Thu, Sep 19, 7:54 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 3:46 am)

Subject: What Do You Use The Most For Post-Work?

zippyozzy ( ) posted Wed, 02 February 2005 at 11:39 PM · edited Tue, 10 September 2024 at 6:00 PM

I'm curious to know what some of you use for post-work? What 3D program or paint program do Poser users use to finish renders or, do you use straight Poser without post-work. I can't get Bryce to work well sometimes for the finished renders, may need to get something else to touchup work. Suggestions?

SndCastie ( ) posted Wed, 02 February 2005 at 11:48 PM

I have PSP 8&9 and just bought Painter9 I don't usally do much postwork as haven't learned the programs enough yet lol I hope to find sometime to devote to learning them though. :O)

Sandy
An imagination can create wonderful things

SndCastie's Little Haven

zippyozzy ( ) posted Wed, 02 February 2005 at 11:56 PM

I discovered that V3 doesn't import well in Bryce 5. I'm thinking of an alternative to Bryce. :)

SndCastie ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2005 at 12:07 AM

I don't have a problem importing her into bryce I also use bryce5 a lot to render I like the render better than Poser4 lol.

Sandy

SndCastie's Little Haven

zippyozzy ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2005 at 12:18 AM · edited Thu, 03 February 2005 at 12:22 AM

For some reason it takes forever and I lost some textures while importing it as an .obj. It may have been cos it was too large and couldn't handle it. Other than that the rest of the characters even M3 seem to import well in Bryce. Bryce renders are awesome compared to P4 is too cheesy sometimes. I would need to shrink V3 file size dont think there's a way to do that. over 30meg file to import. There's gotta be an easier way? lol.

Message edited on: 02/03/2005 00:22

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2005 at 1:01 AM

I'm thinking of an alternative to Bryce. :)

That would be Vue. Vue and Poser work together hand in glove.

Bryce has never quite been able to do it that way. Not without a lot of work-arounds and tricks.

Occasionally, Vue needs a few adjustments on P5 materials. Other than that, it's a snap to import a .pz3 directly into Vue.

As for the postworking question -- Photoshop CS.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

hauksdottir ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2005 at 2:04 AM

PhotoShop. :) I do have some plugins, but plain PhotoShop is a workhorse.

JVRenderer ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2005 at 2:11 AM

I'd say Photoshop 7, sometimes Painter 8. :o)

Software: Daz Studio 4.15,  Photoshop CC, Zbrush 2022, Blender 3.3, Silo 2.3, Filter Forge 4. Marvelous Designer 7

Hardware: self built Intel Core i7 8086K, 64GB RAM,  RTX 3090 .

"If you spend too much time arguing about software, you're spending too little time creating art!" ~ SomeSmartAss

"A critic is a legless man who teaches running." ~ Channing Pollock

My Gallery  My Other Gallery 

12rounds ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2005 at 2:40 AM

Paint Shop Pro 7 + Wacom tablet. I'm making mostly character illustrations so the tablet is essential.

mathman ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2005 at 2:56 AM

Ulead Photoimpact mainly for 2D post-work. Currently have v8, but soon intend to get v10 (sounds fantastic). Occasionally use Photoshop Elements v2 or GIMP v2.2.

FlyByNight ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2005 at 4:56 AM

Paint Shop Pro 7

FlyByNight

Hawke ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2005 at 6:20 AM

I use photoshopCS for postwork (but PSP8 for making thumbnails) Render in Vue5 (easy) and Maya6 (hard - but soooooo worth the effort :P)

dlk30341 ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2005 at 8:31 AM

PSP 8-9

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2005 at 9:34 AM

I use Combustion 3 for postworking animation. Sometimes I'll use Adobe AfterEffects as well.

Tools :  3dsmax 2015, Daz Studio 4.6, PoserPro 2012, Blender v2.74

System: Pentium QuadCore i7, under Win 8, GeForce GTX 780 / 2GB GPU.

