Fri, Sep 20, 10:29 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Fractals

Welcome to the Fractals Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic

Fractals F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 27 11:19 am)

Subject: Are you "just" a fractal artist?

SeanPratz ( ) posted Tue, 09 July 2002 at 7:13 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 10:27 AM

(Sorry, the last message got goofed up.)
I'm curious to know how many of us consider ourselves fractal artists first and foremost. About what percentage of your work is purely fractal based? What other media do the folks here work in?

You can define "art" as broadly as you like. I'd say about 70% of my computer-based art is "pure" fractal, another 15% is fractal based, and the rest is a mix of Bryce, raytracing, Terragen (fractal-based, if you're a stickler for details) and altered photography.

About 90% of all my art is CG, though I've been known to diddle with wood and paper from time to time, too.

What about you?

TheFractalist ( ) posted Tue, 09 July 2002 at 8:32 AM

I'm barely an artist at all - mostly a mathematician. I took up fractalling to keep my mind sharp during slow times at work, and it's continued on as a hobby. I understand the concepts, but I'm just not that creative a person - too analytic.

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Tue, 09 July 2002 at 9:33 AM

In terms of (current) specific output: fractaling = 75+%, other computer graphics = 25%. But. In terms of how I consider myself, I put it all into a general 'art' category, in which my fractals can either stand alone, or be used as a secondary part of something else. It all acts as grist for the mill; objects for my artistic tendencies to play with. I do 'abstracts' (mostly fractals) as play, which then envigorates me to do something that needs more precision and time to complete. Nice and vague?

RosemaryR
---------------------------
"This...this is magnificent!"
"Oh, yeah. Ooooo. Aaaaah. That's how it starts.
Then, later, there's ...running. And....screaming."

abmlober ( ) posted Tue, 09 July 2002 at 9:57 AM

Most of my "art" time goes into working with UF (cannot say fractals, cause I often make non-fractals). But a little bit of my time goes into pencil and paper.

:rolleyes::sad:
Joy of Frax

AristaProductionLab ( ) posted Tue, 09 July 2002 at 3:56 PM

Well gang...I am going to say that I leed several lives?Because,Umm.. one side of me is 100% IT Fractal Artist & the other side of me is a big old conglomeration of things...I don't feel that I could be a 100% fractal artist??Well it takes a ton of time & money to stay in the fractal HighTechnology tour circle..Message671411.jpgWhat is the fractal HighTechnology tour circle????you may ask???Well you must advertise & go to shows to sell & advertise & meat<<Ooops...Meet other folks that buy & work in your field of expertise..Right???But let's not forget where our advanced societies are located in the world???Message671411.jpgWhat do you mean aristo????Well I thought that this was going to be a short story??? Well could we all agree that our fractal art is advanced technology????Eventhough fractal art & software has been around for a few decades?? The birth of the invention is just now getting started??? Message671411.jpg What do you mean fractals are just getting started???? Message671414.jpg Well grumpy butt;fractals are finding/integrating there way into real world corporations that will use this fractal technology in the work place.Message671411.jpgWhat!!! fractals can be more that art??? Message671422.jpg Oh yea...fractal math is being used for 1.electronic file compression this also includes electronic media. 2.electronic signals=telephone,model..ect...infact there is one author who has composed a fractal telephone program{error&compression} for a national leeding telephone company that is so advanced that the company can't use the software for another 3-5yrs..??why??? It has to go through trademarking pat,pend..& the telephone company must re-doo and up-grade there current config.. Message671414.jpg WOW aristo I guess that we humans havn't realy started to use this technology??huh.. & don't forget that companies will soon be crossing fractal math with genetic algorythms/N*N. Message671410.jpgI guess one point that I am trying to make is that if fractal math was in use like computers in silicon valley,Then there would be an every day market for this technology. Message671428.jpgI would predict that the fractal art market won't see what it has been missing for probably another decade??? I know that this decade sure was shot to hell in the states..Thats just the way that I feel...You have got to have a good growing environment to flurish???don't you???Oh well maby my symmetrized sunglasses are not showing me the grand scheeme..Or I could be a re-tard...I have slacked off of my beer & football..Message671410.jpg

aartika ( ) posted Wed, 10 July 2002 at 6:29 AM

I'm not sure what I am, but I could sure use some of whatever Arista's taking!

