Wed, Oct 2, 8:29 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Most Commented Photographs

BibbyBear ( ) posted Fri, 20 April 2007 at 4:53 PM · edited Mon, 02 September 2024 at 5:57 AM

I've just been trying to search through the galleries to see if there is a way to filter on the most commented pictures but, although there is a link to the top 100 most commented, this is from all galleries which, I am saddened to see that there are only about five/six pictures in there from the photography gallery, one from Zacko and four/five from Morin3000!

Is there a way to filter just on the photography gallery at all?

I was just going to take a look to see if there are any certain types/genres of photography that seems to appeal the most and to see which photographs I could learn from - assuming that those most commented on were in fact done so due to the quality of the photo.

I'm trying to find a little inspiration as I seem to fall flat in certain areas of photography (portraits, close-ups etc.) but don't get a huge thrill from just doing landscapes and scenery so I was looking for ideas of what to shoot as my imagination just isn't quite up to the same level as some of our best photographers around here.

Is that cheating??  I don't want to copy anyone, just get some inspiration of where to go next.

Thanks for your input. 

Chrissy xx

"I don't suffer from insanity,
I enjoy every minute of it."
:lol:
CCCD Photography 
CCC Dezynz

nattarious ( ) posted Fri, 20 April 2007 at 5:49 PM

Nice question Chrissy... And thread...

I will just wait to see more answers honey...

JOE

NATTARIOUS[C] IS A WELL KNOWN INTERNATIONAL CLUB DJ - PHOTOGRAPHER - GRAPHIC AND COMMERCIAL DESIGNER AND THE OWNER OF XOOM STUDIOS PRODUCTIONS & CERTIFIED LEGAL GOLD MICROSOFT PARTNER!

XOOM STUDIOS PRODUCTIONS® OFFICIAL WEBSITE: WWW.XOOM-ARTS.COM

XOOM STUDIOS PRODUCTIONS® Ultimate Web Templates Just Click It

Onslow ( ) posted Fri, 20 April 2007 at 6:13 PM · edited Fri, 20 April 2007 at 6:19 PM

Attached Link: Annabel Williams

If you select Photography in the drop down box "browse by selection" at the top then click most commented you will get the top 100 most commented photographs.  You may also select a genre.

Nothing wrong in looking for inspiratiopn from others. Have you also thought of looking at the web sites of some sucessful professional photographers. 

You mentioned portraits - how about going to the site of someone like Annabel Williams. Look at her gallery see what you like / dislike about her photography etc.  Annabel is a hugely succesful portrait / wedding photographer.  

And every one said, 'If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve,---
To the hills of the Chankly Bore!'
Far and few, far and few, Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
Their heads are green, and their hands are blue, And they went to sea in a Sieve.

Edward Lear
http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/ns/jumblies.html

BibbyBear ( ) posted Fri, 20 April 2007 at 6:24 PM

I tried selecting photography first and then clicking on most commented, but it just defaults to all galleries again!

I've just had a quick browse through Annabel Williams' site and she is obviously very talented - several leagues ahead of me.  I unfortunately just lack the know-how and perhaps even the "art" of being able to get people in the right place at the right time, or get them to pose for me - I can't communicate what I want them to do simply because I don't know what I want them to do - does that make sense??

Anyway, I think I'm a long way off being able to do portraits so was just looking for inspiration as to ideas of what to photograph without the subject being bypassed in the gallery if I were to upload it - I want a photo that will make people sit up and say "WOW", not just to be polite, but because the shot/subject has rendered them speechless LOL!!

I know, maybe I'm dreaming at the moment, but inspiration is what I'm searching for at the moment and lacking by the bucket-load.

Thanks again for the link - added to my favourites! xx

CCCD Photography 
CCC Dezynz

BibbyBear ( ) posted Fri, 20 April 2007 at 6:28 PM

Ah..... just got the filter to work. Doh!!

Thanks anyway guys for the input!

