Sun, Oct 6, 8:27 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Has anybody bought the DAZ Platinum Club membership?

Dizzie ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 12:07 AM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 6:33 AM

while it's on sale for $50....it sounds like a great deal but I know I could spend another $50 in the first 10 minutes at $2 each...LOL just looking for opinions.....:>)

Lorraine ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 12:09 AM

WELL YOU WILL BE HAPPY YOU DID THERE ARE MANY THINGS OFFERED!

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 12:12 AM

Going by the two previous threads on the subject, a number of people have already subscribed and cleaned out half the Club store. And they only stopped there because they already own the other half. I suppose I'll be subscribing tomorrow, although I really should be saving my money for hardware instead of software.

thebert ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 12:15 AM

Yes, I've purchased it today and only the Club. I'm waiting until friday and see if they come out with more stuff before getting anything else. But I think it's a great deal

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

EricofSD ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 12:23 AM

I did it a while ago. Some things in the club that I just recently bought at full price, but not much. There's a long thread earlier today about it. I think its a good move for DAZ and even though P5 is WAY beyond P4, there's still a strong market for DAZ stuff. Great quality. The way I see it, we'll not be seeing high quality models/dynamics for the full P5 capability for a year or so. CL might want to rethink their EULA as it applies to DAZ. Of all the folks who have offered models, RDNA and DAZ are tops IMHO and to lose DAZ over a stupid power play is a mistake. Remember the Jobbs Gates philosophy differential back in the 80's? Jobbs (Mac) wanted to control things, Gates (dos/MS) wanted to create a market place. Look who rules now and look at who's in the unemployment line.

neurocyber ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 1:12 AM

Is there more of the store in the membership area? I can't seem to find the stuff I'd seen listed last week from the nonmembership side.

Lapis ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 1:24 AM

"CL might want to rethink their EULA as it applies to DAZ" Couldn't agree with you more Eric, they are shooting themselves in the foot the way it is worded. It may scare away even more 3rd party devolopers. You also echo my picks for top modelers DAZ and RDNA. I'll bet you that when DAZ brings there poser like offering to market that they won't scare away 3rd party developers with a similar EULA. Your MS/Apple analogy is right on. As far as the DAZ promotion, very smart on their part although the name of the card could have been more clever. Even with the dorky name though, I'm signing up tonight!

hauksdottir ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 1:31 AM

Careful, Eric... Dan Farr is a member of this Forum. Comparing him to Bill Gates (a rabid control freak, illegal predator, and paranoid monopolist are among the polite things I can say) is probably a violation of the TOS. Also remember that DAZ has a very restrictive license concerning their own models... and just last June this Forum was up in flames over our fears about what legally could and could not be created based upon, derived from, or designed for these models. And there was that flare up in April.... And February, something in February, but I'd have to look it up. If DAZ wants to protect Michael and Curious Labs wants to protect Don, what is the difference? Neither company is the glowy white sheep or the gritty black. I see a whole lot of grey wool, and I see a couple of concerned shepherds worried about the wolves on the hillside. If the shepherds are trying to get better pasteurage for their sheep, or more value for the wool, or more loyal customers, well that is just good business. If rocks get thrown by the sympathisers, OTOH, that is just plain wrong. Carolly

mizombie ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 2:07 AM

I got in on the club earlier today myself. Figured i would save me some money since it going to be a while before P5 is out for the Mac (if it actually does). if DAZ is making a poser-esc type apps, hopefully it will be out on the Mac first since the pc guys got P5 (along with the headaches)

Lapis ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 2:11 AM

"if DAZ is making a poser-esc type apps, hopefully it will be out on the Mac first since the pc guys got P5 (along with the headaches)" (LOL) Careful what you wish for, it may just come true! Does the word "betatester" mean anything to you?

EricofSD ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 2:49 AM

Carolly, no personal offense towards anyone. I'm in the same camp as my brother who thinks Mr. G should be in jail for crimes against the economy (long story) and some programmer friends who see their stuff on win every day with no royalties and no money to sue the monster. Congrats to Stacker on the doublespace thingie. What I said about Jobbs/Gates was merely history, nothing more. We all have our opinions, and so do the courts for that matter. Still, its a lesson on control vs. power. The two are not the same. There was a time back in the 286/386 days when Intel wanted to create market frenzy so they helped AMD. Then they yanked the chain when they thought they had the power. An arbitrator gave an award to AMD that was way beyond what a judge could do and as a result, well, er, some think AMD has passed up intel. My thoughts are that where there is a freedom of creativity, things flourish. Where there is control, there are wilted roses. Most lose from single vision blinders. All benefit from a full garden. History has a way of repeating itself. Yeah, I remember the DAZ protection of their copyright. There's a rule about that which all copyright folks need to observe which is protecting your work to a reasonable degree. Fail the rule and you may find your work in the public domain. They did it right. But I digress. Time will tell. And remember, as the poet said, time and tide wait for no man. CL and DAZ are on the move each reaching for a market share. CL had the lead and released before it was ready and has the scorn. DAZ held back and is still developing. Who will come out on top? Time and tide will tell.

