tickle Me Elmo" of software market.

jval ( ) posted Mon, 08 July 2002 at 4:49 AM

"However much Curious Labs decides to charge for Poser 5, it's going to be a bargain compared to what we'd pay for an equivalent set of features in other software packages." It's only a bargain if you can afford it so although something may have a very "fair" price it is not necessarily a bargain. It does seem as if CL is attempting to make Poser more attractive to the professional user. Although Poser is certainly being used professionally for the most part its users are amateur/hobbyists. I am sure that CL recognizes this so it is very unlikely that Poser 5 will be priced in the "big leagues" just yet. Of course, this is just speculation but I think the big "K" alluded to this in a previous message (but I'm not about to check through over 300 messages.) But no matter how low the price there will always be those who either cannot afford to upgrade or just don't want to spend the money. I think we can expect further segmentation of the Poser user group and hope that people will soon specify version requirements with their freebies or tutorials. Fortunately for this group "K" has stated that our current crop of models, etc will not become obsolete in ver 5- an extremely wise move on CL's part. - Jack

Leyla ( ) posted Mon, 08 July 2002 at 8:05 AM

hi kupa (and all others;)
in max you can change a value of any kind by typing in the number and hitting enter, if you need to change that number, you just type that number and hit enter again.
in poser you need to click on that number everytime you want to change it (too slow, i hope you change that, tough the interface looks nearly the same)
i hope you can correct the problems with magnets which duplicate after save/load too.
and duplicate morph settings...
a lot of the time i spend while animating in poser i spend on correcting the animation curves (i change something at frame 30 and the whole animatition changes (between keyframes) too slow...
the 3dmax 4 plugins are instable (what about an animation exporter to max or other software)?
what about opengl support for the viewport?
what about a grouping and selection tool?
any kind of modeller? (with subdivisions, or nurbs)
network rendering?
something like the "footstep mode" in charakter studio?
how easy is it to bone (or create) a new charakter? (ready modelled)
only one "undo" step... (doesnt work all the time e.g. if you delete anything)
no autosave...
no material/map editor/browser...
no volume lights
no lens fx
no raytracing
no external (global illumination) renderers
no "serious" renderer at all (though your pictures from p5 look pretty good), it would be interresting how long the pictures took to render on what kind of machiene... important if you do animations

just a few reasons why max, maya or other software is so expensive...

though i am working with poser 4 a lot of time (and love it most of the time), i get realy agressive sometimes ;-)
for me poser 4 is the best "computer game" available, but if you try to work and earn money with it (i spend every day with poser), you get into trouble sometimes...
dontget me wrong! i am realy excited about what you announced, but i dont think it is going to replace 3d max or anything like it. (if i am wrong i would be realy happy :-)

max is so far away from poser ( in capabilities and pricing )

(yes i love poser 4 ;-)

sorry if my english is bad or sound rude ;-)
i am from germany

greetings

leyla

Leyla ( ) posted Mon, 08 July 2002 at 8:27 AM

ps: the skirt movie looks cool! i wonder if the cloth is animated manualy or computed by poser (and how long it took to produce and render)

MaterialForge ( ) posted Mon, 08 July 2002 at 9:35 AM

...and all I gotta say is now it's time to sell my renderfarm and build one or two killer machine. Looks like I'll need the horsepower for serious 3d movie work. AgentSmith - can I borrow Woody's sign when he's done with it? (grin)

TMGraphics ( ) posted Mon, 08 July 2002 at 9:39 AM

Jeepers! This has to be one of, if not, the longest thread in the history of Renderosity :P

davidrivera ( ) posted Mon, 08 July 2002 at 10:13 AM

You bet it's long! I wish never selected "Email me when someone replies". Any bets on how long this thread will eventually get?

depakotez ( ) posted Mon, 08 July 2002 at 10:55 AM

This is the longest yet. The first Radio Free Ironbear (Or RFI) is up there. I forget where it is now. But you can find it in the Tavern. Oh and I'm still drooling over P5. Tom

c1rcle ( ) posted Mon, 08 July 2002 at 11:19 AM

Leyla I don't think anyone has ever suggested that poser would or should replace 3dsmax or any of the other programs out there. poser has always been about realistic character animation and posing, I think what CL want is for all the professionals who use max/LW & the rest to take poser seriously as a character tool to be used alongside their existing programs. This might sound like laziness but why spend 6 months modelling a human shaped character in max/LW when you can do it much better with poser in 5 minutes. Rob ps you don't sound rude to me. :) pps catch another email davidrivera :) lol

