Fri, Oct 4, 12:19 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: Has anyone found a use for the 'Create Perspective UVs' on the group palette?

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Fri, 29 May 2009 at 3:04 PM · edited Tue, 24 September 2024 at 7:43 AM

According to the reference manual, it'll snap uv coordinates based on the camera angle.

I'm trying to think of how that would be useful.

It doesn't say how to save a uv map of the snap to paint on it.  ??

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 29 May 2009 at 3:59 PM

This thread shows how to do it in Poser, and what it does.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2280990

And here is a tutorial. Although it isn't using Poser, it demonstrates what this sort of thing is for.

http://www.cgarchitect.com/resources/tutorials/misc/tutorial2.asp

Basically, it's a very fast way to lift some 2D object from a photo and quickly make a 3D version. The 3D version will not look right if you move move or rotate it more than about 20 to 30 degrees in any direction, but it can work in many cases. The tutorial shows the creation of a whole building, but that's not the most common use case.

Imagine you have a need to make a trash filled alley. You want to quickly make a few cardboard boxes to throw around. Photograph some boxes, position a Poser box in front of the photo, and you can instantly map the photo box onto the 3D box. Then you can move several of these into place in your scene as background stuff, freely moving them and, within some reasonable limits, you can rotate them a bit.

It's a lot less work than taking six photos of a cardboard box and assembling them into the prop's UV map layout.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 29 May 2009 at 4:25 PM

file_431847.jpg

Here's an example. I just photographed my dirty lunch plate (I had chicken pot pie) and a brand new package of soap I just bought.

I loaded each photo into Poser, importing it as a background.

In front of the plate, I positioned and scaled a Poser sphere. (Not the best shape for this, but I don't have a plate shape handy.)

In front of the soap package, I positioned a Poser box.

Applying perspective UVs, the elements of the photos were mapped onto the box and sphere. Now I can move the boxes and plates around. The plates don't rotate well, because my sphere shape is completely wrong, so i didn't rotate them. But the box can rotate quite a bit - as much as 90 degrees.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 29 May 2009 at 4:28 PM

file_431848.jpg

Here's the photo of the soap I used. Feel free to try it yourself.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 29 May 2009 at 4:48 PM

file_431849.jpg

This is kind of fun. I've never used this before. I photographed a painting. I used a one-sided square but I didn't do a good job of getting the edges at the right place. But it gets the idea across.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Fri, 29 May 2009 at 4:50 PM

not bad! it's useful for quick camera-mapping of some objects, sorta like the old canoma software.

Nance ( ) posted Sat, 30 May 2009 at 3:35 PM

Well this was informative!  Thanks folks - always blipped right on past this feature.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Tue, 02 June 2009 at 11:26 AM

Wow, that's fabulous.  Thanks so much!

I've been slaving over making linzer tart cookies with Wings.  
Just to throw a couple of cookies on a table top.

The perspective uv method looks much easier. 

So, the trick here is to place the object in front of the photo.

Do you think this method will work well with a geodome? 
It's going to have to be scaled to cover the area of the poser universe.

I used Maya paint effects to paint a galaxy cluster.  It would be awesome to make it curve around the scene.

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

WandW ( ) posted Tue, 02 June 2009 at 12:07 PM

BB,

You just never cease to amaze me!  Thanx for the useful tutorial o' the day! :biggrin:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 02 June 2009 at 3:41 PM

file_432193.jpg

Yes it would work with a dome. However, if you drew it flat, it will only look right when you point close to straight into the center of it.

To help prevent this problem, flatten the dome before you apply the perspective UV. This will make the scene "wrap" a little better. Not perfect, but better.

Here is what happens when you don't flatten it first. See how the stars at the edge are smeared and stretched.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 02 June 2009 at 3:42 PM · edited Tue, 02 June 2009 at 3:43 PM

file_432194.jpg

Here's what it looks like from inside.

I added a planet just to make it interesting.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 02 June 2009 at 3:44 PM

Oh and for this type of thing, you do not want to "light" the dome.

Go into its shader. Load your image into an Image_Map node as usual, but plug it into Alternate_Diffuse.

Set Diffuse_Value and Specular_Value to 0. This will turn off all lighting for this object It will just render the image as is.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Tue, 02 June 2009 at 3:47 PM

ah! Ye Olde Star Sphere

now to make it interesting, create a curved section of mesh, map onto that a nebula with transmaps and you can move it where ever you want :)

a similar setup was used for Babylon 5

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Tue, 02 June 2009 at 4:05 PM

It looks gorgeous.   I can't wait to get home and start working on it.

