Sun, Oct 6, 10:38 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: WIP Stained Glass

drawbridgep ( ) posted Mon, 29 March 2004 at 1:06 PM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 3:59 AM

file_104055.jpg

Here's a wip I've started this morning. (I haven't put final textures on the walls or the floor yet. The floor is using the stock plank)

Notice the stained glass semi-oval? I've put that in as a semi-transparent 2d plane and it looks OK in the window, but the light coming through hitting the wall is just gray.

So, my question is, does any know of any good tutorials for making stained glass, or getting the colours of light shining through a 2d image to show as colours on a wall?

OR do I have to make it as several lattices? A different one for each colour?

(The chair is by the ever talented Tony Lynch)

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

ddruckenmiller ( ) posted Mon, 29 March 2004 at 1:24 PM

Given the colors shown, the combined effect might really be 18% grey.... Did you test with something drastically blue or red to verify non-transmission? Regardless, it looks like it will come off very well.

drawbridgep ( ) posted Mon, 29 March 2004 at 1:38 PM

I'm not sure, but I don't think it will help. Light seems to flow through a 2d plane at the same amount and colour, non dependent of the picture on the plane itself. Notice how the shadow cast is a rectangle, rather than the oval. So having black parts to an image doesn't reduce the amount of light flowing through the plane. I think I may have worked it out anyway. I forgot to set the transparent mapping thingy....

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

ddruckenmiller ( ) posted Mon, 29 March 2004 at 2:22 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=637030&Start=1&Artist=ddruckenmiller&ByArtist

I have no idea about all the fators that come into play but look at all the color transmittal from the dogwood blossoms (each of which is a pic on a 2D plane) to the doorway...

Erlik ( ) posted Mon, 29 March 2004 at 2:29 PM

drawbridge, create a light gel with white semi-oval and the rest black. Of course, you then need two lights. Or you can do a complete doorway silhouette. BTW, looks quite good.

-- erlik

drawbridgep ( ) posted Mon, 29 March 2004 at 2:46 PM

file_104056.jpg

ddruckenmiller. That works well in your picture, but probably because the door way and the creepy looking spider are both solid and not translusant. So I'm guessing the shadows are effected by ambience?

I think I've worked around it. I like Erlik's idea of the light gel, but was sure it could be done without. Prety happy with this. Just a few more tweaks I think.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

ddruckenmiller ( ) posted Mon, 29 March 2004 at 2:59 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=637031&Start=1&Artist=ddruckenmiller&ByArtist=Yes

That's coming along nicely, soften it up to approximate real-world quantum mechanics and I'm sure it'll be accumulating all kinds of votes. Like I said, I haven't really figured it out yet, I just know that in Rude Awakenings I got mad color transmittal - yet in Restless Dreams I didn't - and the only differences between the two are in the skylab settings...

drawbridgep ( ) posted Mon, 29 March 2004 at 3:04 PM

:-) Great minds think alike, I just changed the soft shadows settings. The skylab does seem to make all kinds of changes. Even if you have a cone light with visible light and you can see the rays, change the sky and the rays disappear. Bryce is weird, god bless it.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

ddruckenmiller ( ) posted Mon, 29 March 2004 at 3:08 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=637031&Start=1&Artist=ddruckenmiller&ByArtist=Yes

Hmmm... 'Restless' also has one honkin big sphere matted with stars so maybe that's screening out the particular skylab light type that is associated with transmittal - were you referring to ambient light, as opposed to the ambience materials setting?

drawbridgep ( ) posted Mon, 29 March 2004 at 3:10 PM

Yeah, ambient light. I've noticed that even if you encase the whole lot in a sphere, the sky settings still have major effects on the image.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

ddruckenmiller ( ) posted Mon, 29 March 2004 at 3:16 PM

(Chuckles) The parts of making HDRI really work for you that they just don't put in the TUT...

TheBryster ( ) posted Mon, 29 March 2004 at 6:42 PM
Forum Moderator

Perhaps a light gel with different colours might do the trick? IE: if you made the arch 'glass'into a b&w image with the leading showing as black, you could perhaps colour the white bits (the glass)yellow or whatever, turn the whole thing into a 2d and use it as a light gel?

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

drawbridgep ( ) posted Mon, 29 March 2004 at 7:36 PM

file_104057.jpg

Thanks guys. I've achieved what I wanted by making the 2d plane 50% transparent and settig the transparancy filter to use the same image. Been meaning to render a church, so might do that tomorrow with this knowledge. As always thanks for the help.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

ddruckenmiller ( ) posted Mon, 29 March 2004 at 8:13 PM

Transparency may be key here - Recently on the MetaCreations mailing list, someone asked about how to do a stained glass window in Bryce 3D. My interest was sufficiently piqued by this request, so I did a technical exercise to see if I could make something that looked somewhat like stained glass. Here's the resulting image: Creating it was quite straightforward. Here are the steps: (Photoshop) Create the outlines of the individual glass pieces in Photoshop. Create a layer underneath that and fill it with 60% gray or so. Save that image out as an intermediate file, flattened. It will be your transparency map. Fill the individual glass pieces with color. Hide the gray layer. Save a copy as a flattened image as well. It will be your color map. (Bryce 3.1) Create a Pict Object. Select the color file as the color map and the transparency map file as the transparency map (aka alpha channel). Hit OK and enter the scene with your Pict Object. Take the Pict Object into the Materials Lab and assign the color map as the Transparent color as well. Add bumps, refraction and specularity to taste. Enjoy! -Ollie, MetaCreations Online Services

DJB ( ) posted Mon, 29 March 2004 at 8:14 PM

file_104058.jpg

I have been trying for awhile now also to get rays to show up through this glass without much success. Hope to learn from this thread.

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

drawbridgep ( ) posted Mon, 29 March 2004 at 8:31 PM

Attached Link: http://www.petersharpe.com/Tutorial12.htm

This link shows you how to get streaming rays through a hole in a wall. So it's just a case of putting a 2d plane in the hole and setting the transparancy. Exactl what I did with the church window.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

DJB ( ) posted Tue, 30 March 2004 at 12:24 AM

file_104059.jpg

Thanks alot.I remeber that tutorial from way back but lost it when I got new PC. I wonder if it will work with a staright on window, or if it has to be from the side.

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

bikermouse ( ) posted Tue, 30 March 2004 at 1:27 AM

drawbridgep, I was gonn sugest that tutorial - there is also a partII to it. Looks like you've done quite well! http://www.petersharpe.com/Tutorial26.htm

bikermouse ( ) posted Tue, 30 March 2004 at 1:28 AM

err gonna

Dennisld ( ) posted Tue, 30 March 2004 at 6:25 AM

file_104060.jpg

Looking good Paul, you reckon everybody will be playing chess in Church now???? I actually work in a Church, not as the Vicar may I add, so I am surrounded by stained glass windows and very beautiful they are too. Took a few low res snaps for Christmas cards last year, this is one of them. Church is 150 years old. Bye now..........Dennis

TheBryster ( ) posted Tue, 30 March 2004 at 7:08 AM
Forum Moderator

Some staggering results here.....amazing stuff, guys!

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

roobol ( ) posted Tue, 30 March 2004 at 1:35 PM

Attached Link: http://users.pandora.be/roobol

file_104061.jpg

These are my preferred settings, but you first you have to apply a glass texture. This worked quite well in "The Revelation", especially with a light source behind the stained glass, projecting the image on the opposite walls. Details are in part 4 of the tutorial section (see enclosed link).

http://www.roobol.be

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.