Mon, Oct 7, 6:22 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:32 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Sine Wave Scroller Text.

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Tue, 06 April 2010 at 11:51 PM · edited Sat, 05 October 2024 at 9:33 PM

I'm not much of a coder, but with all the capabilities in Carrara, is there a way I can generate a Sine Wave Scroller text?

Here is an example of what  Sine Scroller text looks like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jNsIQpBgHA

The example you see would have been programmed in C or Machine Language with a 8 or 16 color Bitmap for the fonts.

bwtr ( ) posted Wed, 07 April 2010 at 12:33 AM · edited Wed, 07 April 2010 at 12:38 AM

Analog

----the movie file is faulty---not in an acceptable current format.

Brian

PS--This should be on yourother thread-----sorry

bwtr

holyforest ( ) posted Wed, 07 April 2010 at 4:47 AM · edited Wed, 07 April 2010 at 4:48 AM

Hello, 
I don't think you need to make a C code. Text feature, deformers and behaviors in Carrara should do the work fine, even better.

---------------------------------------
Holyforest,
Hundreds of shaders for Carrara

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Wed, 07 April 2010 at 5:30 AM · edited Wed, 07 April 2010 at 5:31 AM

Quote - Analog

----the movie file is faulty---not in an acceptable current format.

Brian

PS--This should be on yourother thread-----sorry

Hi Brian,

This is a different animation compared to the other two, but if a moderator feels like it should be in the other one,  you can merge the threads.

The video is encoded in MPEG 2 format, so either the download got corrupted or you dont have the codec to display it.

This is the Codecs that I install on my machines and seem to handle a good percentages of any video that I download from the net.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/codec.htm

bwtr ( ) posted Wed, 07 April 2010 at 7:25 AM

Analog
I believe mpeg 2 is a very out of date codec--no longer generally used and a huge file size compared with the newer mpeg codec versions. (mpg 3 or mpg4.)

Brian

bwtr

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Wed, 07 April 2010 at 8:31 AM · edited Wed, 07 April 2010 at 8:39 AM

Holyforest:
Scrollers are usually pretty long, I think I might have to create a few hundred text objects group them and apply the right type of deformations to give it that look.

Brian:
MPEG-2 is DVD format and also for TV Broadcast, the reason for the Large size is, the video is no compressed as much as MPEG4, but once the final project is complete, I will share it on YouTube, DIVX AVI Format and possibly MPEG4.

bwtr ( ) posted Wed, 07 April 2010 at 7:42 PM

MP2 should not be used on the web I suggest.
My favourites are .mov (H264codec) (QuickTime) which I convert to MP4 in QT for web use.
Brian

bwtr

bwtr ( ) posted Thu, 08 April 2010 at 12:32 AM

file_450876.m4v

Just exampling Brian

bwtr

pauljs75 ( ) posted Thu, 08 April 2010 at 5:32 PM

Here's one that actually seems simple:

1. Make your text object in Carrara.
  2. Select the text in the scenery room.
  3. Go to the modifiers tab in the sidebar.
  4. Click the plus button.
  5. When the dropdown comes up, go to waves and pick the wave modifier.
  6. Set phase at 0 at beginning of timeline and 100 at the end of timeline.
  7. Adjust wave modifier properties as needed.
  8. Alter phase in timeline with tweener if needed. (Oscillate + sawtooth @ 100% up-phase looks good, adjust for repeats.)

If that's not easy-peasy, I'm not certain what is.

Now I'm not sure if the text itself can be made to scroll, but this gives a decent start. I guess you could have one long line of text and move it on one axis to get an appropriate effect. (I'm not sure if Carrara limits text length, so that'll need some testing.)

Oh be careful about editing the text while the modifier is applied. Seems to cause an odd bug that keeps tweeners changes from being applied. (You'll get an error dialog first though.)

I'll post a vid link after my example renders.

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

pauljs75 ( ) posted Thu, 08 April 2010 at 6:25 PM

Attached Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjv0eARquo

Here's the vid. So I did get something that works without going outside of Carrara. Yet like I said, there may be some limitations I haven't ran into because this is just a quickie done for a demonstration.

Barbequed Pixels?

bwtr ( ) posted Thu, 08 April 2010 at 6:44 PM

Well done!
Brian

bwtr

bwtr ( ) posted Thu, 08 April 2010 at 7:33 PM

file_450920.m4v

A little fun exercise using that Waves modifier idea on the flight of a spaceship. Opens up a lot of ideas! Brian

bwtr

pauljs75 ( ) posted Fri, 09 April 2010 at 3:50 PM

bwtr: I blinked when playing that last one, what was it supposed to do?

Barbequed Pixels?

bwtr ( ) posted Fri, 09 April 2010 at 8:18 PM

Just doing those half rolls-----but it was by using the waves idea on the space ship.
Brian

bwtr

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Sat, 10 April 2010 at 6:21 AM

Pauljs75: You are a Genius!!! :)  

First a little about my attempt. before reading your post.

1. I created a text object and was able to put quite a bit of text in there.
  2. I applied the wave modifier and got some terrible distortion to my text and thought
    I'm using the wrong modifier. 
  3. So I applied the Linear Wave instead, but that was the wrong thing as well since the entire
    text got pre-waved so there was no animation at all. 

I read through the manual trying to understand the wave modifiers, and did play with the phase settings, but now looking at your method I realize the importance of setting the oscillation in the tweener.

Oh an one other thing to note.  I tried to network render my scroll text scene and I got weird artifacts on the actual text itself almost like Video Tearing.  I played around with the Network Render settings but it didnt make much of a difference.

I used a standard font, with standard metal shaders applied using one of the included 2 light systems.

I'll re-do everything using your method and display the results. :)

pauljs75 ( ) posted Sun, 11 April 2010 at 12:59 AM

Genius? Dunno about that. It's just something in Carrara I actually remember messing with before. When the process is easy to knock out like that, it's hard to not just give it away.

I know some plugins make artifacts akin to what you describe. But that usually involves cases where you get a reflection of a reflection. (ie: Sparrowhawke's otherwise nifty experimental falloff shader does this.) I still keep these plugins, but move them into a folder outside of the Carrara directories for times when they cause problems. Also in certain lighting conditions (like non-moving direct light in an outdoor scene), it might be good to set the lighting for static scenes under render settings or the background gets noise that looks like video snow.

As to other things, who knows? Could be compression or something like that too. I usually just render to frames for animation and use VirtualDub & Xvid, since they're free and present few problems. (PC only though. I dunno what is comparable to vdub on the Mac side, sorry.)

Barbequed Pixels?

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Sun, 11 April 2010 at 8:57 AM

Thanks for the Input Pauljs75  Now I'm wondering if it has something to do with the ground plane and text shaders being reflective.

All my animations are being rendered to .BMP or .PSD files, which I process in Sony Vegas afterwards.

I dont have any plugins, just a Vanilla Carrara Pro 6 installation.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.