Fri, Sep 20, 5:55 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: Textures or plants?

thomaskrahn ( ) posted Sun, 08 September 2002 at 8:55 AM · edited Mon, 19 August 2024 at 12:06 PM

Personally, I think vue textures aren't good for simulating vegetation on close up terrains. Therefore I use an "earth"-texture and covers it with grass. But there's limits for how much grass my machine can handle. I think I've reached the limit for what most computers can handle with this picture : http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=232587 My computer can handle a bit more but it could be a large problem if you need to make large fields. This month contest "Harvest" for example.. What to do? - Thomas

drnw04a ( ) posted Sun, 08 September 2002 at 10:50 AM

You could render some of the background grass separately as an alpha plane and place that plane in the appropriate part of the scene. That would lower the poly count and leave more memory free for foreground details. It wouldn't work well for grass that needs to show shadow or interact with other objects, but could be good for grass in the distance.

rollmops ( ) posted Sun, 08 September 2002 at 1:29 PM

For "very important" plants in the foreground I either use scans of real leafs for texturing on alpha-planes or on 3d-models,created by plant-studio for example. That gives you the possibility to controll your polygons and delivers the right detailing you need.:-)

http://www.fredivoss.de 

...yippi ah yeah or something like that...

Rimkopf ( ) posted Sun, 08 September 2002 at 6:18 PM

Place line or patches of grass at strategic position so the can hide "naked" areas, that is one way to keep the poly. down.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.