Fri, Sep 20, 4:49 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: How do I get people to look at my site?

DigitalDreamsDS ( ) posted Fri, 19 December 2003 at 10:27 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 4:30 AM

I just made a website for my poser textures... but can't upload anything to freestuff. How would i get more people to look at it??

biggert ( ) posted Fri, 19 December 2003 at 10:46 PM

maybe if you put some female figures IN THE NUDE sporting the textures id take a look at it....LOL....no juz kiding.... =) try listing it on Yahoo

dagar ( ) posted Fri, 19 December 2003 at 11:03 PM

you could have put your link on this post ;p good luck Dagar

SndCastie ( ) posted Fri, 19 December 2003 at 11:29 PM

I have mine listed on my homepage here and also include it in some messages if it concerns looking at my web site. There are also search engines out there you could sign up for. There are a lot of free ones. Just a thought.

Sandy
An imagination can create wonderful things

SndCastie's Little Haven

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Fri, 19 December 2003 at 11:32 PM

Can you spell NVIATWAS? (Jeez! Can't anyone be serious?) Seriously... is it a paid ISP? Or Angelfire (or whatever)? How about including a link on your site for the R'City webring?

GabrielK ( ) posted Sat, 20 December 2003 at 12:03 AM

I'll echo everyone else who said post a link to it. Ditto for submitting your site to the renderosity webring. Plus you get your nifty own lil "sponsor" link under your gallery images and freebies. Curious people are sure to click on every now and then.

geep ( ) posted Sat, 20 December 2003 at 12:11 AM

I'd go look at your website ... ... but I don't know the "Address" ... is it a secret? ;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

elizabyte ( ) posted Sat, 20 December 2003 at 12:20 AM

Well, it's a good idea to use appropriate content and text so that you get a decent ranking in the search engines. Also, submit to dmoz.org and to Google. If you can get it listed in either (dmoz.org being the biggie), it'll get listed in all the other search engines in a relatively short time. Put your site on some content-appropriate webrings. Renderosity has a ring, so does Poser Pros, so does 3-D Arena, so does Rendervisions, and there may be few digital art type rings that would be suitable. Post images to the gallery here, and make sure you have your URL listed in your profile. It'll show up under all your images. These are just a few suggestions. There are probably others. Oh, and posting the URL in this actual thread might be helfpul... ;) bonni

"When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch." - Bette Davis

elgyfu ( ) posted Sat, 20 December 2003 at 2:45 AM

If you have interesting things on the site, and submit it to Yahoo etc then people will come running.

PhilC ( ) posted Sat, 20 December 2003 at 5:26 AM

Why can you not put anything in the freestuff? It is possible for the link to go to your freestuff web page. This will get round those sites that do not allow external linking to files.

philc_agatha_white_on_black.jpg

FishNose ( ) posted Sat, 20 December 2003 at 6:24 AM
  1. Put cool stuff on your site 2. Make lots of noise :] Fish

elizabyte ( ) posted Sat, 20 December 2003 at 6:42 AM

The last time I bothered to check, Yahoo was a paid-only directory. You couldn't just submit sites to it. Well, you could, but only if you spent money for it. Has that changed? I admit I never use Yahoo any more (other than their customizable news page). bonni

"When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch." - Bette Davis

randym77 ( ) posted Sat, 20 December 2003 at 7:04 AM

Put up a home page here at Rosity - I notice you haven't yet. Put your URL on it. And get a sponsored link under your gallery pics/free stuff. (It's easy!) Google will find your site soon enough, especially if other people link to it. Once Google finds it, Yahoo will, too.

dialyn ( ) posted Sat, 20 December 2003 at 9:10 AM

Attached Link: PBellows's Totally Poser Website with free textures for Judy and Vicky

Assuming "Totally Poser" is pbellows website, it is already part of the webring and is showing as a sponsor of gallery graphics. To increase traffic, be sure to place your link whenever you post so people can find it easier to find, and advertise your free downloads on the forum (as you have done this time) so people know when there is something new on your site.

Melory ( ) posted Sat, 20 December 2003 at 9:35 AM

doesn't everyone have file locker space to use?

Visit My Blog!

dialyn ( ) posted Sat, 20 December 2003 at 9:43 AM

Attached Link: File Locker information

Only if they purchase the space. But some people (like me) prefer that to having to deal with the maintenance of a website.

majesticartist ( ) posted Sat, 20 December 2003 at 9:45 AM

altho I dont have a Poser site,I do have a graphic site for PSP..lots of tubes n shapes etc...and 1 essential element that I have found in getting people to my site is meta-tags..meta tags are like keywords that describe your site in the search engines and list them on every page of your site and not just the main one, and it doesn't hurt to join a few webrings as well.

Kendra ( ) posted Sat, 20 December 2003 at 9:46 AM

Get creative with your artist page and link to your site from there. I put a smaller version of my interface on mine and it goes to the main sections of my site. Announce your freebies with a link to your site, etc.

