Fri, Sep 20, 1:27 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: New P5 Characters Are Very Ugly

Georgous ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 2:33 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 1:26 AM

Y did they do that??they look like aliens..Geezuzz

fygomatic ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 3:17 AM

Just kidding. From what I've seen, I think they they look pretty good, maybe a little odd in the eye area. Plus, I'm assuming with the face room you can customize the "alien" look out of them.

casamerica ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 4:22 AM

Y did they do that??they look like aliens..Geezuzz<<< Hey! Hey! I admit I ain't no super-model! And they didn't even pay me for my time! And no Chez-Its on the set, either! Plenty of gin though. And I am part Centauri. I guess they knew that my registration was going to go smoothly and figured I should be happy with that. casamerica

casamerica ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 4:27 AM

Seriously, I have found that lighting seems to affect how ugly or non-ugly Don and Judy appear more than it did for previous figures. Just my opinion, but I seem to get decent results if I use more "moody" lighting. Don seems particularly prone to the "uglies" with too much direct light. Judy seems more forgiving. Also, camera focal length. I usually use from 80-100 for close to medium shots and 120 and up for headshots or portraiture depending on the scenes. casamerica Is non-ugly or "uglies" a word? Hmm, guess I still haven't gotten over how smooth that registration went.

FyreSpiryt ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 6:48 AM

I was promised a glass of nice old scotch when people caught up with me and the Scotch-giver and started realizing how ugly the P5 characters were. ^_~ casamerica, if you'll forgive me for paraphrasing for humor's sake, I find it amusing that the characters don't look as bad when they're poorly lit.

Sue88 ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 7:35 AM

Whether or not "uglies" is a word, I like it! ;) I agree (I actually said this about Judy in an earlier thread), the P5 characters are not very attractive, to put it mildly. If you go to the face room, you can start with a neutral face and change it, but it seems that the dynamic hair from the library doesn't fit so well then. But I just tried it once yesterday, so maybe I'll have to experiment more (and actually read up on the hair room). The other problem is, that there aren't enough morphs to shape the eyes, nose and lips. It seems that most of the controls in the face room are for changing proportions and such in the face. I wish the DAZ characters could have been made compatible with the face room, that would have been perfect!

Sue88 ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 8:57 AM

My problem isn't that they are ugly. It's true, not everybody can be a supermodel. But, in my opinion, Judy's features are unrealistic. She has no cheekbones to speak of, her lips look weird, so do her eyes, and the lips of her nostrils, or whatever they're called, are too thin. Again, this is just my opinion. I like the fact that you can change the proportions of the face. This will help the characters look more unique. Many people have complained that all the Vicki characters look the same. Well, maybe with these morphs that could change - except that the DAZ characters don't work with the face room.

zechs ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 9:25 AM

I think Judy looks a bit off... Not Ugly persee...Just like too much plastic surgery, and a mild case of Graves disease. Don I think looks fine... Hell, since i never bought Mike he looks friggin amazing compared to dork. :) I agree that there aren't enough Eye and mouth shaping morphs though, but all in all not bad. As for people who complain about Judy's proportions they are NUTS! I like a woman with a little meat on her bones!

Cromwell1 ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 9:35 AM

Well, I have been playing around with them and I do not like them. Not so much as whether they are attractive, but they are out of porportion in some areas and the models were designed for the Firefly engine. Render them in the P4 engine and their bodies are "polygonal" and not smooth.

Legume ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 9:43 AM

Here's a tip. Try adjusting the focal length of the cameras. By default, they make everyone look fish-eyed. Set the focal length to about 105 and see the difference.

Norbert ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 10:22 AM

The facial features were probably set like that intentionally. As 'neutral' as possible. That way, when you pose or morph the geometry, you're not fighting against geometry that's already been set. I've seen a similar look to base models in other programs, as well.

Basis3D ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 11:16 AM

I agree that the images I've seen so far of Judy and Don seem sort of alien ... I think it's the eyes mainly. I really prefer Mike and Vick over Judy and Don but I'm hoping that better textures will be created to make the new models seem more realistically human. I'm sure someone's already working on this. Cromwell1 ... in which areas do you think they're out of proportion? Could morphs fix this? I don't have P5 (on a Mac) so I'm just curious. :-)

Poser 2010 • Poser 8 • MacPro Desktop • Quad-Core Intel Xeon • 10 GB • Snow Leopard • Windows XP 

pdxjims ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 11:45 AM

Judy and Don look a lot better than Posette and the Dork, but they still ain't there. If Daz isn't going to do a good set of P5 compatable figures, who will? The Daz figures became the standard for P4 figures, since Posette and the Dork were so limited. I want a set with all the morphs of Mike, Vicky, and Stephanie that will work in P5. Daz made a lot of money with their characters and everything to go with them. Someone can make a lot more by creating new figures, and I'll save my pennies until they do. CL itself could offer them as addons, and they wouldn't have to pay themselves the $30 grand for licenscing fees. I wonder if you could just use Mike of Vicky parts from the objects, and build your own version in the setup room... So many possibilities...

Blitter ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 3:28 PM

too funny... a few of us made this observation months ago and most people thought the final product would look better. Man, this is a fine, and enjoyable, moment of personal 'i told you so!' :) Cromwell and Sue88 are spot on -- it's not a matter of attractiveness, it's a matter of correctness. Judy, in particular, is way off from any 1st-year art class, or anatomical reference in terms of proportion of body and form of facial features. "I glace over, VickyII is there, holding her head high". :)

queri ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 3:44 PM

I like the comment that they look good in moody lighting. In other words they're looking fine in the dark. Hell, I look fine in the dark! Still think Don is rather cute or has that possibility. Emily

LordNakagawa ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 4:30 PM

Ya know after the second or third six-pack, Judy's looking kinda hot...

casamerica ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 5:10 PM

I like the comment that they look good in moody lighting. In other words they're looking fine in the dark. Hell, I look fine in the dark!<<< Okay, okay! Bad choice of words, perhaps. After a full box of Chez-Its and a toilet bowl full of gin it ain't easy tapping out eloquent, poetic passages. ;-) I guess what I meant was that they do not look very... very... appealing in default or close to default lighting. Then again, what does? But, for some reason, as I experiment with them, their appearances seem more affected by various types of lighting than say Vicki or Michael. Perhaps it is their geometry or perhaps they have more Minbari blood in their genes, I don't know. They just seem to "react" differently under various lighting conditions. Oh, well. Take care and be well. casamerica

EricofSD ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 9:25 PM

Ugly? Only the artist. My first P5 render merely three hours after I got it installed and worked through the install glitches, was posted here in an earlier thread. Even though I forgot the eyebrows, etc, it was still way beyond what I've done in P4. Folks at work said "hey, your art is improving" and all I could say was "its the program, trust me". You want to press a key on the keyboard and soar with DaVinci (a possible ancestor of mine)?, or open a sound lab and rivel the Cremonese Violin (a confirmed ancestor of mine)?, or click a few buttons and get cudos for a new animation? Or throw in a filter and rival the early turn of the 20th century (1900's) photos of Cremonese (my grandfather)?, well, it won't happen. Put some elbow grease in it!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.