Thu, Sep 19, 5:18 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 4:23 pm)

Subject: The Once-in-a-while custom prop challenge!

templargfx ( ) posted Wed, 10 January 2007 at 4:13 PM

Sorry about my lack of updates, I am modelling things at work at the moment as my computer is busted (well about as close to busted as you can get without it actually being busted!) New Hard Drive temorrow. that'll fix it.  anyway I have modelled the Urn, just working on the details today to finish it off. I'll try and get some type of pic up soon.

Nice microscope!

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

167 Car Materials for Poser

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Wed, 10 January 2007 at 8:29 PM

templargfx!!!! 
How kind of you!!!!  You have NO idea how happy you've made me!!!!
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

templargfx ( ) posted Wed, 10 January 2007 at 11:32 PM

file_365140.JPG

Heres the urn, sorry about the crappy look to it. there are no smoothing groups added yet, so the model is flat shaded. the lid is a seperate object too. it will be sub-devided later to produce a smoother model, just modelling the actuall parts.

If your wondering, I model via the Vertex to Face method. so its a little slower (but I enjoy it more)

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

templargfx ( ) posted Wed, 10 January 2007 at 11:34 PM

file_365141.JPG

Again, sorry about the crappy look.

Here is the powerpoint for the TV powercord winner. this will be seperate, so you can have just the powerpoint in the scene. also if I can remember how, the chord will have morphs to change its shape a little to make it more useful.

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Wed, 10 January 2007 at 11:39 PM

I like the shape of the urn. It's going to be a very graceful piece :)

templargfx ( ) posted Wed, 10 January 2007 at 11:43 PM

I have modelled some "handles" for the sides, there small and fit the look nicely, really finishes off the urn in looks, just tweaking them now.  I swear it looks really nice smoothed!

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Thu, 11 January 2007 at 12:15 AM

I'm already planning the texture I want to put on it :)

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 11 January 2007 at 4:19 AM

Templar - what program do you use to model in?

I like that urn, too. Looks like an urn SHOULD look :o)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

templargfx ( ) posted Thu, 11 January 2007 at 7:41 AM

I use Milkshape 3D to do the base model, then bring it into zbrush if needed to finish it off.

how about yourself?

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

templargfx ( ) posted Thu, 11 January 2007 at 8:08 AM

file_365165.jpg

Heres the URN rendered in poser

as you can see, it does indeed look a heap better smoothed LOL

for an urn, its relatively high res. I thought it would be more of a centrepiece item than a background one.

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 11 January 2007 at 3:58 PM

It's very nice, smoothed. I could imagine it smoothed as well, though :)

For organic shapes I use Hexagon but for something like that poster I still resort to good old (and I mean OLD - 3.1) Max :) I guess I could have done it in Hexagon as well, but in Max I can do it in like 5 minutes. In Hexagon I still need to THINK :lol:

You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA

kobaltkween ( ) posted Thu, 11 January 2007 at 4:17 PM

trekkiegrrrl - just a question: do you recommend hex for beginners?  i've poked around at free stuff (wings 3d, blender, animator), but nothing's really clicked so far.  wings3d hides too many affordances and blender reveals too many.  i bought hex when it was $2, but haven't cracked it open yet.  any reactions to it?

templargfx ( ) posted Thu, 11 January 2007 at 4:18 PM

LOL,

Milkshape 3D is old-school modelling, but I'm old-school so its all good LOL

1. Place Vertexes
  2. Add Faces
  3. Return to 1 as needed
  4. Add smoothing
  5. Assign Materials
  6. Done

LOL

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

tom271 ( ) posted Thu, 11 January 2007 at 6:10 PM · edited Thu, 11 January 2007 at 6:11 PM

file_365235.jpg

WIP# 6

Here is another update to the early 20th century microscope...   Hope Antonia is still about...   Like to know what she thinks so far.. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tom271 ( ) posted Thu, 11 January 2007 at 6:49 PM

