Sat, Sep 21, 3:17 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 12:48 pm)

Subject: Problems with homemade dynamic clothing

dave3 ( ) posted Fri, 18 February 2005 at 5:17 PM ยท edited Thu, 05 September 2024 at 10:57 AM

Hey, I finally got a Dual 2GHz Mac G5, so I can actually use dynamic cloth now. The clothing that comes with Poser seems to work fine, but I was trying to make some of my own and I ran into problems. Everything goes fine until I calculate the simulation -- it calculates the draping and then starts the calculation. However, it only calculates the first few frames (about to frame 11) and then it just ends the calculation. I have set the calculation for the entire length of the animation, so that's not the problem. Like I said, it will calculate the entire animation with the premade items. If anyone knows why this is happening, I'd like to know -- also, if you have any tips or things I should watch out for, that would be great as well. Thanks!

ArtyMotion ( ) posted Fri, 18 February 2005 at 5:46 PM

A screen shot or render at frame 11 might help ... one thing I suspect is that the clothing is getting bunched up, either intersecting with itself or with the character.

dave3 ( ) posted Fri, 18 February 2005 at 5:51 PM

It could be -- there are a lot of folds in the object. I didn't save the file so it would take me a while to come up with an image, but it does kind of bunch up. Is there a way to prevent this? Nothing in the mesh intersects itself or the figure, by the way; just a lot of folds...

ArtyMotion ( ) posted Fri, 18 February 2005 at 5:54 PM

One thing you can try is checking the "Cloth Self-Collision" option in the Simulation Settings dialog. The calculations may take longer, but it might save it from crashing.

dave3 ( ) posted Fri, 18 February 2005 at 6:14 PM

Thanks for the tip, but I tried that. It doesn't crash, it just stops calculating. The cloth will run up to the frame where it stopped calculating. I think it does have something to do with the complexity of the mesh -- I tried making a simpler mesh and it ran fine. I guess I'll just have to scale back my ambitions!

ArtyMotion ( ) posted Fri, 18 February 2005 at 6:15 PM

THat would have been my second guess. 8-)

Frankyboy ( ) posted Sat, 19 February 2005 at 2:06 AM

Does your mesh have any very small or long/thin triangles? That can cause problems.

dave3 ( ) posted Tue, 22 February 2005 at 2:26 PM

Sorry about the delay in responding -- was away from my computer for the weekend. The answer to that would be yes -- I didn't realize that could cause problems. I'll look out for that in the future. Thanks!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.