Sat, Sep 21, 12:29 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / OT

Welcome to the OT Forum

(Last Updated: 2024 Aug 27 11:07 am)

This forum is a place to relax, unwind,and
discuss topics which may not be appropriate for the other forums.

Remember to stick to discussing issues, not members.
Personal attacks will not be tolerated.

We want this forum to be enjoyable for everyone.
Please read and understand the TOS before posting.

Subject: Open letter to Curious Labs

Tilandra ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2002 at 11:52 AM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 12:28 AM

Okay, I don't know the specifics of your company... where you're located, what your native languages are... but this bugged me on Poser 4 and now it's bugging me on Poser 5, which just arrived an hour ago. The statement right above the serial/registration numbers says on both P4 and P5: "IMPORTANT! Do not loose[sic] or throw away!" I would have thought someone would have caught this typo by now. It's LOSE... the word you want is LOSE! To LOOSE something is to set it free, such as "I let loose the wild pony before he trampled me." The proper context here is "I don't want to lose my car keys." I'm so sick of illiteracy in written communication since the popularity of the internet has boomed. It's sad to see a professional company with an outstanding product make such a mistake, not just on one product, but on TWO. Tighten up, CL, you're looking sloppy.

Turtle ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2002 at 12:03 PM

Lighten Up!, It actual makes me feel they are human. Which they are very nice people. The way I spell, I'm glad I don't write you letters.

Love is Grandchildren.

Niles ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2002 at 12:04 PM

Maybe it is not a typo, (example) " I let loose my serial/registration nubers on the inernet, because I am a Dip-Sh*t.

c1rcle ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2002 at 12:06 PM

maybe they spelled(sp) it the right way, they don't want people to let their serials loose on the internet.

Marque ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2002 at 12:10 PM

Weird, my Poser 4 says do not discard and my pro pack one says do not lose. Marque

Turtle ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2002 at 12:13 PM

Niles and Circle=Rofl. O:) Or like the old homework thing=I let my Dog Loose and he ate my serial number. Or in this case I Lost my dog after he ate my serial number. :O)

Love is Grandchildren.

SnowSultan ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2002 at 12:20 PM

Well I'm convinced, this is obviously the most serious problem with Poser 5 yet. The threads advising to boycott Curious Labs and not purchase Poser 5 because of this should be popping up any time now. ;) Tilandra, please try and just be happy that you got Poser 5. CL could write the whole manual in Chinese for all some of us care. :) SnowS Hoping his pictures are worth 1001 words.

my DeviantArt page: http://snowsultan.deviantart.com/

I do not speak as a representative of DAZ, I speak only as a long-time member here. Be nice (and quit lying about DAZ) and I'll be nice too.

thgeisel ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2002 at 12:22 PM

If my p5 only would be here, there could be as much typos as they want.my own english is full typos:-))

a_super_hero ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2002 at 12:22 PM

Who would prefer Poser 5 delayed for spelling checks a week or two or let out the door ASAP. I wanted my p5 as soon as I could.

poser ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2002 at 12:38 PM

Any spelling errors in a company's product are an embarrassment and should be pointed out as otherwise the trend toward disregard for proper language usage will continue. And correct spelling should not incur a penalty as far as the release date is concerned--it's a joke to think that there should be any relationship between the two.

whbos ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2002 at 12:45 PM

I agree with Tilandra. Especially at the front of the manual, this should have been caught. I'm sure the manual is "edited" by someone outside of CL. They probably inherited the typos from MetaCreations. I've worked in an editing capacity in many of my former jobs and if this had happened to any of my work, I would have been fired especially for an owner's manual. I often see poor grammar and typos all over the internet and makes me wonder if they teach English n the schools anymore.