Lapis ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 3:06 AM

I wonder what Faith Popcorn would say. I know Lapis agrees!

sargebear ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 4:17 AM

the DAZ card.. its a Good thing. save alot folks alot of money for high quality models. i personally recommend it to those who are watching their pennies.

shadowcat ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 4:24 AM

Ok, everybody cross your fingers for me. I need to raise the $50 before the sale ends. #$%*ing worker's comp. won't even be mailing us a check until the 25th. It's bad enough they held up my hubby's surgery for a month & a half, now they are going to cause me to miss out on a good deal at Daz! Those bastards!

Lyrra ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 6:06 AM

Well I coughed up for the membership on sale - and snapped up the hairmodels I'd been eyeing for more than a year. So I paid the same as if I'd bought them straight, but still get the nifty price on club stuff, plus reduction on older pieces. Which gives me a happy. I'd been not buying their stuff, since their prices are deservedly higher - since I'm a starving artist. For a serious Poser user, this club is IMHO worth it So along with PWFW, PropsGuild - get DAZ Platinum :) Lyrra

FyreSpiryt ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 6:20 AM

It is ABSOLUTELY worth it to me. There's a lot of Anton's stuff that I wanted, but couldn't justify the price for. At two bucks a pop, I got my membership back in price savings by the end of the evening. (Heck, I got it back on the changing ponytail collection alone.) And I spent a good portion of the evening giggling like a maniac because I was having so much fun shopping.

Eowyn ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 6:27 AM

FyreSpiryt, you sound like me :D I was giggling like a maniac all evening too, my SO was looking at me and shaking his head :D Eowyn <- Finally owns the changing ponytail collection

Dale B ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 7:15 AM

To quote the late Jackie Gleason; "How sweet it is!" :)

Desdemmonna ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 7:24 AM

Hmmm...maybe getting it tonight? Our purchase email addy is on the fritz again.

who3d ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 8:04 AM

It's a pity that so many models - Millenium Dragon for example, or the dinosaurs, or... - aren't part of deal :( If MD was I could recoup over half the membership cost 'cos I only just bought him last month!

Misfire ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 8:24 AM

Well, you would have been able to save 30% on the MD. I signed up for the Platinum Club last night and finally sprang for that Stephanie texture I've been eyeing. It's too bad I already spent a mint on the Changing Ponytail last year, but there's a lot of other Club stuff that I'll probably scoop up soon. :-)

noggin ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 8:54 AM

Its an incredible deal_ just signed up_and boy am I gonna have fun tonight! I just hope there's enough new input to keep us all interested. Be quite nice to see the regular addition of stuff from the back catalogue too..all those great animals etc

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 10:46 AM

Yeah, DAZ sucked the credit card right out of my pocket. There is a bunch of items I have wanted to get for a long time. This was a fantastic deal. Need to look at getting a bigger hard drive. Peggy

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

pdxjims ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 11:00 AM

I spent way too much. I got an even 50 items. There's a good mix of old, really nice stuff, and brand new, really nice stuff. I'm wondering how they're going to follow up though. Are they going to be adding new items to club on a regular basis? The $50 for the membership was well worth it to me to get everything I did for so cheap, so I'm not too worried if they ever add anything else, but it would be nice to see even more. This deal rates up there with PoserWorld (well, almost - PWorld has even more for $60 a year - and no $2 cost).

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 11:06 AM

I just bought it, and now I'm a downloading fool. :) Hey, I even bought some dragon textures - and I don't have the dragon yet!

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Dizzie ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 11:10 AM

They say they will adding things to it "weekly"...won't that be fun!

