Mon, Oct 21, 5:58 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 3:29 pm)

Subject: Volumetric Clouds ?

Strixowl ( ) posted Mon, 13 April 2009 at 8:48 PM · edited Mon, 07 October 2024 at 7:30 PM

Can anyone tell me the difference between Volumetric clouds and regular ole clouds in 3D. 

Please try to keep it a bit simple.
Thanks

TheHalfdragon ( ) posted Mon, 13 April 2009 at 8:51 PM

i believe one of the differences is how lighting flows around or through them compare to each other

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Mon, 20 April 2009 at 3:16 AM · edited Mon, 20 April 2009 at 3:19 AM

Density of cloud centers.  Both Vue 7 Infinite and Carrara 7 Pro have such clouds.  But you have to look at their renders and compare.

Here are two renders from Vue 7 Infinite using the same cloud: http://www.shonner.com/drafts/vue7_clouds.htm

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

coldrake ( ) posted Wed, 22 April 2009 at 3:18 AM

Volumetric clouds are 3 dimensional.

Coldrake

Strixowl ( ) posted Fri, 24 April 2009 at 10:27 AM

Quote - Volumetric clouds are 3 dimensional.

Coldrake

Hmmm, I've used other cloud & fog type products which were 3D, but weren't sold as "volumetric" nor did they take so long to render.  Don't get it.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Fri, 24 April 2009 at 3:54 PM

3D and volumetric are different things.  Both are 3D though.  A cube of fog is not volumetric.

jestmart ( ) posted Fri, 24 April 2009 at 9:50 PM

3D models as used by Poser are just empty shells.  Use a simple primitive, like cube or sphere with texture and transparency to fake fog or clouds and only the outer surfaces effect the lighting.  True volumetric means the model is treated as if it had volume, lighting will be scattered, defused and refracted by this volume, producing more realistic effects.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Fri, 24 April 2009 at 9:59 PM

In Carrara, volumetric clouds look like frayed cotton balls.  In Vue, volumetric clouds look like cotton balls that are clumpped together.  These are the defaults in both apps and can be adjusted more so in Vue.

Strixowl ( ) posted Sun, 26 April 2009 at 5:03 PM

Thank you so much for all your info folks.  I think I get it now :- )

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.