Sat, Aug 3, 8:11 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 02 3:21 pm)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Poser 7 support?

mickmca ( ) posted Mon, 06 August 2007 at 9:39 AM · edited Fri, 02 August 2024 at 3:17 PM

I just reintalled C5P and the 5.1 update from March 2006, and suddenly my Poser imports are not working. Some of them have been "touched" in P7. Is that the problem? If so,

1. Any ideas how to fix it and
  2. Any word on whether C6P will support P7?

M

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Mon, 06 August 2007 at 10:01 AM

Hi M, C5P and Poser 7 do not play well together - and aren't expected to in the future either from what I've read. If you point Carrara to use the Poser 6 .exe/.app everything will work ok EXCEPT if you've used the talk designer or the layered/non-linear timeline editor. Also, while I personally haven't experienced it, some morph targets may not perform as expected. If your interested, C6 features will be announced this week at Siggraph. I suspect that there will be some enhancements that may make the use of Poser less of an issue. ;) Mark

dlk30341 ( ) posted Mon, 06 August 2007 at 12:41 PM

Ringo has posted a movie about compatibility:

http://www.digitalpainters.net/car/C...content1a.html

You won't even have to have Poser anymore.

On a side I'm using C5P with P7 & have not encountered any isssues.  I do not use dynamic hair or clothes.

notefinger ( ) posted Mon, 06 August 2007 at 2:22 PM · edited Mon, 06 August 2007 at 2:24 PM

Check Mate! Game over! Daz3d has won, Poser lost. I watched the movie above and the merging of landscape, Poser and 3D program have been merged in one easy to use Carrara enviroment. That's truely spiffy. I've been dreaming of happening for years. I won't miss Poser at all. I could save alot of hard drive space and take off my two Posers, Vue and Bryce.

DCArt ( ) posted Mon, 06 August 2007 at 2:22 PM · edited Mon, 06 August 2007 at 2:23 PM

Attached Link: New C6 Feature - Content Support

Not sure if this will help, but Poser/Studio support is being previewed today ... in case folks have questions. The new feature announced today is content support, on this page ....

mickmca ( ) posted Mon, 06 August 2007 at 7:10 PM

Based on the two links, I'd say Poser is toast. A shame too. I was a dedicated user for nearly ten years, and I'm last one to buy into DAZ' schlocky hype. But if C6Pro is as good as the demos suggest, I will abandon Poop 7, forget about reinstalling P6, spend my P8 bucks on C6Pro, and get on with my life.

Talk about squandering good will.
M

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 06 August 2007 at 11:32 PM

who knows? maybe they'll put the advanced rendering techniques into the Poser 8 GUI that are now available only via python scripts.

DCArt ( ) posted Tue, 07 August 2007 at 9:10 AM · edited Tue, 07 August 2007 at 9:13 AM

Except that Carrara 6 is more than Poser 7 plus advanced rendering tools ... it's more like Poser 7 with a built in terrain generator (Bryce/Vue) and Modeler (take your pick of any, even free).

The only major things missing from Carrara that would be present in a Poser/Vue/Modeling App combination are the cloth room and the setup room. We don't know what's coming in teh future.  Carrara has its own rigging features so that's a non-issue for those who want to stay only within Carrara. With so much pre-rigged content out there that comes in fine, the only ones that would need rigging tools are those who develop content specifically for Poser.

In Carrara 6, you can add content, model original content, and create realistic scenery all in one application, without having to worry about import/export issues, scaling, and all of the other stuff you have to consider when you transfer from one app to another. Add to that Carrara's shaders (which meet or exceed Poser's advanced shaders), and dynamic hair (which from the examples looks absolutely stunning).

If I had my money on the line, and didn't  already have apps that didn't do content handling, scene generation, and modeling, at this point my money would be on Carrara 6 instead of Poser 7+/Vue or Bryce, and a modeler, simply for the convenience of being able to compose a scene, develop new content, animating, and rendering all in one application.

DCArt ( ) posted Tue, 07 August 2007 at 11:17 AM · edited Tue, 07 August 2007 at 11:19 AM

Argh, noticed some typos above after I could still edit the post ...

Corrections ...

If I had my money on the line, and didn't  already have apps that did content handling, scene generation, and modeling, at this point my money would be on Carrara 6 instead of DAZ|Studio or Poser 7+/Vue or Bryce, and a modeler, simply for the convenience of being able to compose a scene, develop new content, animating, and rendering all in one application.

hdaggers ( ) posted Tue, 07 August 2007 at 11:46 AM

It really seems there are a few Poser users who aren't thrilled with P7 and not upgrading. I'm not trying to be propagandist about something I know little about, and of course some people are compulsive upgraders but the concensus seems to be P6 was a big step and P7 not so much (I use P5 which was free and IMHO worth it ;) )

Most 3rd-party content developers are continuing to retro-support all the way back to P4, and that has probably enabled the idea that a Poser upgrade is optional. Seeing as how there has never really been a rival to Poser before, I feel development has stalled yet it's been the de facto utility. New features seem to be incorporating functions of other old apps that DAZ bought long ago (talkdesigner-mimic).... Poser played defensively when they had the lead.