...... Kendra

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Sat, 20 December 2003 at 10:10 AM

Well, I can see it's not a "paid-for" site. Geocities. Don't they have a restriction on "hot-linking" or downloading? Can't remember. This may be the problem with freestuff that was mentioned.

elizabyte ( ) posted Sat, 20 December 2003 at 10:19 AM

Regarding META tags, the last time I checked, Google totally diregarded meta tags. Some (but not all) other search engines still use them, and dmoz.org uses them at the discretion of the editors, and search engines get links directly from dmoz, but due to so many people abusing META tags to get their sites unfairly listed/ranked, Google and others just plain ignore them. Another very, very useful tip is to make sure you use ALT tags on your images with appropriate descriptive content. Search engines DO read those and rank accordingly. bonni

dialyn ( ) posted Sat, 20 December 2003 at 10:32 AM

I love finding new resources for PSP.

PandaPride ( ) posted Sat, 20 December 2003 at 11:27 AM

okay where's the link? it's that easy really, post it here and we'll all flock to it! lol anything that says "free" people tend to run towards it.--Essie

GabrielK ( ) posted Sat, 20 December 2003 at 9:12 PM

No kidding! The word "free" does seem to hold some kind of magical power. I put up a thread not too long ago announcing a free pose set for Vicky 3 and according to my log page I had almost 300 downloads within a 24 hour period. Another 700 or so within the next week once I submitted the file to freestuff here. One shudders to think how much traffic would have come my way if my poses were actually any good. ;)

DigitalDreamsDS ( ) posted Sun, 21 December 2003 at 10:53 PM

Sorry about posting the link... hope you all check it! It is www.geocities.com/totally_poser/ Again sorry about forgeting to post the link!

JohnRender ( ) posted Tue, 23 December 2003 at 12:51 PM

This is going to sound very mean, but it is contstructive criticism:

How NOT to get vistors to your site:

• Host on GeoCities, Angelfire, or any site that forces pop-up windows on visitors. While visiting three pages on your site, I received one pop-up on the main page, one pop-up on the Downloads page, one back on the "main page". I hope your "free" site is worth annoying visitors.
  • Make sure NOT to put any instructions on your home page. All I see is a huge graphic, a "Online" button, a counter, and a few Bravenet links. Is this your entire site? What should I click? Why should I click? How do I know if there is anything here that will interest me? Whoops, times up. I'm bored. Nothing of interest here. Next site.
  • "Site under contruction". Did you know that it takes almost the same amount of time to make a page that says "under construction" than it does to make a fully working page?
  • I'm glad that everything in your store can be paid for in money order, but it would be a tad nice if the link for the store actually worked. Yes, I know the site is under construction, but why put a graphical link on the site if it doesn't work?
  • However, you do get points for not taking visitors to a "page not found" page.
  • And to really, really nit-pick: you say you are in "college", yet you misspell the word "please" (you spelled it without the last "e"), the word "suggestion" (in your main-page blurb) is spelled with two "g"'s, and "their" (also in the main-page blurb) is spelled "their", not "thier". People may conclude that you either can't spell or that you are too lazy to check the spelling.

Maybe other people won't point these things out, but they do register subconsiously with people. If a site has misspellings or links that don't work, people become frustrated and leave... and may not come back.

DigitalDreamsDS ( ) posted Fri, 26 December 2003 at 3:10 AM

Thanks for the advise and all but I would appreciate if you wouldn't exaggerate on my stupid typeos. I worked too hard on the site to get ridiculed for stupid mispelled words... everyone makes mistakes. And like I said, I'm working on it, if people just gave me a chance I'll have more stuff on there. I know I'm NOT going to be a big sucess right away, but at least I'm getting my feet wet. BUT, still tanks for pointing out the things that annoy you, I'm sure you are the only one that would have taken the time to give me harsh criticism... but please do not embellish the fact that sometimes I can't spell ok. And please keep in mind not everyone can AFFORD these websites that don't have popups or unlimited bandwidth. I also appologize if you found my site boreing but as i stated I'm new at all this and I'm just trying to get my name out there so I CAN get the money to have a better site.

elizabyte ( ) posted Fri, 26 December 2003 at 11:32 PM

I don't think anyone was necessarily ridiculing you. It was honest and helpful advice. If you want people to visit your site, you need to make it as easy to use and as inviting as possible, or people will simply leave. That's the truest statement ever made about general web design. Make the visitor uncomfortable, confuse them, annoy them, etc., they won't stay to see what you want them to see. shrug You did ask how to get people to visit your site... ;-) bonni

DigitalDreamsDS ( ) posted Sun, 28 December 2003 at 10:41 PM

I appologize for being so defensive.. and yes Bonni was correct.. I after all did ask. Heh, I supose I need to be able to take harsh criticism better. I'm still going to work on my site as much as I can before school starts again. Thanks

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.