Tue, Oct 22, 6:32 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 3:39 am)

Subject: Poser and ZBrush question/survey

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Sun, 22 January 2006 at 6:24 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 12:15 AM

Ok I own up, I bought ZB2 thinking it would revolutionalise my poser life, but got bogged down with learning it and ended up more than a little frustrated. So the question is. Did you start out thinking ZB2 would really give you lots of power in your Poser life? What did you think you could do in ZB2 that you couldn't quite get working? Finally What tutorials couldn't you find to enable you to do what you want? I ask because I feel I have wasted more than a bit of time working with ZB2 and want to stop that and use it how I wanted to, for textures and models and all sorts of exciting things. Rather than thrash around on this and that I thought I'd ask so I can focus on things other people want to do too, work out how to do things and make some tutorials. Hope that makes sense :) John

Fugazi (without the aid of a safety net)

https://www.facebook.com/Fugazi3D

Gareee ( ) posted Sun, 22 January 2006 at 9:21 AM

I thought zmapper would assist in doing peltmap uv maps.. but it only does noral maps, based off existing uv mapping. Which doesn't make a lot of sense, since p[rograms like lightwave and poser use the uv mapping AS normal mapping,. And much like poser, the interface is just a bear to learn. Also, th elack of a "hard" manual is kind of a pisser, especially with a program that is dificult to wrap your head around. Its still in my "utilites that have not been worth the investment" pile, along with Tailor, (and it's updates)and a few other programs. (Though with Tailor, I just have not had the occasion to really need to learn and use it yet.)

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

RKane_1 ( ) posted Sun, 22 January 2006 at 12:03 PM

Well, Morphs are an absolute breeze and texturing is fun but I do wish you could import 2 models at the same time and retain them working independantly. I want to work on clothing and it is just TOO handy having a clothing dummy there. I KNOW there is a workaround using material groupings and alpha channel but I have yet to figure it out pout

richardson ( ) posted Sun, 22 January 2006 at 12:09 PM

file_320865.jpg

I am completely satisfied. As you mentioned, time is the problem. I have 3apps now and have to really concentrate on one. I would guess ZB displacement mapping is on my next to learn list (for use in P6 matroom). I'd like to get a skin displacement map one day. Even a new tut on Zb2 morphs workflow would be handy for newcomers. (a script to do it all...ahhh ;0). Thanks for asking

mathman ( ) posted Sun, 22 January 2006 at 3:57 PM

I love ZB2, but there is so much to learn. In terms of Poser, I would love to know a way of being able to paint a texture from a photograph (or set of photographs) onto a Poser figure using Projection Master. I understand that you can do this sort of thing in Deep Paint 3D. Re displacement mapping, I don't know where to start. Any clues ?

Gareee ( ) posted Sun, 22 January 2006 at 5:39 PM

Yep.. go to thier forums, and download the practical guide to zbrush. There a tutorial that shows you how to create a displacement map, and apply it in poser!

RKane_1 ( ) posted Sun, 22 January 2006 at 6:03 PM

Been trying to do that with Apollo Max and not having much luck. I keep thinking it is one thing but then I do it again and never get past reapplying the disp map. pout Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Gareee ( ) posted Sun, 22 January 2006 at 6:28 PM

Everything takes time to learn, RKane. I've been at this stuff full time for 2 years now, and I know I still have a LOT to learn, and experiments to attempt. Poser is VERY deceptive.. it all LOOKS very easy, but when you look under the hood, it's a friggin nightmare to make everything work as you want to. I took 2 months this last year alone, to JUST improve my development skills. There are so many utilites to attempt to master, and then of course there are always new tricks to relearn in poser itself. I would serious post in the apollo forums over at RDNA, and ask Anton about Apollo and zbrush. He's very approachable, dispite what many people might say, and he'll really attempt to help you if he can.

stonemason ( ) posted Sun, 22 January 2006 at 9:45 PM

"I would love to know a way of being able to paint a texture from a photograph (or set of photographs) onto a Poser figure using Projection Master" this is very easy to do using the Zapplink plugin,look for the video tuts at Zcentral a Zbrush to Poser displacement tut is available at Poser pros

Cg Society Portfolio

Marque ( ) posted Sun, 22 January 2006 at 10:23 PM

Is the new version that was supposed to be here in December out yet? Haven't gotten anything from them to let me know. I've been with them since it first came out, and although the learning curve is a bit steep it is an awesome program. I've never regretted getting it. Marque

frogdot ( ) posted Sun, 22 January 2006 at 11:30 PM

I did most of the morphs for 3DCommune's new Alexa2 all with ZB2. For that alone it is a very valuable tool, but only scratches about 5% of ZB's potential. As far as using it alone and for modeling and texture, I'm a continual newbie all the way from version 0.95 ZB takes more time than I have to give it. It's become almost overwhelming with the number of features it has. There's more to remember when using ZB. You have to know what comes next a few steps ahead.

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2006 at 12:54 AM

Zapplink looks fun, any useful links for tutes or product details? John

stonemason ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2006 at 1:11 AM

http://206.145.80.239/zbc/showthread.php?t=29628&highlight=Zapplink http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=28111 Zapplink is a free plugin for Zbrush,use it in conjunction with your favourite paint app

Cg Society Portfolio

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2006 at 7:24 AM

Cool, I had a quick look at a couple of vids this morning before work (any excuse not to go just yet) looks interesting, I can just about see how you could use it to map photos onto a model. I spent most of sunday playing qith ZSpheres and have got to a level that is just below actually usable :) I'm going to have a go at displacement mapping some clothes I'm working on later. Will do a small tute if it all works ok. Just a thought on needing a manaquin for cloth modelling, while not ideal, why not import a poser figure and position it front on in Zb then drop it to the canvas, then repeat with side on (keeping the scale the same). While not ideal you could use those models to get a good approximation for the initial mesh. Then have a look at the Cloth primitives in my freestif to get the mesh to fit better, then export to Zb to add detail etc. Sounds a bit impractical but I'm sure with a bit of work it'll work out. John

RKane_1 ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2006 at 8:03 AM

Thanks, John. Also thanks for the little texture .pdf you cranked out for me. VERY helpful! Gareee, I tried posting about it over at the Apollo forums but Anton relayed to me that I would have better luck posting elsewhere.

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2006 at 9:45 AM

Where it has kind of fallen short for me is in the texturing area. I am sure it is very powerful but using it with the unimesh is just impossible for me. I would love be able to texture and use it for displacement but the multiple maps thing kills it. It looks great for models that can use it. I love it for morphs though.

Gareee ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2006 at 12:53 PM

Hmm maybe he's also tried working with apollo in Zbrush, and run into similar issues?

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2006 at 12:59 PM

I think he doesn't use/like ZBrush ... But that is just from passing information. I know he prefers to do displacements in Photoshop.

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2006 at 3:18 PM

file_320866.jpg

Glad it helped RKane, did it work with Apollo? I've been messing with ZB this evening, this is what I came up with (rendered in Poser), I was thinking of creating some background props for a scarey(ish) scene. It was made from a sphere which I pushed and pulled around alot, from a tute I found on how to make a head at pixologic.com (no www). Hope ya like it John

face_off ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2006 at 10:10 PM

Attached Link: http://www.physicalc-software.com/tutorials/zb/

There is lots of things you can do combining ZBrush with Poser, however there is a fair learning curve. There are some tuts and tools around for using ZB2 to create FMB's (see dburdick's gallery). For doing pre-work to smooth out posed meshes, see the above link. Once you get the hang of ZB2, you will love it.

Creator of PoserPhysics
Creator of OctaneRender for Poser
Blog
Facebook

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.