Poser 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, Pro 2014, 11, 11 Pro

lordbyron ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2002 at 12:53 PM

Tilandra, As a college English teacher, I share your frustration at the decline of the level of literacy at the professional level. I also agree that the introduction and wide-spread adoption of the highly informal cvomputer and Internet culture has hastened much of this decline in the levels of professional literacy. Such a slackening of professional standards of communication is deplorable. To be fair, however, we "guardians of literacy" must also admit the positive aspects and opportunities that such technology offers not only to us rhetorical types, but to the potentialities of human communication as well. Firstly, the advent of word processing, with its introduction of instant update and ease of correction, has improved the mean level of written communication. For whereas the typical writer before the mid-1980s had to write out/type his whole text and print it in order to see if he made any errors, and then use a cumbersome system of white-out or mechanical correction to update his essay, now the general writer (who has always been "lazy" about correction) can correct the sentence/paragraph level mistakes as easily as he/she can type. True, this tends to make writers only mediocre as few are willing to look at grander or more holistic types of corrections, but the overall average level of composition does improve. Thus, to oversimplify, computers have made poorer writers better, but better writers poorer. this levelling, however, is democratic, and should put better writers on guard for slipping into mediocrity--a practice they would do in any case as this vigilance is part of what makes them better writers. Moreover, the primarily written (as opposed to oral or visual) nature of things like e-mail, MOOs, MUDs, or chat rooms forces a society overly enamored with visual representation to recognize (even indirectly) the continued importance (if not primacy) of the written word. In these media, the individual respresents him/herself almost exclusively in the rhetoric created by the written word. Emoticons and asuch may help, but remain insufficient to convey the breadth of human communication. How here hasn't been stung by writing a humorous or ironic e-mail to someone who took offense at what we meant as a joke? E-mail calls its user back to the age-old requirement of being careful (at least rhetorically, if not grammatically) with the language we use. This return to an understanding of the basically rhetorical nature of the world stands as a definite (not spelled "definate"--a pet peeve) boon to all who love words, both professionally and privately. Certainly the decline of rigid grammar is something to concern us; however, rigid grammar rules (a historical construction born of 18th and 19th century classism and imperialism, and not innate to languages anywhere--compare Shakespeare and Chaucer as examples) have often dissuaded otherwise intelligent individuals from expressing themselves as clearly and directly as they might have. Thus, I personally (but guarded nevertheless), applaud the OED (Oxford English Dictionary,) that bastion of linguistic conservativeness, for finally re-admitting the split infinitive into the canon of "appropriate" language. Alfred the Great, Chaucer, and Shakespeare used them, but 18th century neo-Latin prudes thought them vulgar. Personally, I wish to boldly rush in where these "grammatical" angels have feared to tread. But, like you, I do sometimes worry about the excesses of modernity. Don't "lighten up," but do be open to the benifits of change. my two cents respectfully, --lb

PoisenedLily ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2002 at 12:57 PM

I don't have Poser 5. I may not get Poser 5, cash flow ya know. But I can tell you this...IF I do get it the last thing I will be worrying about is a typo. Big honking deal. I never EVER get involved in these "contreversial" (did I spell that right? lol) threads, but this is just insanity. Kupa and the rest of the gang have worked their tails off on this. Minus some minor, to be expected, bugs I have heard AMAZING things about P5. I think maybe taking a typo to this level is a bit ridiculous. I mean, IT'S A TYPO! CL has been amazing in keeping us informed on everything, how many other companies do that?? I personally think it was silly to post that message. Ok I will go back to lurking now.

Turtle ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2002 at 12:59 PM

Life is to special to get hung up on this! I'm an old lady and they ain't taught good englishes's ever. in Our pubic shools we too buzy having a goood tme.

Love is Grandchildren.

Lady Cherry ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2002 at 1:05 PM

ok soooo who used the spell checker after writing back on this thread? oh come on face it I know you did! -Giggle- Im thinking this thread is a little, well out of hand. You have to love the human spirit and the differences we all have its fascinating. (Hopes she spelled everything correctly) -Throws on a pair of fake library glasses- Ohhh a good idea for my next figure Librarian Lady Cherry.