Hiram ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 11:23 AM

Hi. My name is Hiram, and I'm a Poserholic. I didn't buy it yet but I'm going to. I discovered it yesterday while at work. I work in an office. In a cube. A real Dilbert kind of place. Imagine me trying to contain my glee, bouncing in my chair at all the killer junk I've been wanting but couldn't afford. Now imagine me trying to explain my excitement to non-computer geek, non-artist, non 3D-type people: ("But it's the Rulers of Egypt! And the Treasures of Egypt and their textures! All mine for six bucks!!) Then try to imagine me explaining to my boss why I wasn't on task and the new county percentages weren't online yet. doh! My bad, I'll get right on it.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 11:45 AM

Somebody posted a message the other day, to the effect that we're all really playing with electronic Barbie dolls. You know something? I think they had a point. :)

My Store

My Gallery

Crescent ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 12:32 PM

shadowcat - talk with DAZ and see if you can get an extension for the discount. I think they'd let someone wait an extra day or two rather than lose the sale, considering your circumstances.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 12:46 PM

Oops. I think we broke the store. I just went back to hunt down some templates and none of the links seem to be working. :(

My Store

My Gallery

chohole ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 1:04 PM

Oh, don't say that . I have just spent all day catting up the other half, and he finally agreed to an early christmas pressie, just to shut me up. Hope it is OK again by tomorrow.

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to develop  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 1:06 PM

It's working again - but it's sloooooooooow.

My Store

My Gallery

idolitry ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 1:20 PM

Yep, I'm guilty as well, I really like the look of the carousel. I figure with the savings on the full price stuff in the platinum club I'll easily get the cost back several times over. Nice one DAZ

noggin ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 5:07 PM

Yep be warned its very very slow to bring up the download box (6 minute wait was my worst before the save as box came up) don't click out during this phase as it counts as a download! Although I must say Reba was very nice and reset my download when I messed up my droid download. So much cool stuff!

Hiram ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 6:12 PM

I just made a big order and it worked fine - the second time. The first time I spent about half an hour building my basket up, carefully deciding what I wanted for right now, and when I went to check out my basket had overturned. Nada, Nothing. Zip. Zero. Your Basket Is Empty.

PheonixRising ( ) posted Thu, 17 October 2002 at 10:18 PM

Hey there, Yeah the site is a bit slow cuz there is alot of downloading going on. Hang in there. -I will check into the end date of the promotion and see if it is firm. -Releases will be Mon & Tues and not Wed & Fri as they are in Premier. -New stuff is weekly. Only exception is if something crazy or strange happens like a meteor, illness or something. -Don't forget you get a permanent 30% discount to use in Premier on non-Club items. -Nothing has been removed from Premier -For now just use the nav bar at the top. Don't depend on the "store" text link. Final Store Interface and graphic changes will happen soon. Anton Daz3dPlatinum Club Carolly: Why are we not glowy white?

-Anton, creator of ApolloMaximus: 32,000+ downloads since 3-13-07
"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

NEW The Poser FaceInterMixer

Jcleaver ( ) posted Thu, 17 October 2002 at 11:15 PM

The only problem I have had is one file, Vicky's Changing Fantasy Suit Mappak -- Drow Defender. It only would download to a file of size 117,114 bytes. I know some files are smaller than others, but this is a little too small. Besides, it doesn't even try to install. I tried all three times on different days so I think the file itself is bad. Sent email to DAZ a couple of days ago, waiting for response.

PheonixRising ( ) posted Fri, 18 October 2002 at 7:30 AM

These are the people in the Daz neighborhood. I'll send them an email about the Drow Defender texture. Website problems: reachel@daz3d.com Installer problems: ryan@daz3d.com

-Anton, creator of ApolloMaximus: 32,000+ downloads since 3-13-07
"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

NEW The Poser FaceInterMixer

Crescent ( ) posted Fri, 18 October 2002 at 8:26 PM

Jcleaver - the Drow file is bad. I had the same thing happen to me. If you have any downloads left see if you can redownload it. I e-mailed Daz with the issue as well and they got me a working copy, so hopefully they fixed the store file.

Jcleaver ( ) posted Fri, 18 October 2002 at 8:31 PM

They emailed me the link. I had used up all the downloads trying. Thanks.

melanie ( ) posted Sat, 19 October 2002 at 11:58 AM

Hiram, it did the same thing to me. You have to log in first then make your orders. I found it out the hard way. Melanie

shadowcat ( ) posted Sun, 20 October 2002 at 3:48 AM

Doing the happy kitty dance!! I got my hands on the money! I just got $200 worth of stuff I've been wanting for quite awhile for $60 (membership fee included of course)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.