Tue, Oct 22, 6:29 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Freestuff

Welcome to the Freestuff Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, RedPhantom, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Freestuff F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 2:10 pm)

Welcome to the Freestuff Forum. The Freestuff Forum is intended for all  freestuff related postings within our community. This is a highlight area where our membership is invited to review, announce and give feedback in greater detail on various freestuff items offered.  Members can also post wishes of freestuff items they would like to see.

Notice: Links to offsite 'For Sale' items will be removed

Renderosity Free Stuff Area

Free Stuff Gallery

Free Stuff Guidelines

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: freestuff uploads

tping ( ) posted Tue, 26 June 2007 at 9:10 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 6:26 PM

I have alot of photos that would be suitable for textures, both organic and inorganic subjects. I would like to share these but am unsure how to present them to best effect. 
Specifically:
       What are my exact options here at Renderosity?
       Should I use a site like ShareCG and post a link?
       What is a good all-around size for maximum utility for a broader range of users?

I have very little in the way of uncommited funds so I am limited to free hosting and never having done this previously I need a bit of guidance. Any advice will be appreciated!

I can also be commissioned (you know, asked nicely) to shoot something in particular you might have in mind. As long as you are not in a real hurry, because I can't promise exactly when I'll be able address any such requests. I am nearly always in a time crunch, so it might be right away or it might be a couple of weeks. If it's something I wouldn't be able to get to in a reasonable timeframe  I would tell you.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Tue, 26 June 2007 at 9:56 AM

Your only free option as far as Renderosity goes is to provide external hosting for the files. ShareCG has the advantage that they pay you depending on ad revenue and clicks on your page(s), and you can show people what they're going to get without needing to have a web site of your own. Probably best not to rely on it as a method of getting rich quick, though. ;) For images, then one of the image hosting sites such as ImageShack would work just as well, except without the payment. As for size, you can assume that anyone who downloads will at least have the ability to resize an image, so my preference would be "as big as possible, please". You can post the images individually, which will take time and effort; or if they fall into specific themes you could zip them up in sets and post those. Don't forget to include a readme to tell people what your terms of use are, and how to contact you in case they feel compelled to shower you with money. Might happen! :D

tping ( ) posted Tue, 26 June 2007 at 8:25 PM

Re:EnglishBob
Thanks for the idea of organizing and bundling similar photos into zip files. That's precisely the type of insight I am looking to receive. My intent  is not to make money only to provide some interesting texture possibilities for general use. The money matter is on my end regarding lack of excess funds to maintain a website. I used ShareCG only as an example, if I were to go that route the funds would be plowed back into generating more things for eveyones use. I should have mentioned I intend on using Otto the Cleaner's IDCL license. It stands for "I-Don't-Care-License", signifying that what you do with anything under that license is up to you and your conscience. Experience dictates that wealth is ephermal while kindness grows and spreads to others.
I'm not real clear on the amount of data Renderosity allows you to upload to the FreeStuff before you incur a charge or if you do. I am hoping that someone familiar with Renderosities policies can assist. I don't want to bother the moderators with every little thing so I put this out for the community to provide feedback.

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Tue, 26 June 2007 at 9:10 PM

There are no fees at all to upload to the freestuff section...some members have thousands of items there ;)

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/top_contributors.php

The only thing that Rendo hosts are thumbnails now..so its not a drain..upload all ya want :D

And dont worry about bothering the mods/coords...we're here to help ya :)

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

tping ( ) posted Wed, 27 June 2007 at 8:24 AM

Thanks alot Jumpstartme2. 

I meant "bother" in the sense of not adding to your load when there is a large repository of knowledge available to draw from for answers to questions like I posted here. I was going to put you at the end of the list to ask, or at the top if you look at it the other way around. 

(As in, Oh guru of the mountain I have climbed the heights to seek your wisdom. Tell me, what is 42 )

Since Rederosity only hosts thumbnails, where do I put the actual files? I need to know how to go about setting up a place for the items to be readily available for anyones usage. All my previous upload experience has been in direct links to clients. I work with a number of proprietary files so I've never set-up a centralized file location with outside access.

My webserver uses a filtering system that can be a bit odd about what it allows through or rejects so for functionality I need to put the files somewhere else for accessibilty.

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Wed, 27 June 2007 at 4:20 PM · edited Wed, 27 June 2007 at 4:22 PM

Quote - (As in, Oh guru of the mountain I have climbed the heights to seek your wisdom. Tell me, what is 42 )

Heyyyyy..I like that :laugh:

Anyway, you can go over to ShareCG, create an account, upload your zipped items, then it will give you a link...you take that link, bring it over here, go to the fresstuff section, and click on 'upload', then will get a screen to fill out, along with a thumbnail image, link url,  etc..then it goes into a pending area, where I or other staff will test it and approve it. {or reject it if something is wrong, and we will notify you}

The other way is if you dont want to wait for approval in the freestuff area, is you can bring the link from ShareCG straight to this forum, and post it in a thread to announce it. Your item however wont be tested persay like it would be in the freestuff section...

If that doesn't help, then shoot me an IM and I'll walk you thru it myself ;)

~Jani

tping ( ) posted Wed, 27 June 2007 at 5:33 PM

Re:Jumpstartme2
Well your post is exactly what I needed to know. I bet it will help a few other people too!
I noticed your name pop-up in the new ShareCG forums...guess I should have gone straight to you for advice. (ie. note previous guru *comment)*Can you tell I'm a huge Douglas Adams fan? So Long and Thanks for All the Fish is a wonderfully witty satire, shame about his passing.
I liked that license idea too when I came across it in connection to a really good Blender tutorial by the person known as Otto the Cleaner.  (I wonder if he still cleans shower doors during commercials on German television?)
Given my background, I'm for the post, test, then release flow the Freestuff section follows, Not much point in giving something away if it isn't going to work properly, none of us needs extra frustration. If anyone does I've a couple of teenagers I can lend out.
Thanks for your help and expect to see something within a week. :)

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Wed, 27 June 2007 at 11:10 PM

You are very welcome ;)

~hehe~ Yup, Im there at SCG...heck Im all over the place :lol:

Will be watching for your items to pop into Freestuff ;) {and that is a wicked cool looking avatar you have}

~Jani

Lord_syphex ( ) posted Thu, 28 June 2007 at 7:15 PM

Speak of Sharecg did you ever hear from Jacob Jumps?

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Thu, 28 June 2007 at 10:41 PM

Still haven't heard back from him :(

~Jani

tping ( ) posted Sat, 30 June 2007 at 6:27 PM

Well for some reason I can't upload or send mail here on Renderosity all of a sudden. I get FORM REQUEST DENIED to either attempt. I'm really hoping it's my ISP. 

Anyway, uploaded a couple of things to ShareCG. I hope they will be useful, I'll put more out after I track down the upload problem.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to assist me.

Lord_syphex ( ) posted Mon, 02 July 2007 at 1:00 AM

I am begining to think something is up with the way they "count" over there jumps.

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Mon, 02 July 2007 at 4:14 AM

Sent ya an IM Syph ;)

~Jani

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.