Fri, Sep 20, 3:34 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Photoshop 7 freezes on me - why, and what can I do about it?

SeanE ( ) posted Sat, 12 October 2002 at 8:46 AM · edited Wed, 04 September 2024 at 7:46 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=260354

Ok...have just got hold of ps7. I have installed it on a laptop with 256 RAM, 20GB HDD (with 10GB free) a 900Mhz proc. and running WinXP pro. I opened the app up and after the usual intro screen got a warning saying that my history volume and (*something* - can't remember) were the same and that I should change this, preferrably to another drive entirely (which I don't have as an option) I searched the help files and they said pretty much the same thing and that preferences can also be changed. So I did so, upping the scratch disk size from 110 to 180 (out of 228 available) and changing the disk destination to C:/ from 'scratch' as that was the only other option available there. This had the effect of making the freezing occur a little later than before but it still happened. By freezing I mean that the entire laptop comes to a halt and I have to unplug the power and remove the battery to get it going again. Of course anything since the last save is lost. Now, I did a pic called "Red Mars" (here on rendo incidently) and that was only 90kb eventually and didn't cause a problem. However, when I did my tank girl pic which is what I normally do with photoshop (see link) I got the freezing problem. The tank girl psd file was scanned at 200dpi and took up about 2Mb all up with 8 or so layers. I eventually resorted to my old trusty PS 5.0 to do that pic. So... What is the problem? How can I fix it so my laptop doesn't freeze on me?

Heronheart ( ) posted Sat, 12 October 2002 at 3:14 PM

This may be an XP problem. Occasionally there's a problem with the CD drive that causes CPU usage to go through the roof. Make sure your XP installation is up to date and remove any CD's you might have in the drive. You can also try the Photoshop forum at www.adobeforums.com Hope that helps, Ken Heronheart

dreamer101 ( ) posted Sat, 12 October 2002 at 4:51 PM

I am using WinXP Pro on 2 desktop machines. Both have Photoshop 7 and have never had a problem. I have heard of that problem before though. It was also someone using a laptop with WinXP Pro. They reinstalled Photoshop 7 and all seemed ok. BTW...Does your reset not work on laptop should it freeze up like that? Unplugging power cord and removing battery is a little extreme.

Slynky ( ) posted Sat, 12 October 2002 at 10:41 PM

if you hold down the power button, after about 10 seconds it should reset, or power off.

trick-art ( ) posted Tue, 15 October 2002 at 9:45 AM

This is a WinXP problem. I've seen it before, and it's not limited to laptops. I'm afraid that the only solution I've found that worked for me...or more to the point, my roommate, whose computer was freezing...was to re-install a couple Adobe programs. If you've got Illustrator (especially version 9 or earlier), that's one of the ones that needs re-installing, along with Photoshop. Apparently, the trick is to install Photoshop after installing Illustrator...if you're running Illustrator 10, same deal. My solution on this one is based on a theory of mine, which is to install the programs in the order of their release. In any case, it hasn't let me down so far. Near as I can figure it's something having to do with the color management systems, although I'm pretty sure Elvis has something to do with it as well.

trick-art ( ) posted Tue, 15 October 2002 at 9:49 AM

Oh, as I was saying when I started the message...it only seems to happen on XP. So, if you feel particularly ballsy, installing another OS, like 2000 or ME or 98 will also work...but it really is more trouble than it's worth. In any case, it's not really an Adobe problem, it's a Microsoft problem. It just has an Adobe solution...says a lot about the way the software companies are going, huh?

SeanE ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 3:47 AM

Just photoshop 5 and acrobat 5 as adobe products installed

mugsworth ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 11:25 AM

XP came loaded on my latest laptop; as soon as I began installing my software problems popped up. Yep its all been updated and service packed all to hell with M$ latest bug fixes; but the truth of the matter is simple too date far too many problems with XP. My PS 7 froze repeatedly even after turning off color profiles and using a default. RAM was set to 80% Windows was stripped down to the minimum requirements to run. My solution to the problem; I dumped XP and loaded in my win 2000. Since doing so I've had absolutely no problems, everything runs faster, memory usage is far more effecient and I can run Illustrator, PhotoShop and Dreamweaver MX simultaneously without a lock up. Change your OS for something more stable and wait for the bugs to be flushed from XP pro.

ladydawg ( ) posted Fri, 18 October 2002 at 5:36 PM

I've been busy for the last few days, and one of the things was getting a new computer PIV 2.53Ghz, 512 Ram 120HD XP. I had just gotten to setting up PS 7 when I got hit with the same problem. It had to do with the Scratch disks. So I uninstalled and reinstalled, still the same problem. I then tried the Program Compatibility Wizard in XP and it fixed it right up. No problems with it now..No more error messages. Knocking on wood..... Thank God. I was not looking forward to putting in a new OS again. I still have a ton of work to do yet.

dreamer101 ( ) posted Sat, 19 October 2002 at 1:54 PM

file_27186.jpg

As I mentioned before, I am running WinXP Pro and I am running Photoshop just fine and without partitioning my drive (which I find a bit extreme). I have my Scratch Disk as Startup. Remind me not to ask any questions here in case I get the same such rude reply.

SeanE ( ) posted Sun, 20 October 2002 at 1:49 AM

:+)

Turtle ( ) posted Tue, 29 October 2002 at 8:54 AM

Have you installed the patch or update to 7 to 7.01? I didn't even know it was out. but I put it on yesterday and it seems to run a whole lot better. I hate to sound stupid but what in the heck is the scratch disk?

Love is Grandchildren.

retrocity ( ) posted Thu, 31 October 2002 at 7:11 AM

turtle,
the "scratch disk" is an equivalent to virtual memory (well sort-of... easiest description). Photoshop requires alot of memory to perform and store (history) all the little changes done on the file. Having a drive partitioned off and using one of the segments as your scratch disk allows PS to work faster and smoother (especially if the "drive" is defag'd and used just for PS work...)

This is NOT totally necessary, Adobe recommends it but PS will run with your "start-up 'C'drive" selected as your primary scratch disk. You will get a message (it's not an error message, just a warning/comment) stating you should have a different drive designated other than your startup.

outside of that, you can alway purge your "history" and other memory intensive areas to keep running smoothly. Nothing worst than working on a job and finding out "There isn't enough memory to perform this function" when you go to save your work!!(had this happen to me!)

:)
retrocity

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.