Connatic ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2005 at 9:35 AM

PSP 7 plus wacom tablet. PSP is just as good as Photoshop for a fraction of the cost.

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2005 at 9:53 AM

PSP 9 for what little post work i do. usually only assebeling multi render images, saving to jpg and making thumbnails.

My Homepage - Free stuff and Galleries

dbowers22 ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2005 at 10:36 AM

I don't use anything. I do it all in Poser 5. To me postwork is cheating. If you can't get it to look right in Poser, you just aren't trying hard enough.

Connatic ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2005 at 10:45 AM

dbowers22, To spend the time trying to correct every little detail inside of P5 is a waste of time. I do very minor touchups in PSP, like smoothing joint crease on extremely bent limbs. There are always little imperfections that 5 minutes of paintwork can easily remedy. It is absurd to call postwork cheating. By that line of reasoning, using Poser is cheating - you should use a "real" 3d app. Or using 3d apps is cheating, you should draw everything with a stick in the sand. I also do multipass renders and then layer it in PSP. There is no "cheating" when it comes to technique and procedures. You do what you must in order to produce the image. I sell my renders and need to be efficient. Not postworking would be economic suicide.

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2005 at 11:23 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------- "I don't use anything. I do it all in Poser 5. To me postwork is cheating. If you can't get it to look right in Poser, you just aren't trying hard enough." ---------------------------------------------------------------- Try telling that to Weta Digital ,ILM etc. some might argue that using 3D meshes and texture packs that you yourself didnt make is "cheating" I dont think that way, but some closed minded people do. >>>rolls eyes<<<<

My website

YouTube Channel

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2005 at 11:25 AM

Ahhh.....I just love purists. Kind of like when color photographic film first came out many decades ago....... At the time, color film was largely considered to be nothing more than a gimmick -- "real" photographs were always in B&W. It's possible that some people still think so today.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

SndCastie ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2005 at 11:48 AM

Ok all lets keep to the subject at hand :O)

Sandy

SndCastie's Little Haven

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2005 at 12:29 PM

"To me postwork is cheating." LOL!! Tell that to Pixar, Blur Studios, Dreamworks, and every other major 3D FX studio who do sometimes extensive postwork/compositing on their 3D animations. "Cheating" is only something amateurs dwell on. Think about it. ;-)

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2005 at 12:31 PM

"Try telling that to Weta Digital ,ILM etc." hehe, Wolf, you beat me to it I see. ;-)

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2005 at 2:06 PM

When I scan the poser galleries I like to see what poser can do and in turn what I may be able to do with poser. I dont mind running into post work if it is some thing that just cant be done in poser, but if the poser part of the image was a naked figure on an blank background and an entire scene was painted in around it, I really dont feel that I am seeing what poser can do. So in a sense I feel they cheated. However in the grander scheme of things, we are in the business or hobby of producing 2d images. The methods of achieving those images arent bound by any rules of cheating and fair.

My Homepage - Free stuff and Galleries

Connatic ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2005 at 2:19 PM

I do try to keep the postwork to a minimum, mainly to fix small inconsistencies, blend edges, and composite multiple renders. I often render a scene twice, once with shadows, once without, and do a layer rub-thru to eliminate unwanted shadows. I find this takes less time than trying to tweak the lighting and get it right inside of Poser. Even things like rays, plasma-bolts, explosion, etc. I like to do them as part of the 3d scene, instead of posting them in. So to a degree, I am a purist. But, there is simply no way I would eliminate postwork. Occasionally I get a render that needs none, whatsoever, but that is rare.