@ templargfx:   Thats a nice Urn...     I actually liked the sectional style more than the smooth version...   I wonder how it would look like if you section it into a six sided Urn...  the chinese have vases and pots shaped in sectiions...  very pretty..  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

templargfx ( ) posted Thu, 11 January 2007 at 6:58 PM · edited Thu, 11 January 2007 at 6:59 PM

file_365247.JPG

Im going to make a morph to change the urns basic centre shape, as its a lathe object, this is easy.

above is an update to the Plug, pretty much complete, just to get it into poser and create some morphs to change the plug and cable

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 11 January 2007 at 7:01 PM · edited Thu, 11 January 2007 at 7:02 PM

Quote - trekkiegrrrl - just a question: do you recommend hex for beginners?  i've poked around at free stuff (wings 3d, blender, animator), but nothing's really clicked so far.  wings3d hides too many affordances and blender reveals too many.  i bought hex when it was $2, but haven't cracked it open yet.  any reactions to it?

I would recommend it yeah. I love Hexagon, it's the only modeling program besides Max (and they're not alike AT ALL, don't worrry) that has EVER made sense to me. In hexagon, I instlled in, watched one of the video tutorials (about how to make a space cow or soemthing) and I was off making stuff...

IMO Hexagon is VERY intuitive and easy to use, while I have never liked Wings (nothing against it, it just never "clicked" with me) and Blender.. I never even (honestly) managed to produce a CUBE with Blender so I de-installed it again...

Hex is simple, yet very powerful.

Oh and Tom271, that microscope looks almost exactely like my first microscope. And while it wasn't 18th century, it still means it looks great :o)

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 11 January 2007 at 7:05 PM

The thing with plugs is that they're so localized... an amercan plug looks nothing like a danish plug, which looks nothing like an english plug, which looks nothing like an australian.... and so on....

So it's almost impossible to satisfy everybody.

In case anyone wants a danish/northern european version, I have one on my homepage, I made it about a year ago. it has a little bit of cord, too. (easily made longer with for instance Ajax' easypose tube)

tom271 ( ) posted Thu, 11 January 2007 at 7:14 PM

Thanks TrekkieGrrrl...    I like to try my hand at a 18th century scope sometimes...  but this is an early 20th century....    This one will go into my old medical instruments collection vault.....   I never tried Hexegon...  and like you,  I couldn't click with Wings or Blender....  I like to try again someday..

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 11 January 2007 at 7:19 PM

Tom 271.. what are YOU using for your models then? :) Just curious. I really REALLY like that microscope!

tom271 ( ) posted Thu, 11 January 2007 at 7:34 PM

@ TrekkieGrrrl..   I use Rhino..v.2 (old version)..   Thanks again..  

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 11 January 2007 at 7:42 PM

Ah! I kinda thought it looked like rhino :D pats self on shoulder

I tried rhino once, years and years ago but all this newfangled stuff it had at the time made my head spin so I retreated to Max :lol:

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Thu, 11 January 2007 at 7:45 PM

templargfx, that urn is great! Exactly what I've been wanting for a long time!

tom271 ( ) posted Fri, 12 January 2007 at 11:44 PM

file_365376.jpg

Here is a render of the scope just to see what the whole thing looks like...

templargfx ( ) posted Sat, 13 January 2007 at 12:22 AM

Very Nice Tom271, I couldnt do better than that (if I could even do that LOL)

The connection on the plug is made up, so it doesnt look like any really LOL

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

tom271 ( ) posted Sat, 13 January 2007 at 1:02 AM

Thank's for your comment I appriciate it... 

*"The connection on the plug is made up, so it doesnt look like any really LOL"

That's a detail that is never looked at...   the whole plug it self is the prop....

I really like that urn...  you should make a few different ones....

I want to also thank you for opening this thread up and giving an opportunity to model stuff for people who like to get ahold of certain props...  

templargfx ( ) posted Sat, 13 January 2007 at 2:48 AM

I like to model stuff for people.

