Sun, Oct 6, 5:52 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Shading rate on body parts

stormchaser ( ) posted Fri, 20 July 2007 at 11:17 AM · edited Sun, 15 September 2024 at 2:45 PM

OK, I feel like a bit of a dunce here, but here goes.
I generally have my render shading rate at 0.2, which is also the same rate for figure parts etc by default. I used to have my shading rate lower but then I found out  that going below 0.2 in the render settings will have no effect if the body parts aren't also changed to below 0.2. Now my question is this, do I need to change every single body part's shading rate? I ask this because there are so many parts if you include just what's in the hand alone. Is there a way with one click that the entire body's shading rate can be changed, or will a python script be needed for this. I've tried a search but couldn't find anything. I guess I can ask over at the Python Scripting section.
Thanks.

nruddock ( ) posted Fri, 20 July 2007 at 1:49 PM

The shading rate for an item is the higher of the rate set on the item and the rate set in the Render Settings.

If you need a small shading rate value, you therefore must adjust both the value in the Render Settings and the value on any body parts or props that need a lower shading rate.

I think somebody did do a script to set everything in the scene to a shading rate of 0, allowing the Render Settings value to determine the shading rate.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Fri, 20 July 2007 at 2:04 PM

we'll try to find out who wrote the script that changes all objects' shading rates. something to add to the poser 8 alpha, anyway. along with steve's texfiltering script.

stormchaser ( ) posted Fri, 20 July 2007 at 2:09 PM · edited Fri, 20 July 2007 at 2:09 PM

Thanks nruddock & Miss Nancy.
I hope I can get my hands on a script, it would just save so much time than having to go through each body part. 
I've just been using the texture filtering script & that is a good time saver as well.

nruddock ( ) posted Fri, 20 July 2007 at 4:30 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=1968722&ebot_calc_page#message_1968722

Found the thread, ockham did one.

It's P5 vintage, but I'm sure it can be tweaked if there are problems with P7.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Fri, 20 July 2007 at 4:36 PM

file_383466.txt

attached is a modified version of one of svdl's scripts. lemme know if it works.

carodan ( ) posted Fri, 20 July 2007 at 5:31 PM

Be warned however, lowering min shading below 0.2 (with the bodyparts set to 0 etc) can add a heap of render time. Nice details though.

PoserPro2014(Sr4), Win7 x64, display units set to inches.

www.danielroseartnew.weebly.com

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Fri, 20 July 2007 at 6:47 PM

setting 'em all to zero means that the setting for all of 'em becomes whatever's in the render settings screen (as mentioned by noel above).

stormchaser ( ) posted Fri, 20 July 2007 at 9:14 PM

Thanks for the links nruddock & Miss Nancy, very much appreciated. I'll be doing a test later on today, I'll let you know how it works.

carodan - I'm one of those people who don't mind waiting hours & hours for renders to finish, it's all about the finished picture. I render alot in Vue with spectral atmospheres etc so long render times are the norm for me!

stormchaser ( ) posted Fri, 20 July 2007 at 9:27 PM

I should have gone to bed, but I had to give it a try. Yes, the script works!!
Again, thanks alot.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.