Sat, Sep 21, 9:36 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 1:47 am)

Subject: I'm Not Real Thrilled With Poser 5 :-(

sharwebb ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 1:23 AM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 9:36 AM

file_23837.jpg

After at least 30 fatal exception errors at 0028:C0059129 and a whole buncha "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down..." When I AM able to run Poser 5 I get this sort of result: see picture enclosed. I went to the materials room which shows the figure on the left and when I went back to the main screen the figure is STILL left, instead of centered...obscuring the camera controls and the memory dots. I have a feeling ANOTHER reinstall will be needed to get rid of this one. In addition Poser hangs, complains, and acts up in virtually every function. :-(

Sharon

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 1:33 AM

UHHH!!!! I thought so!!! I better wait till Poser 5.0.1 for the bugs to be ironed out.

sharwebb ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 1:43 AM

That fatal exception error should read: 0028:C0059A29. Had the number wrong above. Sharon

timoteo1 ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 1:45 AM

What OS are you running?

sharwebb ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 1:48 AM

I'm running Win 98A on an AMD Athlon 1700+mHz, with 512 MB memory and 80 GB hard drive. Sharon

JeffH ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 1:51 AM

Shouldn't you upgrade to the final version of Win98?

Artist3D ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 1:54 AM

I have WIn98 Se and it blows too.Does not allocate enough memory to Poser

sharwebb ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 1:57 AM

Sorry, JeffH, I typed Win 98 A, but I MEANT Win 98 SE. Sharon

leather-guy ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 2:10 AM

I used to get similar errors constantly when I used 98. Problem was that OS wasn't capable of protecting itself from having critical DLL's overwritten by nearly any program installation that tried. The errors were reduced tremendously by updating to 98SE, and running the "hidden utility" SFC (system file checker) weekly to keep abreast of such vagarities. I don't think SFC was present until 98SE. Running the latest Norton SystemWorks might help. Updating to XP last year eliminated any exception errors since. I think I had similar Poser interface problems a couple of times back when I had 98, but they pretty much vanished when I realized I should start maintaining my OS myself. Poser 5's requirements list compatibility with Win98 according to the box; Perhaps you could visit MicroSoft's Windows update site for 98 or running some diagnostics to see if your copy is healthy and up to date. Not saying it's not really a problem in P5, but I'd look elsewhere first for the source of this particular problem. Good luck tracking it down. Jerry

Norbert ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 2:26 AM

Installing the updates that were between Win98a and Win98 SE would be a great start. There's more to 'fatal exception' error messages than the numbers you posted here. Usually there is a 2 digit designation before the numbers. Like "OE" or "06". Then, somwhere after the number you posted, there's usually somthing said like "IN ------" , the dashes being whatever driver or file was in operation when your computer crashed. Possibly a "VxD ---somthing---" or "MODULE---somthing---" That's the important part of these error messages. If you put that info into an online search engine, you'll probably find web pages that'll tell you what these errors are caused by.

timoteo1 ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 2:32 AM

Do yourself a HUGE FAVOR ... upgrade to an OS with an NT (aka kickass) based kernal. I personally recommend WIN2K-PRO, but XP is nearly as good. You will NOT regret it, and probably shed tears of joy ... and sorrow, at not having done it sooner. My machines are all Win2K Pro and they run 24/7, 365 basically and have YET to crash. The system is amazingly stable, and apps themselves RARELY crash, and they don't start bringing the system down either. It's a fairly simply upgrade too ... on one of my machines, I didn't even do a clean wipe first ... went right from Win98 ... no problems, it was beautiful. -Tim PS> The only "gotcha" is if you have some legacy hardware that WIN2K does not have drivers for, so XP might be your better bet in that case.

Marque ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 2:42 AM

I've seen a lot of posts from people having problems with AMD, could that be it? Marque

EricofSD ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 2:51 AM

Sharon, out of curiosity, did you ever run a program from Roxio or Adaptec called CD creator 4 (or even 5)? If so, uninstall it. I'm on a dual boot system, but only have P5 running on Win2k pro. Very stable. I can't say enough about that OS at this point.

FishNose ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 2:56 AM

I've had CD creator since version 2, it's NEVER collided with anything else.... in spite of all the tricky s/w I use. As to operating systems - I finally switched from 98SE to 2K this summer, and oboyoboy, what a difference..... Now Poser only hangs when the scene contains 100 props and 150 texs and the like. Before it crapped out with just 2 figures.

geep ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 3:06 AM

Sharen, I'm not sure it's Poser's fault. I'm running WinXP, 1.9 MHz uP (Dell computer) 1 GB RAM 80 GB HDD Haven't had any lockups or problems yet after 4 days. My "old" 'puter ran Win98SE and I did have problems from time to time. cheers?, dr geep ;=|

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 3:07 AM

Sorry, Sharen = Sharon. ;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

EricTorstenson ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 3:26 AM

I agree with all those who recommend 2000 (or XP). I use 2k at home and work, and have only a few hangups a week (mostly with microsoft products....believe it or not) You might check your drivers and consider doing a quick re-install of windows if you must stay with 98 (just pop the CD in and start the install). Exceptions generally mean that something did something really bad. If poser was doing this directly, those who are using non NT machines would be reporting core dumps and other types of errors. Most likely, a dll is out of date, or corrupted. Frankly, for the $150, you really can't find a better upgrade (unless you have hardware that doesn't work) I think TigerDirect had OEM win2k for sale for about that much. Not sure how easy it is to find it anymore (but you don't have to worry about MS spying on you, nor the registration limit, etc that comes with XP) eric

Artist3D ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 4:52 AM

What about ALL my software that I have that was loaded a few years ago BEFORE WIN2000 and XP.Now they wont work right?