I have been recriuted to model low res stuff for an indie game group. so my modelling will slow down as I juggle between them and this. but never fear!

check out our in-progress game at www.legendsrpg.com

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

tom271 ( ) posted Sat, 13 January 2007 at 3:21 AM

I could not find a "in-progress game" link.     you'll have to be more specific......   I love playing games too...   I  played half-life for some years and from time to time I made game levels for it......

its a challenge,,,  As a matter of fact, it was the urge to make games and understand 3D, that I came to Renderosity.  I came, learned to model but kept on modeling here and never went back to games....  not yet any way....  I still play on line but I temporarily lost the bug to make in-game content...  one day I'll get bitten again  :)

templargfx ( ) posted Sat, 13 January 2007 at 5:47 AM

oops, 

www.legendrpg.com

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Sat, 13 January 2007 at 7:49 AM

Tom, the microscope is looking good, though it's maybe styled a little older than I was thinking of. The slide-mount platform, the stage, looks a little thick and heavy, and maybe ought to have a larger hole. Also, from my recollection of using mirror-type illumination, you have the spacing between the platform and base a little close, and the mirror looks too high, risking being in the shadow of the stage. Now, the rack-and-pinion for focusing. The available movement is downward, and there's no clearance for that. It would depend on which lens you were using on the turret, but I think you need to adjust the mounting arm to get a bit more clearance. It's all subtle stuff, I know, but I think it would just make the difference. Even as it is, I could see it in the world of a Jules Verne adventure, or on the workbench of the Egyptologist who is unwrapping the Wrong Mummy.

tom271 ( ) posted Sat, 13 January 2007 at 10:44 PM · edited Sat, 13 January 2007 at 10:46 PM

file_365494.jpg

Let me first say this:   This instrument was made from one photo....   If I had the real thing in front of me or more photos you would have more exactness...  This microscope is an eye ball accurate approximation.. ;-)   Not a precise duplicate copy reproduction

quote:
Tom, the microscope is looking good, though it's maybe styled a little older than I was thinking of.

This could have been remedied had you from the onset told me which type of microscope you wanted..  I sorry we did not communicate.

quote:
*The slide-mount platform, the stage, looks a little thick and heavy, and maybe ought to have a larger hole.

The thinkness and the hole can be made different yes....  but I have seen other scope photos
(of the same time period)  and they are about the same size. The holes are about the width of a lenz.. no bigger,,,  The platform is suppose to be heavy...  maybe mine is just a tad thicker... 
remember these are old microscopes...

quote:
Also, from my recollection of using mirror-type illumination, you have the spacing between the platform and base a little close, and the mirror looks too high, risking being in the shadow of the stage.

You are right about this,  I can do that with no problems...

Quote:
Now, the rack-and-pinion for focusing. The available movement is downward, and there's no clearance for that. It would depend on which lens you were using on the turret, but I think you need to adjust the mounting arm to get a bit more clearance.

There is plenty of movement available here...Up or down...    you may not see it but the scope is able go down more.  I'll have posted a pic for you....  you can see the scope is higher..

Meantime before I change anything, are you going to use this scope?  or are you looking for a more contemporary one..?  I only wished I could have known the style you wanted..

tom271 ( ) posted Sat, 13 January 2007 at 11:07 PM

file_365496.jpg

here is the scope in the downposition.......  

FYI..  this scope comes with a wooden case, a set of glass slides and extra lenzs...

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Sun, 14 January 2007 at 5:41 AM

Oh, I can think of pictures I can use the model in, no problem, just not what I was originally thinking of. Think that Doctor Who story with the kid in a gas mask. As for the proportions, the most recent renders certainly look better. Maybe it's just long-ago school lessons with dire warnings about contacting the slide with the lens. That last grey-scale and the first colour render look short of clearance. (Warning: don't get me started on steam engines.) I seem to have a knack of building a mental 3D model from a picture, and matching things like the throw of a crank to the length of a piston-stroke. Bit of a steam-punk, I am.

tekmonk ( ) posted Sun, 14 January 2007 at 6:11 AM

file_365513.jpg

cobaltdream probably thinks i forgot all about the cherub LOL... Sorry, just been swamped with work that's all. Anyway, here is where i am so far, still need to add a nose, ears and hair. Also other things like wings and all that. Crude in some places cause i'm trying to keep it relatively light so it can be used multiple times and with other architecture without killing the render time.

