Sat, Oct 5, 6:19 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 5:47 am)

Subject: Animation Question

Chris ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2002 at 10:57 AM · edited Sat, 05 October 2024 at 6:17 AM

Hello all, I have started on an animation that will get sound. My question is what the best framerate is ... should I use 30 frames per sec or should I use 24 frames ( like for analog camaras)? For what I get the better result when I import the animation into Logic Platinum to make my sound effects? Please excuse that silly Q but I'm really new with animations :) Thanks in advance Chris

"It Is Useless To Resist!" - Darth Vader

ablc ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2002 at 11:13 AM

24fps is the human eyes capability. Pal used 25fps. u should set to 25fps or 30 for ntsc their is no impact for the sound, except for lips synchro of course... Laurent

MaterialForge ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2002 at 11:16 AM

Attached Link: http://msp.sfsu.edu/Instructors/rey/VIDEOPGE.HTM

The frame rate has no bearing on the sound quality - although if you switch back and forth, your sync will be off, so choose one at the outset and stick with it. I use 30, it's just easier for me to round numbers with. And Logic doesn't care which frame rate you use... The other Posimators could go more into technical detail on frame rates than I can, since my forte is the sound. But I have yet to see where frame rate matters with sound, since sound is traditionally added in post-production. Here's only one of many articles that will give you some info (see link) --Donnie Posertrax.com Music & Sound FX for Posimators www.posertrax.com

Chris ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2002 at 12:21 PM

thank you both for your replys ... as I understand it right the framerate does not matter for applying sound in post production? So I can make an animation with 30 fps and then apply my sound effects in Emagic with no problems?

ablc ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2002 at 2:16 PM

yep, no real impact. Laurent

MaterialForge ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2002 at 3:12 PM

Chris, Exactly!

saxon ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2002 at 4:11 PM

Hey ho! Late as ever.. All the above excellent advice, the only thing I'd add would be to ask what the animation's for? If it's for the web you should consider 12 fps...

Nance ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2002 at 4:42 PM

saxon has the right approach. "Ideal" frame rate depends on your final output media and venue, with consideration given to any intermediate production processes and equipment that will be used.

Chris ( ) posted Sat, 07 December 2002 at 3:02 AM

Saxon ... its a "normal" animation, not for web. As I know myself (I'm an animation newbie)it will take 2-5 years untill I have finished that animation ;) ... but I will show you all when its done. I think I will start with 30 fps and see what comes out. Thank you all for your replys and help Chris

EdW ( ) posted Sat, 07 December 2002 at 11:55 AM

I tend to work at the smallest frame rate I possibly can while working on the animation. It cuts the number of frames down to work with. I normally work at 6, 12 or 15 frames per second unless there is dialog. Once I'm pretty well done with the animation I will retime the animation to the frame rate I plan on using. Doubling the frame count at and retiming the animation will get you to your 24 or 30fps ( 6 to 12 to 24 and 15 to 30). This work very well for me with animations that don't have dialog. If they have dialog then you need to work at the higher frame rate. Hope this helps some and I didn't confuse you. Ed

Norbert ( ) posted Sun, 08 December 2002 at 3:12 AM

You mean "Emapple's" Logic, don't you? Apple bought Emagic and promptly ditched all future development or support for PC's. 'Logic' for PC became a dinosaur before the final update was even released.

Chris ( ) posted Sun, 08 December 2002 at 3:18 AM

Norbert: that are not good news :/ Yes I have Emagic's Logic Platinum ... didn't know that it is not Emagic any more. Chris

Chris ( ) posted Sun, 08 December 2002 at 3:21 AM

EdW: one quesetion :) How can I retime an animation in Poser? As I said ... I'm a total newbie with animations :) Chris

EdW ( ) posted Sun, 08 December 2002 at 9:56 AM

Chris.. It's done from the Animation menu... First add frames to your animation... say you currently have 100 frames @ 15fps... increase the number of frames to 200.. Make sure you have a figure selected. Any body part will do. Now go to "Animation" "Retime Animation" in the menu. A dialog will open to retime the animation for the current figure. select the original length of your animation in this case 1 to 100 in the top group. The second group should already say 1 to 200. Click "OK" You need to do this with every figure in the animation. Some times depending on the type of interpolation you are using you may need to add a few keyframes or tweak some of the parameters. Hope this helps. Ed

Chris ( ) posted Sun, 08 December 2002 at 1:36 PM

Thank you EdW ... that sounds easy :) I'll give it a try :) Chris

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.