Message671426.jpg

aartika! fractal art by Tina Oloyede :  http://www.aartika.co.uk

SkyDakini ( ) posted Wed, 10 July 2002 at 8:18 AM

Attached Link: http://www.skydakini.com

I've just been making fractal images since August of 2001. And since then I've been using Ultra Fractal and learning as much as I can fit into this brain of mine. I would have to categorize what I make as falling on the artisitic side as I don't know that much about math and the construction of fractals. I have fun playing with different formulae and colorings to see if I can get an interesting image. I'm only just now moving out of the beginner's stage of making pretty spirals, to understanding how to use gradients and merge modes to affect an image. I'm addicted... and I love it. Am I "just" a fractal artist? Well, no... I guess I am learning to become an artist with the fractal medium.

queri ( ) posted Wed, 10 July 2002 at 3:25 PM

I like a a bit of Arista's vibes, too.:)[just don't make me use the playdough smilies, they scare me] After the last few days-- weeks?-- I suppose I have to consider myself an artist. I haven't been able to make something every other day at least for awhile and it's hurt me psychologically. I can't consider myself solely a fractal artist as I use a lot of mediums. Probably I write more than I do anything else. I've been an actor and a director as recently as a year ago, if you count Pagan work and I certainly do. I think my most original work is Fractal [you know of course, I don't care if it's Truly Fractal or not] and I enjoy the freedom of CG art more than any other kind, but I miss the restraints of traditional art-- where there ain't no undo. That's why I'll hang on to lousy choices in Fractals for longer than I should, trying to get that lemon into lemonade. I haven't babbled very often in this forum-- aren't ya glad-- so my general "Art philosophy" is probably not known. I think "making things" is art. I think it's a process, not a result. And I think I can't live without it. Deep down I think all life is poorer without it. Emily

Cdeery ( ) posted Fri, 12 July 2002 at 9:14 PM

I am an artist who has a passion for fractal art. This however is just one medium that I am involved with. I really enjoy working with all types of digital art, because it is very forgiving, and it is also very flexible. I find that I do fractal art in frenzied spurts, spending days or even weeks, creating only fractal art. But then I get a new idea, and wander off into other areas of art. I also paint in oils and acrylics, and I put in a lot of time doing mixed media sculptures.

Nahee ( ) posted Sat, 13 July 2002 at 7:21 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Attached Link: http://www.fractalus.com/cgi-bin/theway?ring=fractals&id=43&go

Most of the images I create these days are computer graphics from fractal generating programs (99%). Back in the older days (1950's through the early 1980's), most of my work was pencil, pen, oils, and acrylics (no fractals). But I stopped being a professional illustrator during the mid 1970's. I no longer consider my self as anything like an "artist", or any of my work as "art". They are just experiments within the software that I use. I do still create various decorative items using wood. But this is mostly scroll work and lathe turning. Things that I occasionally sell at art and craft fairs, or at the local renaissance fair (Scarborough). And what does not sell, becomes presents for Christmas and birthdays. ;-} The only thing that I term as "art" in my daily life is the ability to apply a system of principles and methods employed in the performance of a set of activities, and the skill that is attained by study, practice, and observation of such activities.

gumbykat ( ) posted Sun, 14 July 2002 at 8:07 AM

Yes, I consider myself a "fractal artist." Once upon a time, I painted with oils and oil pastels, but I had to stop doing that when my hands became too shakey to control. So now I'm "just" a fractal artist. I have had some luck selling my art, although not a great deal of my sales fall in the category of wall art. Some, but not a lot. I've had more luck with things like calendar art, book and cd covers, posters and the like. But I think eventually the art world will catch on and then we'll be recognized. Anyway, I hope so! :-)))

FractalGrrl ( ) posted Thu, 18 July 2002 at 3:58 PM

Like some others here, I have worked with traditional art media and have had some schooling. I've also worked in the graphics field (before it was computerized, and the 'fonts' came on strips that were loaded into the machine that spit out strips of type -- yes, I am a dinosaur lol). I started getting into hand-drawn animation and that is when my carpal tunnel flared up, and after surgery, even though it's better than it was, I still cannot hold a pencil, pen, conte or pastels, or brush the way I used to, or for as long. Several years before the surgeries, I started getting into computer graphics and found I loved it, so it just seemed a natural transition for me. It was when I got online that I found fractals -- Don Archer's, I believe, and was really astounded and knew I had to try my hand at it. So, the stupid argument about whether fractalists (and digital artists), are REAL artists notwithstanding, no, I don't consider myself strictly a fractal artist (as I am also a digital and graphic artist); but that is what I do that I enjoy the most and it gives me the most satisfaction. I can't imagine ever wanting to give them up. :)

EricofSD ( ) posted Mon, 05 August 2002 at 2:44 AM

Attached Link: http://annsartgallery.com

I'm not a fractal artist, though this is a genre issue I never considered before and it is a valid one. I like oils and graphite and CG. Lately I've been almost all CG. I do have an interest in fractals cuz the Bryce labs use them, terragen uses them, and my limited experience on Pandromeda beta used them. I posted above a bryce image of lake mandlebrot. There's lots to learn here so I'll play around.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.