Tue, Oct 1, 2:31 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 30 7:03 pm)

Subject: Joint centre question.

xantor ( ) posted Tue, 13 October 2009 at 11:03 AM · edited Mon, 16 September 2024 at 3:54 PM

file_441190.jpg

If I am making an object and it is non symmetrical, how can I find a pivot point in it to put the joint centre at?

For example, the picture shows a tube and a thin box, the centre of the box is not the rotation point, how do I find a specific point in the box to put the pivot point?

This happens a lot with mechanical objects I make where it is difficult to find the exact rotation centre so it would be great if anyone has a solution.

PhilC ( ) posted Tue, 13 October 2009 at 11:16 AM

I usually set the preview style to wire frame then use one of the orthographic cameras and the joint parameter editor to position the center where I require.

xantor ( ) posted Tue, 13 October 2009 at 11:19 AM

Quote - I usually set the preview style to wire frame then use one of the orthographic cameras and the joint parameter editor to position the center where I require.

That is what I usually do as well, but I was hoping that there would be a better way.

markschum ( ) posted Tue, 13 October 2009 at 11:25 AM

Yup, thats the only way I know to do it.
It is possible to write a script to scan the geometry , get the bounding box , and find its center but just visually is usually good enough.

xantor ( ) posted Tue, 13 October 2009 at 12:03 PM

Quote - Yup, thats the only way I know to do it.
It is possible to write a script to scan the geometry , get the bounding box , and find its center but just visually is usually good enough.

I already have a python script that finds the centre of objects, but asymmetrical objects and ones that don`t have the pivot point in the centre are difficult to get right.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.