Leyla ( ) posted Mon, 08 July 2002 at 11:48 AM

hi circle, i share your opinion. i am allready using poser the way you described (with max), though i used charakter studio more and more over the last time (using skinned poser figures). i was only saying that because so much people wrote that max is so expensive and you could get the same with p5... i am full of hopes too, like most people here, but since not much is known about p5, and the pro pack was REALY disappointing for me, i am not that entusiastic (i hope you can understand that word, not shure if it is english... ;-D) happy rendering leyla

melanie ( ) posted Mon, 08 July 2002 at 11:56 AM

On the subject of beta testers, I would suspect that they already have all the beta testers they need, and it's a little late in the game to volunteer now. It would be fun, but I think they've probably been testing it for some time now. Release might still be a while away, but I have a feeling that it's just about ready or they wouldn't be able to show such finished looking examples here. Melanie

mabfairyqueen ( ) posted Mon, 08 July 2002 at 12:17 PM

I agree with melanie's opinion about beta testers. I think, most people are just joking about asking for the opportunity to beta test in order to show their enthusiasm. Common sense would dictate to most what melanie just said. However, there have been one or two offers that I've read that sounded serious, so maybe there are some that have the vain hope. I have to say I think it's a very vain hope indeed. On the subject of several people putting in lists of suggestions that, if implimented, would cause P5 to rival 3d Studio Max or Maya, I have to say, silly, silly, silly. There are always people that want something for nothing and can't understand why life doesn't work that way, but, in this case, I think it's more of an enthusiastic frenzy of people expressing their wishes and dreams while they wait to find out what all P5 will really have and do beyond what we've been shown here.

geep ( ) posted Mon, 08 July 2002 at 12:30 PM

... UVMapper Pro (MAC) ain't available yet. Sorry Carolly, I haven't forgotten. Looks great Steve. Thnx 4 sharing. (hope you are getting some sleep) :o) cheers, dr geep ;-]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

garblesnix ( ) posted Mon, 08 July 2002 at 1:22 PM

There will be some good. There will be some bad. But, at the very least, there will be a "there" there. And this "there" will keep us occupied, and grinning, and bitching, and sharing, and bitching some more for a very long time. If Poser 5 were perfect, no one would have anything to post, except their work, would they? Thanks to kupa, and all you poser people.

mcmuddy ( ) posted Mon, 08 July 2002 at 2:15 PM

ja Ja lets wait and see what joe pubic gets toplay with, befor we start 'planing' all those projects. I have a pint that says its still a bitch to get clothes to fit IN ALL ANGLES/VIEWS, My Butt is always hanging out the back. Even though the front/side is perfect. Still I like the idea of hair! That has always been hard to do convincingly!

goddesspanda ( ) posted Mon, 08 July 2002 at 4:51 PM

In the 3D world, a program like Poser gives you the full ability to play God in your own world. Looks like God just got some KILLER new tools!!! Kupa, thanks to you and your team for letting us be God's in our own worlds. Its a drug unlike any other.

Leyla ( ) posted Mon, 08 July 2002 at 5:28 PM

fully agree goddesspanda ;-)

cshaftoe ( ) posted Mon, 08 July 2002 at 7:02 PM

I almost had an orgasm.....can I say that here....or am I in trouble again!?

tralfaz ( ) posted Mon, 08 July 2002 at 8:39 PM

Thanks Steve, I didn't read ALL the post so I hope this want be redundent. I agree with all the above post, this will be kickass! One of my main problems with Poser now is cross talk. I want to make scenes with alot of people in them. Can we do this easly with Poser5? (Just a thought)

xvcoffee ( ) posted Mon, 08 July 2002 at 9:01 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12357&Form.ShowMessage=773063

Poser 5 may have the capability just short of Maya and Lightwave while staying in the 3 figure bracket, but what will the next version or two of those be able to do? Theyre not going to disappear like U-Matic or 16mm film. RADIO FREE IRONBEAR is in the Tavern and ran into 638 replies. Refer to link (no, it's not the thread)

mabfairyqueen ( ) posted Tue, 09 July 2002 at 4:44 AM

tralfaz, I didn't read all the posts either, but I read most of them. Crosstalk is mentioned frequently and by several people, but your request/hope is welcomed to the list. The more the merrier, because it's a big badda problem. I just keep checking in on this thread and commenting, because it's my way of coping until I'm able to purchase it myself, not because I think I have so much better things to say than anyone else. LOL I think that's the case with several people in this thread.

Dukevalentine ( ) posted Tue, 09 July 2002 at 4:45 AM

Uh... Uh... Well... I just got up from the floor. I... WANT IT!!! Duke

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.