Sun, Sep 22, 4:34 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 4:30 pm)

Subject: Collision detection help needed!

Ymer ( ) posted Wed, 14 January 2004 at 8:09 PM ยท edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 4:27 PM

Hello. I'm having some problems with Poser5. I try to use the collision detection but I can't make it work. I add a pants to my figure, set the collision detection on for all the parts of the pants, then I set the collision detection on for the hips and legs of my character. Finally I turn on collision detection from the meny and conform the pants to my character, tada- no improvement. Small patches of skin still break through the pants when i try different poses. I need help. This is driving me mad! Dan

PhilC ( ) posted Wed, 14 January 2004 at 8:26 PM

Attached Link: http://www.philc.net

Yep I also thought this way initially, however Poser 5 collision detection does not work that way. You'll need to be using the Cloth Room. Take a look at the Poser 5 tutorials (Tutorials button) on my site. I wrote them after I figured out how to do it. Hope they help you.

philc_agatha_white_on_black.jpg

mickmca ( ) posted Wed, 14 January 2004 at 8:52 PM

CD works outside the Cloth room, but I think it checks collisions of normals. Your conforming clothing (which won't pay any attention to Cloth Room settings) has its normals on the "outside", just like the figure, so they aren't "colliding." Collision detection in the Cloth room only works on dynamic cloth. You can actually use BOTH CDs on the same object (handy with dynamic Hair, for which the Hair room CD is the pits). In the Pose room, you can use CD to do things like wrap a hand around a stick. Turn on CD for the hand, its children, and the stick, and then either set CD on (they can't collide) or set Show Intersections and you'll get bright red whenever two CD-flagged polys collide. Mick

Poseur ( ) posted Wed, 14 January 2004 at 9:50 PM

For a quick fix, you can use the Properties palette to make the offending body parts invisible. For instance if the hip is poking through the pants, uncheck the "Visible" setting for it. Obviously this only works for body parts that are completely hidden by the clothing or are off-camera. If the shins poke through the bottom of the pant leg, try using the scale and taper dials on the pant legs to adjust their shape, or deform them slightly with a magnet. As Phil suggests, the Cloth room also works well but requires a bit more computing power and time.

mickmca ( ) posted Wed, 14 January 2004 at 9:54 PM

I'm confused. He says he's "conforming" the pants. How are you going to use the Cloth room on conforming clothes? Good suggestions for alternate solutions, but I would hate to see him go waste hours trying to get the Cloth room to solve his problem.... M

Ymer ( ) posted Thu, 15 January 2004 at 4:15 AM

Thanks for the help! I feel better knowing more about the problem. I'm a beginner poser user so I think I'll try and use the quick fix and turn off all the bodyparts that poke through (I can't believe I didn't think of that:)). And when I get the time I'll check out PhilC's tutorials, they seemed great. Poser is definatly not easy byt maybe some day I'll learn to master this program!:) Dan

hauksdottir ( ) posted Thu, 15 January 2004 at 6:32 AM

Stewer and Nerd also have tutorials. Bloodsong has tutorials. SAMS3D has tutorials. And Dr Geep has "primers". I think someone (Crescent?) was compiling a list of sites with tutorials, so you might want to look under Backroom Resources at the top of the page... I think that's where they were put. There is a wealth of information. :)

Lawndart ( ) posted Thu, 15 January 2004 at 3:22 PM

Attached Link: http://www.3-AXIS.com

1. Go to the link provided 2. Go to the demo section of the webpage 3. Select the demo movie for "Pose Room". It actually SHOWS the collision detection being used. It should help in giving you an idea on how it works. Cheers, Joe

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.