I certainly didn't expect Carrara6 to be positioned as Daz's Poser-killer. That was a complete surprise! (Although in retrospect it seems rather obvious.) I guess I was expecting Transposer3 and import with Studio (with Studio having the new C-look option working like a plugin).... Every minute I'm in Poser (and yeah, it's an old free version that crashes a lot) I wish I was back in Carara.

It's not like I want to work in Poser, I just want to use the Poser content. Transposer has been a good transition that opened up the PO$ER mall for me, but it just felt like a foot-in-the-door, not real access. I'm glad I came late and reluctantly to Poser before I invested in an upgrade. I only just (last night) hit the 2-figure morph-replication issue, and my first thought was "WHEN is C6 coming out..?" Dumping poser won't be too difficult.

Sorry to take this further off-topic.
holly

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2007 at 9:25 AM

I can't wait! I'll be upgrading my C5 to C6Pro as soon as it comes out! Poser Pro? Not so much! Poser 8? Depends on  whether it really does something worth buying it for! Seeing as how I haven't used Poser 7 since I bought it, other than to move the content to a runtime Poser 6 can use and stealing the headroom data for Poser 6 to access for the Poser 7 figures. I tried the morph tool, rather use Zbrush3! Talk Designer? I have Mimic! Universal Poses? I have Puppetmaster! Hurry up C6Pro!!!

mickmca ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2007 at 4:57 PM

I've been threatening to back out of P7 to P6 for months, and only held back by laziness and the fact that even though I own two P6 licenses, I can't find the CDs or serial numbers for either of them. I quit doing final renders in P6 soon after I got up to speed with C5P, accepting the compromises on shaders (they don't import correctly, even with TransPoser) as a tradeoff for lights, workspace, and rendering speed that made Poser 6 look like a toy (and at less than twice the price of Poser). Poser Pro is cool, like putting a Bose radio in a Chevy. Whatever turns your crank, kids. If DAZ delivers what it promises, I may not even read the claims about P8, come "Part them with their money" time at eF.

Isn't it too bad, the e-F was in the perfect position to do with Poser and Shade what DAZ has managed to cobble up? My guess is that the best deal DAZ got in five years was the programming team at Eovia, the same people who turned RDS5.5 into Carrara. Think where we'd be today if Metacreations had sold Poser to the Carrara folks.

M

hdaggers ( ) posted Thu, 09 August 2007 at 9:18 AM

Poser seems limited by its own design. Can I tell you how much it irks me to load a non-human object into Poser at it calls it a "figure"? Even clothes and props! It's as if Poser was only ever capable of nekkid mannequins and everything else is a workaround. And the Runtime is so out-of-whack. Every option from textures to morphs are filed under "poses". And are those new boots a "prop" or a "figure"? Augh! it's so e-tarded. They should have stopped that nonsense by v5 when it was obvious no one was using it as an illustrator's dummy anymore. Little wonder Poser is the joke of the 3D world. It just so doggedly played its one-note.

It's probably easier for a full-function 3D app (like Carrara) to gain Poser functions, rather than Poser try to become a full-featured app. They've just made no effort in that direction. Maybe it's not possible without abandoning the dumb runtime folders. On a Mac you are always confronted by the runtime folders....

(ok, enough poser bashing from me... fast forward to end of August already!)

DCArt ( ) posted Thu, 09 August 2007 at 9:37 AM · edited Thu, 09 August 2007 at 9:51 AM

Maybe it's not possible without abandoning the dumb runtime folders. 

It's a dilemma for sure, but a large part of the problem would be the support for legacy content. And the other difficulty would be that if it DOES become "open ended" there would have to be at least some sort of standard that hundreds of content developers can agree on so that those who use content would know where to find things.

Maybe one solution is to revamp the library system so that a content developer can create a folder under their own merchant name, and beneath that make a folder for each product. That single folder could contain everything ... poses, figures, add-ons, morphs, textures, and whatnot, in a single folder. Then the users can install it anywhere they like.

BUT ... and this is a big but ... when there is a reliance between products to make two products work together (morph packages, geometry calls, etc), it makes it difficult to search for things with an "open ended" library structure. We can safely assume that each vendor will arrange things in the way they think is best and easiest, but what is easy for one isn't always easy for another. On top of that, we can ALSO assume that customers will put things where they want to put them, making the "search for" possibilities even more difficult to anticipate.

It seems to me it would just be a matter of removing the reliance of having to put SPECIFIC file types in a SPECIFIC library folder in order to gain access to them. I mean, if you can make a pose file add materials, expressions, joint parameters, and other things, or change a figure to a prop by changing the file extension and hacking a couple of lines, then maybe a single file extension that can be a "does any type of content" solution would be the way to go. The addition of a Scene library could solve that, but convincing the developers to USE it is a different matter. Look at how confused everyone got when conforming figures started showing up in the Props library. 8-)

Dunno how easy that would be, though.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.