FishNose ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 5:12 AM

Of my 50 or so most important apps, only 2 didn't continue to work in 2K. I spent 3-4 days scouring the web for all the updates and fixes and stuff for every single app, game and hardware driver to function under 2K before I started the rebuild. Saved everything on cd's. Also I made sure I had all the original cd's etc available before I killed the system. And serial numbers!! You can always upgrade, then 2K lies on top of 98, and takes over control of the apps. You might still keep some problems over the upgrade though, if you're unlucky. Best is of course do what I did, clean out and reinstall EVERYTHING. The apps I mean, not data files such as Poser Runtime. Those I backed up and simply restored. It all took me 2 weeks but it was worth it. :] FishNose

timoteo1 ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 5:20 AM

As I mentioned, on one of my machines that's running WIN2K PRO, I upgraded on TOP of Win98 with ZERO problems. I think there were one or two apps that needed a couple of new dlls or something, but it was surprisingly painless.

Kiera ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 6:52 AM

Gotta agree with most posters here.. my windows 98 machine was a nightmare with any app more complex than microsoft word 97. Bryce and Poser crashed all the time. Do yourself a huge favor and get Win2K or XP. I use XP and haven't experienced a non user related Poser 5 crash yet. (My machine got a little pissy with me when I accidentaly added 300,000 hairs rather than 3,000 to a section I was working on. ;)

movida ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 7:08 AM

No it's not the AMD processors, it's Win 98, go to WIN2K, your machine will probably never crash again

Dale B ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 7:26 AM

A few questions, Sharon; (1) Did you set your Pose room to your satisfaction, go to edit/preferences, and set the flag for launching to preferred state, and pushing the button to set that preferred state? (2) Did you install the 98-SE UHCD update patch from MS? This is an essential timing patch that allows Windows to run stably with processors above about 700mhz. Without it, 98-SE can and will do strange things (this was supposedly and Athlon patch, but is was more a matter that AMD hit the built in speed bump first). (3) What version of Direct X are you using, and what video card? The changing of the -active- part of the screen like that seems to indicate that your system is changing the active control layer of your screen resolution when it pages, dropping probably to the default 640x480. The same effect when you get a funky video driver install, and it scrunches all your desktop icons into the upper left corner. (4) Have you ever run Norton Utilities on your install? Any time you install anything to Windows, no matter what version, there will be some sort of crap left behind in the registry, and in the case of ActiveX-COM keys, well, those are like land mines, just waiting to be stepped on. If you can, you may want to upgrade to Win2k Pro. If you have multiple partitions, or multiple drives, you can install 2k on a partition other than C: and you have a dual boot system that gives you the best of both worlds. 2k doesn't have much in the way of legacy support, and XP is a royal pain in the sphincter rectus. Also Win2k only requires a serial number, no phone calls to Unca Bill (unless you insist on using the latest versions of Media Player). There are more drivers out there for 2k that XP, and with a little judicious grafting you can put nigh onto all of the eyecandy from previous versions of Windows into 2k, if you want.

ronmolina ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 7:59 AM

I really cant add much to this but have to agree. You should get the very latest Service Pack release from the microsoft site. Not sure but I think there were 2 with 98SE. I can also tell you win98 was a diaster for me. Had problems with every mayor app I ran. Finally bit the bullet and went to Win2K pro and boy almost everythigng cleared up. P5 has not crashed or done anything funky so far after a week of playing with it. Ron

wolf359 ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 9:00 AM

Im a MAC user but I have a Pent4 PC at my office running win2k pro. win95/98, like mac OS9, is DEAD!!!! modern day 3D applications need modern day stable OS systems Get wink2k pro and make your life easier. -wolf359- founding member of the "12 animators"

My website

YouTube Channel

Jackson ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 9:34 AM

I have to agree with everyone who says upgrade your OS. But I also have to admit, I have a machine with 98SE and everything works fine, including Poser 4. I also have to tell you the machine on which I'm running Poser 5 has XP Pro and I suffer from frequent freezes, too (only with P5, that is). So the OS change may not help. But you should do it anyway...it won't hurt.

glennjan ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 12:30 PM

I get the error message when trying to render in a new window ...renders in work window fine???Only with a couple of models ...win98se...amd...512...40gig....1.4....fatal error 0028:c0059c8d...reinstalled everything including clean install of windows nothing helped ...good luck ...I will be upgrading to xp even though that is the only problem that I have had

glennjan ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 12:33 PM

uh sorry I should include with previous post that the errors are in poser4 and curious labs and daz or anyone for that matter have a fix for this ...That is why I wont get Poser5 unless xp fixes the problem :)

WiNC ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2002 at 9:57 AM

Why should someone have to upgrade to a NT OS when they have stated that the minimum requirement for the software is: Windows 98, 2000, ME or XP 500MHz Pentium class or compatible (700Mhz or greater recommended) 128MB system RAM (256MB recommended) If it only works better in a NT kernal wouldn't it be correct for them not to state it works in Windows 98/ME?

leather-guy ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2002 at 4:52 PM

Poser 5 seems to work well in most such systems. For those having problems, it's likely an OS upgrade to a fresh healthy install of a more stable OS will fix many or most hidden problems in the user's system.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.