Tue, Oct 1, 5:25 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Python Scripting

Welcome to the Poser Python Scripting Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Python Scripting F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 2:50 am)

We now have a ProPack Section in the Poser FreeStuff.
Check out the new Poser Python Wish List thread. If you have an idea for a script, jot it down and maybe someone can write it. If you're looking to write a script, check out this thread for useful suggestions.

Also, check out the official Python site for interpreters, sample code, applications, cool links and debuggers. This is THE central site for Python.

You can now attach text files to your posts to pass around scripts. Just attach the script as a txt file like you would a jpg or gif. Since the forum will use a random name for the file in the link, you should give instructions on what the file name should be and where to install it. Its a good idea to usually put that info right in the script file as well.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Where is the PoserPython reference manual?

pjz99 ( ) posted Sat, 16 December 2006 at 8:46 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 11:06 AM

I've been through my own docs and I've spent quite some time searching Google and e frontiers' website, and I can't find just a basic reference for PoserPython.  I don't need a "getting started" tutorial, I'm pretty comfortable with scripting and I can read existing python scripts and make sense out of them.  What I'm looking for is a reference that enumerates what all the functions are, what their inputs and outputs are, and the like.  Any advice appreciated, thanks.

My Freebies

svdl ( ) posted Sat, 16 December 2006 at 8:51 PM

There should be a PoserPython .PDF manua in your Poser root folder.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

pjz99 ( ) posted Sat, 16 December 2006 at 9:01 PM

There is, and I've looked through it, but it doesn't contain a list of function names, documentation of their inputs and outputs and syntax, etc. 

My Freebies

svdl ( ) posted Sat, 16 December 2006 at 9:17 PM

What I have in PoserPython Methods.pdf looks like this: (just one sample)
Method Name CreateValueParameter Explanation Creates a value parameter on the universe actor. This type of parameter is not linked to Poser elements such as figures, props etc. Rather, it can be used to add user interface control to you Python scripts Arguments Enter a name for the new parameter Syntax CreateValuePrameter( valueParmName) Example parm=actor.CreateValueParameter("MyNewParameter") It's not as extensive as I would have liked, but it's the best I've got. I don't know of a more comprehensive PoserPython manual.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

svdl ( ) posted Sat, 16 December 2006 at 9:19 PM

file_362749.JPG

Drat, tables won't work. Here's a screenshot:

pjz99 ( ) posted Sat, 16 December 2006 at 9:23 PM · edited Sat, 16 December 2006 at 9:27 PM

What's the name of that file please?  I had looked through my poser app home directory and found a poser(something).PDF and maybe I missed that in the contents, that's exactly what I'm looking for.
edit: duh reading your previous post, sorry

Edit2:  I may be colossally dense but I can't recall seeing a "PoserPython Methods.pdf" in my poser app home dir, or I would have pounced on it.  Well, now I'm stuck at work or I'd go look into it immediately.  Thanks very much for the push in the right direction (duh) 

My Freebies

svdl ( ) posted Sat, 16 December 2006 at 10:43 PM

The filename depends on the Poser version:

Poser 5: PoserPython Methods.pdf
Poser 6: PoserPython Methods.pdf
Poser 7: PoserPython Methods Manual.pdf

I don't have Poser Pro Pack, so I don't know how that file is called.

The files are in the Poser root dir, for all Poser versions I have.

pjz99 ( ) posted Sat, 16 December 2006 at 11:32 PM

I have v6 and v7, when I get home from work I'll go straght at it again and check.  Thank you for the info.

My Freebies

pjz99 ( ) posted Sun, 17 December 2006 at 7:31 AM

Sure enough, there it is.  Obviously I need to increase my caffeine intake.  Thanks again!

My Freebies

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.