Tue, Oct 1, 5:37 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: Nice observation re: Poser 7 SR1

pjz99 ( ) posted Fri, 09 March 2007 at 5:59 AM · edited Wed, 04 September 2024 at 1:32 AM

It appears that EF improved memory management during rendering pretty significantly - before patching, I had to baby-sit certain renders because memory would bloat up to the point where the render would occasionally run out of memory and fail.  When it would get up to around 2GB I'd minimize Poser to force it to shed un-needed memory.  Now it looks as if the rendering engine flushes memory that isn't needed after every iteration, which is a huge improvement.  Even with a very complex render I've got going right now, with about 15 lights and several large reflective surfaces, 5 raytrace bounces, the process that Poser and the internal renderer are running in is staying around 550MB of physical memory, and 745MB virtual memory - VAST improvement, I don't think I could have gotten this render done previous to the SR1 patch.  Good job EF!

My Freebies

thefixer ( ) posted Fri, 09 March 2007 at 6:05 AM

Nice to see something positive being said, I installed it but haven't yet used it at all, I'm still on my trusty P6 at the moment!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

KarenJ ( ) posted Fri, 09 March 2007 at 7:58 AM

and the delete key works now, too!

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

DigitalDreamer ( ) posted Fri, 09 March 2007 at 11:19 AM

Karen

Did you mean that the delete key has only started working for you with SR1? It's worked for me since Poser 7 was released.

pjz99 ( ) posted Fri, 09 March 2007 at 11:24 AM

A lot of people using P7 have had irritating problems where the Delete key prefers to affect the library palette rather than the document window (acting like a page up key), I think that's what she's referring to.

My Freebies

thefixer ( ) posted Fri, 09 March 2007 at 12:16 PM

Actually pjz99, that little thing is in Poser 6 as well!!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

ockham ( ) posted Fri, 09 March 2007 at 2:33 PM

Yup, that focus problem has been around for a while.  Actually the first
release of P6 was somewhat better; it seemed to include code that
returned focus to the base window after each use of the Library.

The bounce-back disappeared in the first SR of P6 and hasn't
come back since.  There's probably no ideal solution to this
problem, since any default focus location is going to "feel wrong"
in some situations.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

ghelmer ( ) posted Fri, 09 March 2007 at 3:00 PM

Thanks for the heads up pjz99!!  I've been hesitant to install SR1 but you've given me encouragement now!!!  w00tz!!!

Gerard

The GR00VY GH0ULIE!

You are pure, you are snow
We are the useless sluts that they mould
Rock n roll is our epiphany
Culture, alienation, boredom and despair

shedofjoy ( ) posted Fri, 09 March 2007 at 5:30 PM

i had 2 re-install P7 as SR1 made my P7 useless, as it would only produce blank renders no matter what settings i used, on the other hand the only problem i had with P7 prior to SR1 was the .jpg compression problem other than that its great... so i will avoid SR1 until they make it capable of rendering something.....

Getting old and still making "art" without soiling myself, now that's success.

modus0 ( ) posted Fri, 09 March 2007 at 5:47 PM

Karen could be referencing the problem in P7 of the Delete key not doing anything, which for me seemed to be a "sometimes" problem. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.

I definitely like the addition of the Shift-Delete function. By not writing the deletion to undo it works much faster and is nice if you know you won't need to undo the delete.

If you're joking that's just cruel, but if you're being sarcastic, that's even worse.

FrankT ( ) posted Sat, 10 March 2007 at 1:01 PM

Quote - i had 2 re-install P7 as SR1 made my P7 useless, as it would only produce blank renders no matter what settings i used, on the other hand the only problem i had with P7 prior to SR1 was the .jpg compression problem other than that its great... so i will avoid SR1 until they make it capable of rendering something.....

That's possibly down to your firewall not letting Poser talk to the FFRender process.  I had that - all the renders were grey but as soon as I told my f/wall to allow both to talk to each other, voila - renders properly

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.