The Art Door and Rendervisions Community.
For Artists By Artists

Turtle ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2002 at 1:07 PM

lordbyron, Gee, you sounded a lots like my mudther-in laws, correct englsh , here and evertime, she correctoes me. :O)! In all my life I've never read anything as silly as this post. Oh what fun it's given me. :O) Lighten up and go smell the roses.

Love is Grandchildren.

xoconostle ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2002 at 1:07 PM

The irony, the irony ... Honestly no offense intended, but Tilandra's complaint contains grammatical errors. While I share Tilandra and Lordbyron's laments regarding the decline of the King's language I do feel that it's pedantic to be nit-picking on this (genereally valid) issue at this hour, in this forum. Tilandra openly admist that s/he doesn't even know where CL are located! Try this: look them up on the Web, send them a better-written e-mail regarding this issue. They'll probably act on it, if you're polite. I wouldn't suggest opening the epistle with "Okay." You're technically correct, of course, but I wonder how much you're enjoying P5? I can't afford it at the moment, so if the spelling errors are of great concern to anyone, I will be happy to enjoy custodianship of your copy of P5 until they resolve the faux pas to one's satisfaction. I hope this response doesn't also come off pedantically, but oh well... Lightening up makes sense now more than ever.

xoconostle ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2002 at 1:09 PM

The irony, the irony ... Honestly no offense intended, but Tilandra's complaint contains grammatical errors. While I share Tilandra and Lordbyron's laments regarding the decline of the King's language I do feel that it's pedantic to be nit-picking on this (genereally valid) issue at this hour, in this forum. Tilandra openly admist that s/he doesn't even know where CL are located! Try this: look them up on the Web, send them a better-written e-mail regarding this issue. They'll probably act on it, if you're polite. I wouldn't suggest opening the epistle with "Okay." You're technically correct, of course, but I wonder how much you're enjoying P5? I can't afford it at the moment, so if the spelling errors are of great concern to anyone, I will be happy to enjoy custodianship of your copy of P5 until they resolve the faux pas to one's satisfaction. I hope this response doesn't also come off pedantically, but oh well... Lightening up makes sense now more than ever.

xoconostle ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2002 at 1:09 PM

desler ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2002 at 1:11 PM

You misspelled computer there professor. ;) I'm just raggin on ya, but you can see how easy it is to miss a spelling error in something now, eh?

Lady Cherry ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2002 at 1:13 PM

Gak 3 posts

For Artists By Artists

markdc ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2002 at 1:19 PM

Spelling? You're worried about spelling? I was worried about the new rendering engine, dynamic cloth, hair, the new library system, but now I know what is really important: spelling. CL, forget about fixing bugs or adding new features, get the spelling correct. Spelling? I think I imagined this thread. I got to get more sleep. P.S. I hope there are atleast 10 spelling errors in my post. Spelling? Come on...

Tilandra ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2002 at 1:27 PM

I never said one peep when I saw the original typo on Poser 4 a year ago. However, I take exception to the fact that it was missed again or intentionally placed on entirely new materials for an entirely new product... especially after so much time spent waiting for 5. Surely I wasn't the only one to notice over the past few years? It shows a lack of attention to detail, and a lack of professionalism. I don't mind if someone makes one mistake, but I expect them to correct it. As to my alleged grammatical mistakes, I'm not placing my words on a professionally packaged product. And to the people who tell me to lighten up, notice I haven't replied to threads suggesting spelling correction anywhere else in this forum. Considering the creative spelling of the word "Dolphin" recently, and a host of others, I believe I've shown remarkable restraint :) No, I don't enjoy Poser 5 any less, but my trust in CL to create a quality product has been damaged. If they can't get a simple thing like the CD packaging spelled correctly, what in the heck are they doing to the code?? Tilandra

geep ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2002 at 1:31 PM

"Life and let life!" Dr Geep - Sept 2002 cheers, dr beep ;=|

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

PhilC ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2002 at 1:31 PM

I hate to be nit-picky, but it ain't the KINGS English. It's the Queen's! LOL Keep up the good work, CL, regardless of the typos! MrsPhilC PS No, PhilC didn't write this. He's busy building a robot dragon.