CCCD Photography 
CCC Dezynz

inshaala ( ) posted Fri, 20 April 2007 at 11:35 PM

my most creative times come from when i am bored and thinking of random things i can do with objects around the flat.  Grap some incongruous things and see if you can take some weird shots of them.  Look for different angles, break the rules, experiment... have fun or "play" as i like to call it :)
one thing which has got me thinking about things like that is being a member of dpchallenge.com - every week there is a challenge to take a picture along a theme... only the really good shots do well and it pushes you to be creative and also you learn along the way.  Also - you are told what the theme is rather than having to think up something, so in that sense it is easier.  I havnt done very well so far, but i think i enjoy the challenge it poses more than anything.
Or you could just ask someone to give you a random word and then take a picture of that "word" ;)

"In every colour, there's the light.
In every stone sleeps a crystal.
Remember the Shaman, when he used to say:
Man is the dream of the Dolphin"

Rich Meadows Photography

BibbyBear ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 5:48 AM

Thanks Rich - I think I'm better when given an idea as I'm not a very creative person.  I'm hoping that as my photography grows and improves and I understand shadow/light etc more, the I will be able to see something and "imagine" it if I did this or that to it or took it from that angle or the other, but at the moment, I struggle to see beyond what is interesting enough to shoot at and then just concerning myselft over getting the fundamental basics right - I'm getting there, slowly though!!

I'll have a look around the other site you mentioned, don't think I'll join in just yet 'cos if you're not doing very well so far then I wouldn't stand a chance - and why humiliate myself intentionally!!!?  Maybe I could join in the ideas and concepts, but not actually upload them to the site, just use them for ideas and inspiration - which is exactly what I'm looking for at the moment!

Right, off to Erdigg near Wrexham this afternoon - let's see if I can get enough good shots to keep my gallery growing over the next week!!

Thanks again everyone, for your advice and input - I do listen, even if it looks like I'm being negative!! xx

CCCD Photography 
CCC Dezynz

bclaytonphoto ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 9:28 AM
BibbyBear ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 8:37 PM

Thanks Bruce - I've done a search on Amazon UK and found the book by Bryan Peterson there, so I will order that, along with one of his other books, on Tuesday when my pay goes in the bank.  Hopefully I will learn some useful tips and tricks. xx

CCCD Photography 
CCC Dezynz

PhrankPower ( ) posted Mon, 23 April 2007 at 12:24 PM

Don't forget to keep in mind that sometimes the most commented pictures are more a result of who the photographer was instead of the photograph. I would love to see a system where the true identity of the photographer isn’t revealed for a full week after a post is made. My guess would be that the amount of comments would change greatly from the current norm! They would actually be based on the true merits of the photograph! Then after a week, we would be able to see whose work we had commented on, and also see how different our commenting patterns had changed. That would really make it interesting around here! Consider that! marshall

inshaala ( ) posted Mon, 23 April 2007 at 12:57 PM

now that is an excellent idea - although diffiult to implement considering there are quite a few people (myself included) who put copyright notices on their work both watermarked and apparent...

"In every colour, there's the light.
In every stone sleeps a crystal.
Remember the Shaman, when he used to say:
Man is the dream of the Dolphin"

Rich Meadows Photography

BibbyBear ( ) posted Mon, 23 April 2007 at 1:16 PM

Yeah, but I totally agree - I often find that there is a "tit for tat" thing going on with commenting but I myself only comment if I want to and not because of who it is - OK, that may sometimes mean that I leave comments on just about all of some people's picts due to the fact that I like them all - hence I've added them to my faves.

I've said recently to someone in an IM that I look forward to opening an email notifying me that someone, who I personally classify as a great photographer (and there are a few of you - you know who you are!!) has commented on one of my uploads - I know I will be getting good, honest comments from those people and it usually means that they have found my pict good enough (hopefully!) to look at in the first place - even if it still requires critique.

Hope that all makes sense?

Great idea though Marshall!! xx

CCCD Photography 
CCC Dezynz

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.