JVRenderer ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2005 at 2:38 PM

I use Poser, Photoshop, Painter, Vue, wings3d, Images of textures I took using my digital camera to achieve what I want in an image...... I must be a slut. :o/

Software: Daz Studio 4.15,  Photoshop CC, Zbrush 2022, Blender 3.3, Silo 2.3, Filter Forge 4. Marvelous Designer 7

"If you spend too much time arguing about software, you're spending too little time creating art!" ~ SomeSmartAss

JVRenderer ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2005 at 3:08 PM

xoconostle ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2005 at 3:14 PM · edited Thu, 03 February 2005 at 3:15 PM

Photoshop 7 and PSP 8. I appreciate it when people can do effective or attractive postwork without relying on too many fancy filters or actions. OTOH, the use of some PShop actions that I bought here was a great education in how to do those things on my own with the native processes and filters. Still have a lot to learn.

I can see why someone would like to see Poser images without postwork if what they're looking for is what Poser is capable of on its own, but the notion that the use of postwork is cheating or impure is absurd. Media are a means to an end, not an end in themselves, unless you are purposely restricting yourself as an exercise or technique. Nothing wrong with that, but it's no more or less valid than the time-honored tradition of mixing techniques. Anyone who has taken even the most basic drawing class has probably been introduced to simple concepts like using an eraser as part of the drawing process, using Conte crayon to finish charcoal drawings, or using ink wash to complete a pen-and-ink drawing. This notion of "purity" in Poser-rendered art is only valid in the specific context of consciously self-restricted Poser use, it has no validity otherwise. Similarly, those who argue that a Vue or Bryce render is "impure" or less valid if you've imported Poser models into the scene are just blowing hot air. Do what it takes to complete the image to your satisfaction. Asceticism starves one's arsenal. If you choose to do that, recognize that it's your choice, not the yardstick by which you judge the art of others.

Message edited on: 02/03/2005 15:15

zippyozzy ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2005 at 7:41 PM · edited Thu, 03 February 2005 at 7:54 PM

"I don't use anything. I do it all in Poser 5.
To me postwork is cheating. If you can't get
it to look right in Poser, you just aren't
trying hard enough."

I beg to diff. P4 renders are too cheesy looking for my liking. Until P6 comes out, I do the final render in Bryce. How is it cheating? I made the image in P4 only, posed the character, dressed the character, made the scene all with 1 program, worked my ass on it only to be told it's cheating if I use another 3D program. Sorry, but I don't see it that way. Bryce gives me the 3D effect I want in a finished render. Thanks guys, was just curious as to what is most used. Photoshop is way out of my price range though. Message edited on: 02/03/2005 19:54

hauksdottir ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2005 at 8:04 PM
  1. Grind some red clay (adobe works well); add a binder (bear fat, spit, egg white, whatever is at hand). 2) Chew a twig until the ends are broom-like OR find a hollow reed, whichever applicator suits your style. 3) If using the reed, dip it in your paint, put your hand on the wall, and blow red paint at it. If using the twig, dip it in the paint and smear on the wall. You can also just dip your hand in the paint and make a print on the wall, but using a tool indicates that you are civilized. If the paint is too thin and runny or the thumbprint needs a bit more color, don't bother doing repair work... just find another wall and try again to get it right. If you think that all those hundreds of bison were painted during pre-hunting rituals and thousands of hand-prints were initiation rituals, think again. 35,000 years ago, our ancestors were just practicing. It took them this long to learn about post-work. Carolly

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2005 at 10:44 PM

3) If using the reed, dip it in your paint, put your hand on the wall, and blow red paint at it.

Did you make the hand yourself? ;)

ArtyMotion ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2005 at 11:36 PM

The secret is out ... Carolly is the "Martha Stewart" of the Poser community! ;-)

elizabyte ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2005 at 11:45 PM

I think everyone should have to write their own software. Anything less is cheating. ;-) bonni

"When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch." - Bette Davis

zippyozzy ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2005 at 12:33 PM

I think everyone should have to write their own software. Anything less is cheating. LMAO. I still don't understand how it's cheating but hey, to each his own. I could fillup my gallery with pure poser, V3 poses without any effort to make myself a purist, but, meh, that's not what 3D art is all about (IMHO);)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.