Comments / crits most welcome...

kobaltkween ( ) posted Sun, 14 January 2007 at 12:17 PM

oh my!  that's beautiful!  just perfect!  thank you so much!

tom271 ( ) posted Sun, 14 January 2007 at 5:28 PM

@tekmonk..  nice face....   I guess I have to admit I don't know what a cherub is?   is it a pendent?

@ Antonia...   I know Dr. Who but I can not remeber the kid in the gas tank....  Steam engines!  I love them...   I had a mind to model one...  but I can not wrap my head around all the details it has..  I wish I could find detail skematic drawings along with photographs.. I give it a seriously thought..
Do you model now..?

RedHawk ( ) posted Sun, 14 January 2007 at 6:52 PM

Quote -  ....   I guess I have to admit I don't know what a cherub is?   is it a pendent?

Think Cupid.....chubby little baby angel-type things.....

<-insert words of wisdom here->

Neyjour ( ) posted Sun, 14 January 2007 at 8:33 PM

Just wanted to chime in and say that microscope looks magnificent!  Awesome modelling tom271!  😄

"You don't know what we can see
Why don't you tell your dreams to me
Fantasy will set you free." - Steppenwolf

kobaltkween ( ) posted Sun, 14 January 2007 at 9:09 PM

oh, i think the microscope looks great, too.  for cherub references, see the links i posted on the first page of this thread.  if you just look up cherubs in general, you'll probably see more of the full body ones than this particular type, which is just a head, hair and wings. 

tekmonk ( ) posted Mon, 15 January 2007 at 1:09 AM

file_365626.jpg

A bit more...

tom271 ( ) posted Mon, 15 January 2007 at 2:29 AM

Oh okay.... I've seen a few...... he  coughs!

BastBlack ( ) posted Mon, 15 January 2007 at 2:08 PM

This is a great thread. Enjoying watching the cool model making. ^^ bB

tom271 ( ) posted Tue, 16 January 2007 at 8:24 PM

@ AntoniaTiger:    Hi!  sorry you have not seen any further progress....  I just have a few family pending things and then after I'll finish the prop for you.....

Tom

ThrommArcadia ( ) posted Tue, 16 January 2007 at 11:20 PM

Great work guys!  Wonderful ideas.

tom271 ( ) posted Thu, 18 January 2007 at 11:07 PM

@ AntoniaTiger:  I have your microscope ready...  sorry for the delay....    I will give you the box later..

we need to find a way to get it to you I don't have a website that will host it.... 

kobaltkween ( ) posted Thu, 18 January 2007 at 11:18 PM

i believe that planit3d is willing to host most poser freebies.

tekmonk ( ) posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 2:33 AM

file_366296.jpg

Still working at it in whatever mouthfuls of free time i get... Should be finished in a couple more days. As a bonus I  also did a Lil' devil.

tom271 ( ) posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 3:10 AM

@**cobaltdream:  ** yes they do but how do I get it to them if I can not mail it......  I wrote them and they should get back with a solution hopefully...  I have been needing a model hosting site anyway so I got to find my own as well...

@tekmonk:  really great heads..... Maybe might have to pick your brain later in a problem If I can not solve it my self.. 

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 3:49 AM

There's no hurry, Tom, RL is being a bitch at the moment. I know some people are using various free-download-hosting sites. I don't have any URLs to hand to suggest but, from the end-user point of view, they seem to work well. How big is the file, anyway? I can cope with some pretty big email attachments if there's no other choice.

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 4:01 AM

Quote - @ Antonia...   I know Dr. Who but I can not remeber the kid in the gas tank....  Steam engines!  I love them...   I had a mind to model one...  but I can not wrap my head around all the details it has..  I wish I could find detail skematic drawings along with photographs.. I give it a seriously thought..

The particular Doctor Who episodes are a two-parter from 2005, The Empty Child and The Doctor Dances. Picked up a Hugo Award. The gas mask in that isn't a close copy of any of the WW2 civilian masks, but there are plenty of pictures on the web. Technically, the only all-british satellite launch was by steam engine. Hydrogen peroxide decomposes to steam and oxygen.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.