That first one would be great for a starship warp special effect.

Haven't watched Bab5 in a long while. 
Poor Garibaldi, what Fester did to him.

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Wed, 03 June 2009 at 5:21 AM

file_432230.jpg

On a related note, something I did today to illustrate another possible use for perspective UVs ... pulling background elements into the foreground.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 03 June 2009 at 5:39 AM

That's excellent!

ice-boy ( ) posted Wed, 03 June 2009 at 5:52 AM

make it a little darker and it will fit 100% in the BG

bravo

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Wed, 03 June 2009 at 5:56 AM

Quote - That's excellent!

Thanks.  I prefer the refraction technique, myself, but this still has its uses.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Thu, 04 June 2009 at 1:52 PM

file_432326.jpg

a picture of my linzer tart wrapped around a torus. 

just for fun I tried exporting to .obj and tried .3ds, but poser only exported the preview material with it.

Found another tutorial on the perspective uvs magic button:
http://www.daz3d.com/i/tutorial/tutorial?id=1519&_m=d

momodot ( ) posted Fri, 05 June 2009 at 6:19 AM

Little_Dragon that is cool! Thanks.

People used to use Create Perspective UVs to make detail areas across seams on a figure for tattoos on the arms of M2 and V2... you would group the area on the arm... line the camera up to it head on... spawn a prop and create the perspective UV... then a tattoo full size could be mapped/trans mapped to the "decal" which could be parented... worked okay if the bends didn't deform the arm too much.

I used to have a smoothed out face morph for the head and would use Perspective UV to clone a mug shot face onto it... was good from about a 45 degree angle off frontal.

Also I saw a tutorial for creating a magnifying lens effect by creating perspective UV onto a sphere placed over a background image and then using z-scale to create the illusion of refraction.

I loved those early Canoma scenes but could never work out how to make them... anyone ever build lo-res scenes using primitives and perspective mapping? It is fun to have a background image that has a few degrees of play for the camera.

momodot ( ) posted Fri, 05 June 2009 at 6:21 AM

I wonder if you could use perspective UV to paint clothes on background figures from clothing catalog images?

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Fri, 05 June 2009 at 4:04 PM

The trick would be the shape of the model to line up with the catalog image?

I haven't tried the p uv on a figure yet, just props.

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Fri, 05 June 2009 at 7:00 PM

file_432436.jpg

> Quote - I haven't tried the p uv on a figure yet, just props.

It works equally well on figures, though due to the limitations of the grouping tool UI you must apply the perspective UVs separately to each body part.

momodot ( ) posted Sat, 06 June 2009 at 8:58 AM

In a case like that you could spawn a prop of the figure by exporting or with the ockham or D3D script at least for a still image. Okham's script is called "furniturize" or something like that IRC and D3D's is called "prop from figure" or something like that. I use them to reduce render overehead by turning background figures into props along with their clothes.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2010 at 8:35 AM

I've come to really, really love this poser feature.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2010 at 7:52 PM

Thanks for reviving this thread! I'd totally forgotten what a powerful tool this can be!

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2010 at 8:36 AM · edited Thu, 24 June 2010 at 8:37 AM

Quote - In a case like that you could spawn a prop of the figure by exporting or with the ockham or D3D script at least for a still image. Okham's script is called "furniturize" or something like that IRC and D3D's is called "prop from figure" or something like that. I use them to reduce render overehead by turning background figures into props along with their clothes.

'prop from figure' sounds nifty.

exporting a figure to obj and re-importing does something (undesirable) to the material names. 

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2010 at 10:59 AM

file_454860.jpg

Bummers

momodot ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2010 at 11:29 AM · edited Thu, 24 June 2010 at 11:31 AM

Attached Link: http://www.sharecg.com/pf/ockham

file_454861.jpg

Seems like it is gone. But ockham is around here and at http://www.sharecg.com/pf/ockham and I'm sure he would send you the .py.

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2010 at 1:31 PM

file_454867.jpg

Wow! Totally saved my Vase UV issue with some 3DS props I've been converting to PP2's this week.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2010 at 1:54 PM

found the Figure to Prop script!!! :woot:

It's in the Rendo freebies under Dimension3d.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.