Wed, Oct 9, 12:20 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Technical

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 06 11:55 pm)

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum.

Where computer nerds can Pull out their slide rules and not get laughed at. Pocket protectors are not required. ;-)

This is the place you come to ask questions and share new ideas about using the internal file structure of Poser to push the program past it's normal limits.

New users are encouraged to read the FAQ sections here and on the Poser forum before asking questions.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: A bug or fault with a conforming garment

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Wed, 25 September 2002 at 5:22 PM · edited Wed, 09 October 2024 at 10:17 AM

file_25058.jpg

I thought that IU knew how to make conforming garments. For example, I have made conforming scuba diving wetsuit hoods and once a pair of conforming spacesuit boots and they worked OK. I made a wetsuit jacket, see this image. Its .CR2 file is a copy of .CR2 file of the Poser 4 Nude Woman (alias Posette), except that I redirected the **figureResFile** lines and deleted all the actors and materials that are not in the wetsuit jacket (neck, head, forearms, hands, etc). If I load the geometry files of it and the Poser 4 Nude Woman (alias Posette) together into a mesh-editor, it fits her perfectly. If I load both as Poser characters onto Poser's stage, it fits her perfectly. But if I tell Poser to conform it to her, it goes out of shape. Anyone got any ideas why?

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Wed, 25 September 2002 at 5:23 PM

(Its zip is intended to be open.)

bloodsong ( ) posted Wed, 25 September 2002 at 7:41 PM

Attached Link: http://www.3dmenagerie.com/

heyas; that happens a lot with the chests. do you have an empty neck actor in your conformer cr2? i think putting that in there is supposed to fix this. ah, i see you deleted the neck. put it back in ;) always keep empty actors that are one generation removed from your last body part. so if you have a chest, you need the neck and collars. you have forearms, you need the hands. also, you shouldn't be using the p4nw cr2, you should be using a zeroed-out cr2; either a pre-existing clothing item, or one you create yourself. you can see my 'painlessly easy conforming clothing' tutorial for more info.

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Thu, 26 September 2002 at 1:59 AM

Thanks. I have just done this: I put the actor back for the neck, and the distortion got less. I put the actors back for the forearms, and the distortion got less again. I tweaked the Tran's of the wetsuit's hip and BODY, and the distortion disappeared. But, what is "empty actor"? Do you mean the initial "short actor", e.g.:- actor rForeArm:1 { storageOffset 0 0 0 geomHandlerGeom 13 rForeArm } or the main actor? By "empty" do you mean "delete all its channels" or what?

pragask ( ) posted Thu, 26 September 2002 at 3:14 AM

One reason may be the conforming figure has a Side-Side init Value not set to zero . You can check for it in the channels section of the chest actor in your cr2 or text editor .

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Thu, 26 September 2002 at 4:04 AM

I checked for that.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Thu, 26 September 2002 at 6:54 AM

I've tried using the CR2 from the base figure, even followed Bloodsong's tutorial but without success (sorry BL!) The easiest thing to do here is to borrow the catsuit CR2 which should have all the parts you need. I have yet to discover exactly what "oofle dust" you have to sprinkle on a figure CR2 to make it conform properly.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Thu, 26 September 2002 at 6:58 AM

file_25059.jpg

I had a similar problem with a similar garment. 8o

EnglishBob ( ) posted Thu, 26 September 2002 at 6:59 AM

file_25060.jpg

But it worked ok with the catsuit CR2.

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Thu, 26 September 2002 at 11:04 AM

In my case, the wetsuit jacket behaves nearly right, but sometimes it goes somewhat distorted and I must do this:- 1) Select the wetsuit jacket. 2) Call the Joint Editor Window. In it click on "zero figure". 3) Zero its hip's xTran and yTran and zTran. Then the wetsuit jacket goes correct.

bloodsong ( ) posted Thu, 26 September 2002 at 4:43 PM

heyas; anthony, if you plug the wetsuit into the catsuit cr2, open it in poser, then save it to the library, poser will create the 'empty' actors for you. take a look at the cr2 afterwards, and you'll see what i mean. the top actor list has just the 'actor bodypart.' the storage offset and geom stuff just isn't there. the controls section will have all the joint stuff for the 'phantom' body part. this is what causes the parent body parts to be bent correctly and stay (more or less) on the body. the addchild and weld parts of the figure section will be in there, too (although the welds aren't really necessary). the reason you need to 'zero figure' and set the body/hip trans to zero is because you haven't done that before you made the figure conforming. if you zero everything (including the body/hip trans), and memorize the figure, THEN save the cr2, that step is already done. that goes for you to, bob. after you zero everything you MUST memorize the figure, then save it to the library. this is the usual problem when my painlessly easy technique fails to work. usually. ;) then again, maybe you used victoria, which for some reason doesn't seem to respond to this conforming therapy.

_dodger ( ) posted Fri, 04 October 2002 at 2:14 AM

Another potential thing I discovered whilst teaching myself this stuff, mostly from Bloodsong's tuts... Do not not NOT atempt to edit a CR2 file for a conformer in cr2edit. I don't know why... well, I kinda do, but I don't know why it only seems to really affect conformers... Basically, I was trying to pull out MTs in CR2Edit and things kept going awry. I could not figure out what I was doing wrong, kept thinking I was pulling somehting I shouldn't have by accident. Then I got a wild hair up my arse and decided to simply open an existing Mike clothes CR2 and save it to a new filename from CR2Edit. No changes at all. It was hosed. Mangled. Looking at it in CR2Edit it looked identical to the original. I think the lines are flipped or something. I'm not really sure. But since then I've done all my CR2 editing in gvim (www.vim.org) and I'm having success now and even hacking in new body parts and things ('hood', for instance, in my hooded cowl) and it's been working fine.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Fri, 04 October 2002 at 4:16 AM

Vim looks interesting for all sorts of things at work, rest, and play. Are there Poser specific scripts online already? Or should we consider creating some? :-)

_dodger ( ) posted Fri, 04 October 2002 at 12:40 PM

Welll, if you can figure out how to build a custom syntax for poser and OBJ files, my hat will be off to you! I generally just use the C syntax settings, but I'd be thrilled if someone came up with a Poser or OBJ syntax colouration set. As far as ascripts -- I never use vim scripts myself, though I know a few people who do. For scripting, I use Perl when I need it because it's what I know best. But if vim catches on amongst Poser creators, I'm sure there will be a lot of demand for Poser VIM scripts.

FyreSpiryt ( ) posted Sun, 06 October 2002 at 8:52 PM

Dodger, if you're talking about the free CR2Editor, for some reason it outputs the CR2 file upside down. The lines are in reverse order from what they should be. But, if you open and save it again, it'll flip them again. For Anthony, I've sometimes gotten that problem when the neck is after the collars in the heirarchy. Open the hierarchy editor and see if that's the case. If so, I think you can rearrange the parts there and resave from Poser.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.