Mon, Sep 23, 10:28 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 23 6:56 am)

Subject: Computer Ramping up in Poser 4 Pro Pack

thanos67 ( ) posted Wed, 08 June 2005 at 9:03 PM ยท edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 10:26 AM

Has anyone had the problem of your computer ramping up when your in Poser. Just by opening the Libraies I don't even have to pick one Figures,poses etc... and my processors ramp up to the point of shaking the tower,But as soon as I close the libraries it calms back down. This also happens when I click and hold a morph, camera, light dial I don't even have to move it and it ramps up and as soon as I release it goes back to normal. Even with just the P4 man that is present when I open poser I open the Libraries and it ramps up. I have not exceeded the max number of folders in figures, poses etc.. I know poser likes to act up when you go past 230 or so folders and I been using it on this computer for the last month and just in the past week or so I started to have this problem. I have A Area 51 Computer which is only 2 months old it has Windows XP, 2 3.4GHz intel pent Processers 2MB Cache, 2Gig Duel Channel Memory, My Virtual Memory is Initial size 2046MB Max size 4092 Factory setings. I installed Pro Pack Memory update and it still does it. 3DMax 7,ZBrush, After Effects and all the other Programs that I have on this computer do not do this. I use The Tailor and crosstalk alot, but I have this problem with just V3 loaded with no morphs or crosstalk. I have been Using Poser 4 and Pro Pack since I bought it together 3 years ago and had no trouble like this when i was using it on my other Computer. Thought I would ask the Pros on what you might think it could be before I get drastic and uninstall and start over or Move it to another Drive. Should I try to install ProPack Service Release 3. I have 14.7 Gigs of material in my runtime folder is this to much. Any help would be great. thanos67

cherokee69 ( ) posted Wed, 08 June 2005 at 9:14 PM

My P4PP goes nuts when I open the program. I wasn't sure what was going on but my computer only sounded like it was working to death when Poser was opened. Started doing some checking and when I check my fireall log, I found that Poser was constantly trying to access the net, acctually every couple of seconds. I check it one and in a half hour, it had tried to access the net 1467 times. Doesn't matter if I'm connected to the internet or not, Poser still does it. Sure wish there was something to do to stop it. thanos67, by the way, I have SR3 installed.

lmckenzie ( ) posted Thu, 09 June 2005 at 2:21 AM

Poser is looking for other copies of itself on a local area network, not the internet. If you set your firewall to allow it, perhaps it will stop the multiple attempts. I don't think those network queries would cause your machine to go into overdrive though--sounds more like CPU/disk activity. Poser isn't a "cheap date" sometimes :-)

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

Yewston ( ) posted Thu, 09 June 2005 at 10:31 AM

A few years ago, I noticed that Poser 4 runs my processor at 100% just sitting there (the CPU fan sounds like a jet engine after awhile). That could be what you are experiencing. Interestingly, processor usage actually goes down when Poser is rendering. After uninstalling and reinstalling a few times and being ignored by CL Support in e-mail, I posted here about it. I was told that's just the way Poser works. I don't know if versions 5 and up do the same thing or not. I've using Studio for the most part these days. I don't like burning up processors. BTW, This has happened on every computer I've used Poser on (about 4 to date) - all different makes, models, specifications, Windows versions, etc.

lmckenzie ( ) posted Thu, 09 June 2005 at 11:14 PM

Interesting--different video cards as well? I've never experienced that effect. I just ran a performance trace on Poser 4 and did a couple of renders (Min=2% Max=100% Avg=38%). Sitting Idle, the % of CPU usage is around the average 30-40%, during a render, it maxed at about 90%. The 100% was only when I had a dialog box open waiting for input. This is on an old system, Athlon 1GHz 324MB RAM GeForce 2 MX. I have no idea why Poser sitting idle would strain a system enough to kick the fan into high gear. I'd say run a performance trace and make sure it's really Poser that's doing it and not some other application. Maybe the firewall or something else interacting with Poser is the real culprit. If it's Poser then It's a mystery. CPU maybe--Intel vs. AMD, hyperthreading, who knows?

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

thanos67 ( ) posted Sat, 11 June 2005 at 12:49 AM

Found the problem. Daz Studio. When you open DAZ Studio it asks you if you want it to search for poser content or ask me later. I always checked ask me later. Daz Studio must have been search for poser content in the background while I was using poser and putting a strain on my Processors. I just uninstalled it I never used it. I opened Poser4 Pro Pack loaded 6 figures added clothing textures used crosstalk and my computer ran perfectly. Thanks to everyone who answered my call for help your the best. thanos67

lmckenzie ( ) posted Sat, 11 June 2005 at 2:05 AM

Strange. I wouldn't think that DS would be doing anything unless you had it loaded at the same time.. I have the latest (I think) version and haven't seen that but I think I let it look for content at the beginning. On the other hand, it's quite possible that some component of DS was interacting with your system and Poser. Whatever the cause, it's good to hear you solved it.

Yewston ( ) posted Sat, 11 June 2005 at 10:12 PM

The 4 computers are/were:

P4 1.8 Ghz XP
AMD 2400+ XP
AMD 2500+ 2000
AMD 1700+ Laptop XP

I think it may have also happened to a P3 933 Mhz running ME. That machine is long gone.

Video boards are various Nvidia and ATI models. The laptop has some no-name integrated video card (maybe ATI chips).

Memory amounts have been 256 up to 784 Mb

It doesn't matter what (if any) other programs are running on the machines. Watching the processor usage shows 97-100% usage by Poser.exe when Poser 4 is the active program, even if nothing is happening. If I click on a menu it drops down to very low usage. If I do a render it drops down to 60-70%. Some dialog boxes seem to drop it down to 0% while others keep it at 100%

The only thing common other than Poser is a Windows NT based OS (but I'm pretty sure the ME machine also did that same thing).

lmckenzie ( ) posted Sun, 12 June 2005 at 3:06 AM

Wow, that's more machines (and CPU horsepower) than I've ever owned! I've been using computers long enough to know that absolutely anything is possible. It would be interesting to maybe get a survey thread going and see what other people's experiences are. Such a dramatic (and audible) experience should be pretty easy to determine. I have heard od Poser running up a system during rendering, just not when idle. I probably wouldn't notice the sound difference on my old wind tunnel but the performance graph should be reasonably accurate. My only guess would be that if this doesn't happen to everyone, there should be some common factor or factors but it's hard to think of any, if you've shut off all background processes (anti-virus, messengers, etc.) and non-essential services. It's probably foolish to ask if you always update Poser tothe latest patch level when installing. That's about all I can think of other than if they were all hooked to a LAN or broadband router. Heck, maybe even the same printer/scanner/mouse or monitor--grasping at elusive straws :-)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.