Sat, Sep 21, 6:19 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 3:32 pm)

Subject: Displacement makes edges come apart...

Gromit ( ) posted Mon, 09 February 2004 at 4:00 AM ยท edited Sat, 27 July 2024 at 6:36 AM

I'm new to using displacement mapping. I've created some objects then mapped them in UV Mapper, going through the procedure to split vertices and assign different material groups to adjacent surfaces to keep Firefly from rounding off the edges. Now everything works fine until I try to use a displacement map on the object. When I render, I end up with the different material groups separating at their edges so you can actually see inside of the object. Am I missing something here? Is there a fall-off setting or something that should be used with displacement to avoid having the edges displaced away from each other? Gromit

ynsaen ( ) posted Mon, 09 February 2004 at 5:51 AM

In your render settings, next to the checkbox for displacement, there is a little box for numbers. The numbers here must be higher than the number you use for the displacement setting in the material. The setting there may need to be very high, if you are dealing with split vertices, and the displacement will not carry evenly through because of those split vertices (at least, I'm pretty sure abot that last bit, double check with stewer or other smart folks)

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

daverj ( ) posted Mon, 09 February 2004 at 1:28 PM

I also feather displacement maps so they fade to black at the edges of each material so the edges don't stick out.

stewer ( ) posted Tue, 10 February 2004 at 10:07 AM

Put a Math node between the texture and the displacement channel that subtracts ~0.5. In contrast to bump maps, the neutral value for displacement is 0 (= black).

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.