Wed, Sep 25, 1:26 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 24 11:25 pm)

Subject: Looking for a Texture Editor, what's a Poser/Bryce User's first choice?

Rhiana ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2008 at 1:13 AM · edited Wed, 25 September 2024 at 1:25 AM

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a good editor for seamless textures. I have checked the web and mainly found "genetica".

Yet I am not certain if this tool is suited to do skin textures... as most textures I have seen were stone/tiles/constructs and such...

Also, anyone has a good tutorial how to  create textures on my own... me and my photo camera?

Servus
PS: I am at work, so patience for answers

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2008 at 1:18 AM

This thread might help you.

http://market.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2660658

Lots of people use Merchant Resources and many take their own photographs of models.

Here is a thread that has some links to free resource kits for skin textures.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=3181494

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

RAMWorks ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2008 at 1:18 AM

Image Synth is a good one!!

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE  

Paloth ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2008 at 1:19 AM

Download the free version of Dogwaffle. Load a file and make a seamless brush. Export the brush as an image.

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

Rhiana ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2008 at 1:44 AM

Wow thank you :) for the quick answers.

I hope to create my own skin textures, because I am not certain in how far I have to credit the actual creator of a skin-texture even if I altered it. It's a bit tiresome to list all the creators of the packs/textures I use when showing my stuff at deviantart sigh

Selling my creations or edits of existing material is not an option as I merely use it for my private joy to create characters (for friends, who want to see their avatars in 3D) or give characters of my novel (I am a hobby writer, not commerical yet) some "visual appearance". But I dunno what happens as soon as I get one day a book published and want to use the characters I have created with bought, yet edited, material as base for illustrations.
The original creator of the texture usually has all rights reserved, I guess.

Will dig through the information as soon as I am at home :D Thank you again!

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2008 at 1:53 AM · edited Wed, 27 February 2008 at 1:54 AM

Quote - Wow thank you :) for the quick answers.

I hope to create my own skin textures, because I am not certain in how far I have to credit the actual creator of a skin-texture even if I altered it. It's a bit tiresome to list all the creators of the packs/textures I use when showing my stuff at deviantart sigh

Selling my creations or edits of existing material is not an option as I merely use it for my private joy to create characters (for friends, who want to see their avatars in 3D) or give characters of my novel (I am a hobby writer, not commerical yet) some "visual appearance". But I dunno what happens as soon as I get one day a book published and want to use the characters I have created with bought, yet edited, material as base for illustrations.
The original creator of the texture usually has all rights reserved, I guess.

Will dig through the information as soon as I am at home :D Thank you again!

From what I understand if you buy something you are free to use it in your commercial ventures, even if you "edit" it. Now by commercial ventures I am referring to you rendering images for your book. However, altering the textures and then repackaging them to sell or give away is not acceptable, unless you are using a merchant resource kit. Those are created for that purpose in mind. However I read a thread here not long ago where someone complained that they were using Merchant Resource Kits to make characters to give away free and the vendor of the merchant resource kit got upset about that  and told them that the kit was for commercial purposes only,  and not to be used to create freebie characters.

So always read the readme and fine print!

Now freebie resource kits are another matter. Some allow you to use them for commercial ventures such as  character illustrations for your book, while some others will not allow it and insist that their resource kits only be used for personal use only IE: hobby stuff.

If you do use a purchased merchant resource kit and create a character that you want to sell, you do need to list the resource kit and the vendor in the readme and indicate that you have made a derivative of the textures.

You can check in the Copyright Forum though just to be sure that I've given you the correct information. I don't claim to be an authority on the subject.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Rhiana ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2008 at 4:51 AM · edited Wed, 27 February 2008 at 4:56 AM

Thank you :) I will check there

Oh, and I am not really interested in repacking it as a texture/MAT pack to give it away. It's more for my personal use, to have more different textures to pick from. I do not like using my current three texture packs for M3 (M3, Adrian, Kyler)  over and over again... so the  need is big to create variations... faces with more beard shadow, faces with scars, scarred bodies... and all that.
A lot photoshopping :D and adding different texture elements or completely different textures.

Note:
Most freebies I downloaded, I could use for commercials, as long as I do not sell the freebie itself or claim this freebie as my own. Which I wouldn't do, anyway. But honestly, the freebie-creators I downloaded from usually give you a better idea what to do and what not to do with their creations.

I would expect from commercials the same... but the Daz products I got so far, do not really give me that much detailed right-information. Or I am simply blind. When I check the readme, it shows me a html page, with "thank you for purchasing XXXX" and a lot bla bla.
But never really saw a detailed explanation if they dislike seeing it altered or not.

But perhaps that link you gave me will help :)  

staigermanus ( ) posted Tue, 20 May 2008 at 12:28 AM

Attached Link: Seamless Plus plugin from PD 2.1 - free video tutorial

file_406468.jpg

> Quote - Download the free version of Dogwaffle. Load a file and make a seamless brush. Export the brush as an image.

Indeed if you open an existing image into Dogwaffle or create one from scratch in it, you can then transfer it into the brush system as an image-based brush, which Dogwaffle calls a custom brush. There's in fact an easy option for that in the Brush menu's top: Use selected as brush. By default the whole image is selected so the whole image loads into the custom brush.

Then use the menu: Brush> Make Seamless and you're on your way to making the texture into a seamless version. Once that's done, the image i still in the brush, although in PD Pro (the non-free versions 3.5 or 4) there's more options including sending the image to the buffer if I recall. Anyway, you don't actually have to send it from brush to image buffer before saving. You can indeed save the brush image directly, from menu:Brush>Save

Check http://www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle for more info, as well as http://www.thebest3d.com/pdpro

There are lots of fre tutorials, some on textures for planetary surfaces, some video tutes also on 'Make Seamless'  and another on 'Seamless+'

See also http://www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/whatsnew  as one of the 3.x versions (was it 3.6?) also added new features in that Make Seamless tool.

-Philip
thebest3d.com - beyond digital painting

PS: see the latest "Dogwaffler of the Moment" gallery (DOTM) here:
http://www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/dotm

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.