Thu, Sep 19, 5:19 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 4:23 pm)

Subject: P5 for Mac?

CDunbar ( ) posted Tue, 15 October 2002 at 4:29 PM · edited Sat, 03 August 2024 at 6:52 PM

Heya Cooper - what's the word on P5 for the Mac.. no word for awhile other than "an announcement is coming soon" - about 8 weeks ago.

timoteo1 ( ) posted Tue, 15 October 2002 at 6:10 PM

Depends on your definition of soon. However, I think they're extremely busy trying to work out all of the kinks for the Windows release. (Although, I'm happy and relieved to report that the SR1 did wonders ... for me at least.) They defintely have to get the Windows version working correctly before they even begin thinking about a Mac version. Of course I'm not Steve Cooper, but this would follow logic and good business sense anyway. Also, just FYI ... I know there were some serious issues with Apple (wow, what a shocker ... Apple being a pain in the ass for software developers, no!) causing a delay. -Tim

jerr3d ( ) posted Tue, 15 October 2002 at 7:44 PM

Not being a programmer I probably don't know what I am talking about. But I am curious. Wouldn't CL have a team of Pc programmers, then another seperate team of Mac programmers? I heard the mac version is to be a port of the Pc version, but since they are diffenent, at some point can't they just take the Pc version and port it. I mean, if the mac version is different then they don't have to have a perfect Pc version to port?

timoteo1 ( ) posted Tue, 15 October 2002 at 8:00 PM

That COULD be true. But my guess would be they need to make real money before they could devote resources to the Mac version. While the percentage of Mac Poser users is surely higher compared to that of the overall PC marketshare (around 4-6%), it's still not high enough (for CL at least) to compete with the demands of Windows platform users. Also, as I mentioned above, last time Steve talked about a Mac version, he mentioned that Apple was (basically) giving them a really hard time. -Tim

wolf359 ( ) posted Tue, 15 October 2002 at 8:21 PM

I look on the apple free OSX downloads website and see a new OSX programs Almost everyday from small independent developers and konan developed his morphing program for OSX without any whining about apple not holding his hand through his programming and i wont even mention how well lightwave and Cinema and MAYA run on OSX We Know we cant Bame Bill gates for all the system crashes BSOD's that are STILL happening on windows machines with poser5. So i supect that CL is wasting to much time on a poser5 version for the outdated inefficient OS9 an OS that cant even perform 2 tasks at a time like rendering and web surfing. they should embrace the future of the MAC and concentrate on an OSX version in my opinion. -wolf359 founding member of "the 12 animators"-

My website

YouTube Channel

greenbd ( ) posted Tue, 15 October 2002 at 9:07 PM

I agree. Poser 4 is the only OS 9 application I regularly use anymore (my scanner driver excepted), and although it runs fine in Classic mode, running two systems at once takes away precious RAM from Poser! I do hope CL will release P5 for Mac soon, especially if it's fully Carbonized.

mikes ( ) posted Tue, 15 October 2002 at 10:18 PM

Good points, wolf359. After seeing the mess this team created with Poser 4.0, and now 5.0, I can wait quite some time for a Mac release.

mateo_sancarlos ( ) posted Tue, 15 October 2002 at 10:21 PM

My intuition is that they are going to have a major reorganization and that the question of whether there'll be a Mac version will be cleared up after it's done. Just a feeling based on the corporate history of Poser so far.

JimX ( ) posted Tue, 15 October 2002 at 11:22 PM

I hope they get it all figured out soon. I don't really care whether it is a Carbon (OS 9 and X compatible) or just OS X version. I can run either one now. But I feel rather left out of the community, not being able to discuss the Poser 5 issues (and not being able to play with the Poser 5 goodies). And I suspect that at least 25% of the Poser community is Mad based, like me. - JimX

JimX ( ) posted Tue, 15 October 2002 at 11:23 PM

Uhhhh.... That's "Mac based" not "Mad" based. Brain fired tonight. - JimX

JimX ( ) posted Tue, 15 October 2002 at 11:24 PM

"fired" --> "fried" Nuff said.

asrai ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 7:28 AM

You said it wolf... To show some faith, you would think the least CL would do is offer up a Carbonized version of their plug-ins...alas, I suppose that's Apple's fault too...:-)

dan whiteside ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 8:41 AM

What's funny is that I would have pre-ordered Poser 5 Mac but not after seeing what happened on the PC side. I'm going to wait until a Mac user tells me it's worth getting. Not only that but Steve's comment about Appple sure didn't leave me with a warm and fuzzy feeling about CL's ability to produce a useable version for OSX. Steve also didn't do CL any favors by posting mis-leading infromation (the problem is Poser's legacey code not OSX) so that now whenever this comes up, we get PC people (who know nothing about the Mac) parroting his comments. For a person like me that has unequivocally supported Poser for almost 8 years I find this rather sad.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.