StellarDream ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2002 at 1:35 PM

Well, of course you dont really know where CL is. I heard they do development in India. For that reason alone, Ill never buy any product from them. I understand they want to cut the cost and its easier to underpay poor hamburger worshippers but programmers here also need jobs. And no wonder you get typos like that. Probably they cut the cost on technical writers, too.

Lady Cherry ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2002 at 1:40 PM

stellar what are you doing in the poser forums then hun? hehe

For Artists By Artists

mateo_sancarlos ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2002 at 2:39 PM

Maybe they shipped the software to Korea, had some guys there write the manual for $0.95 per hour, then translated it back into English.
If true, the long-awaited Spanish version should be a real laugh riot.tongue.gif

DragonWalk ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2002 at 2:52 PM

Doin't be releasing nuttin' till ya loose all the "red eye" pictures everywhere! (hope they know I be kidding....my squirrel made me say this ya know......red eyes scare squirrel, and when squirrel gets scared, it looses it's nuts!!)....(ouch!) ;-)

spook ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2002 at 6:02 PM

mateo: my understanding is that korea is too expensive for that sort of thing these days - what with multi-billion dollar corruption and the like. they do speak english in chennai, though, don't they? (waiting patiently for the upgrade package to be delivered by airborne.)

DragonWalk ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2002 at 6:43 PM

I am seeing brand new renders galore of poser 5 goodies in the poser forum and ya know...I am so impressed...Cathrina Prezak should have taken ALL the pics at those functions cause none of her textures ever have red eyes ;-)

KattMan ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2002 at 10:54 PM

Eye halve a spelling chequer It came with my pea sea. It plainly marques four my revue Miss steaks eye kin knot sea. Eye strike a key and type a word And weight four it two say Weather eye am wrong oar write It shows me strait a weigh. As soon as a mist ache is maid It nose bee fore two long And eye can put the error rite Its rare lea ever wrong. Eye have run this poem threw it Eye am shore your pleased two no. Its letter perfect awl the weigh My chequer tolled me sew. Author unknown

jchimim ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2002 at 11:10 PM

As long as they spell my name and address correctly on the package, I don't care about much else. While I agree that clear spelling and grammer are important, the main purpose of language is to communicate and record thoughts and ideas. "IMPORTANT! Do not loose[sic] or throw away!" tells me to hang on to the serial number, even with the mispelling. Mission accomplished. If I say to you "Run! A bunch of rabid buffalos is stampeding this way!" are you going to correct my grammer, or save your fanny? I also know that when it comes to editing, the laws of diminishing returns come into play. I do a fair amount of technical training development, and have fallen into that trap myself. an ever-body here noze what this senence saze...

Legume ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2002 at 8:06 AM

Spelled right on my copy of P4 and ProPack. I bet CL sent you a SPECIAL typo version just because they're SPITEFUL RAT BASTARDS.

geep ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2002 at 8:22 AM

Mine says, "IMPORTANT! Do Not Discard." ... so I didn't. ;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

MikeJ ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2002 at 12:41 PM

Strange. Mine says, "LOOK! Stay loose and Don't blow away." And it's written in crayon (burnt umber). (But it wasn't on the box or the manual. It's on the half ham sandwich that was in the box for some reason) . I figured it's a translation thing, what with them being Californians and all, or maybe they're just under alot of pressure right now.

jchimim ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2002 at 12:49 PM

Watch out for that ham! From California, it's probably some inedible meat substitute made from bean sprouts! ;)

geep ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2002 at 2:22 PM

Thanks, MikeJ. ;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

Flak ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2002 at 7:07 PM

Ham sandwich??!!?? Thats probably just the new hardware lock they're testing. Jam it into your USB port to see.

Dreams are just nightmares on prozac...
Digital WasteLanD

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.