Mon, Jul 8, 3:02 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 07 9:32 pm)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: More Chess Nonsense

drawbridgep ( ) posted Sat, 18 December 2010 at 12:26 PM · edited Sat, 25 May 2024 at 5:57 PM

file_463051.jpg

I thought I would share a few shots from my latest render.

Here's the wireframe.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

drawbridgep ( ) posted Sat, 18 December 2010 at 12:26 PM

file_463052.jpg

The render straight out of Carrara

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

drawbridgep ( ) posted Sat, 18 December 2010 at 12:28 PM

file_463053.jpg

And the postworked one.   I Like the Carrara version too, but really had black and white in my head when I started.

Please go to the gallery to see it in it's glory. 

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

GKDantas ( ) posted Sat, 18 December 2010 at 3:32 PM

Very good render, maybe a printscreen from light setup?

Follow me at euQfiz Digital

drawbridgep ( ) posted Sat, 18 December 2010 at 5:29 PM

Only two lights. One from the left for the window light and a blue faint light on the right. That's all. The hdri is just for reflection.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Sat, 18 December 2010 at 10:28 PM

Fanstastic job. Love it.

Antaran ( ) posted Sat, 18 December 2010 at 10:41 PM

Gorgeous renders! And very nice lighting. I'm amazed it was done with only 2 lights! What's the HDRI? Is it your own or is it available somewhere?

drawbridgep ( ) posted Sat, 18 December 2010 at 11:39 PM

Attached Link: Light Probe Images

The HDRI is one of Paul Debevec's, but maybe not.  But he has some cool ones that I also use a lot.   I've attached the link.  I use St Peters a lot, (but not this time).

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

GKDantas ( ) posted Sun, 19 December 2010 at 6:23 AM

Did you converted to panoramic HDRI? Because Carrara dont use this HDRI very well, but for reflections will work fine... well we can use JPG images as HDRI light in Carrara anyway.

Kixum ( ) posted Sun, 19 December 2010 at 10:14 PM

I'm assuming you did not use the raytraced DOF (at leas it doesn't look like it).

If you turn that on and jack up the quality, it will harden the photo-realism of it but it will also burn some electrons.  Fortunately for you, you don't have a lot of transparency (that I can see) and that will help.

-Kix

Antaran ( ) posted Mon, 20 December 2010 at 8:29 AM

Thank you for the lightprobe link -- very useful resource

Another question I have: when using Carrara's DOF, do you find it better/more realistic than adding it in postwork? And what are the conditions in which you would deem it much more preferable than postwork even with the additional render time?

GKDantas ( ) posted Mon, 20 December 2010 at 2:24 PM

A way to get a more real DOF in postwork is using DOF Pro for Photoshop, it use the depth map layers to adjust thye DOF in the postwork, using real distances, so very believeble:

http://www.dofpro.com/

drawbridgep ( ) posted Tue, 21 December 2010 at 8:03 AM

I'll check out DOF Pro.    I don't think Carrara does that bad a job.  At least it gets the depth better than I would be able to manually in PS.   And the more I can do in Carrara the better.   I really only ran an infra-red filter on this one to give it a monochrome feel and bring out the halation on the white pieces.

Just for kicks I ran the render again with raytracing and cranked up the detail.   There's really not a lot of difference at this resolution.  Maybe if I rendered it larger it would be more pronounced.   

Yeah, no transparency.   I've rendered this set in glass before (with IBL) and it's a painful experience.   Maybe when I get my quad core I'll try again.  :)

I've also rendered it, in glass, with IBL in BRYCE.   That one took "a while"

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

drawbridgep ( ) posted Tue, 21 December 2010 at 8:05 AM

Quote - well we can use JPG images as HDRI light in Carrara anyway.

I meant to pick up on this before.   How do you do this?  Where does it get the light source information from?  I would guess it would go on colour? 

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

GKDantas ( ) posted Tue, 21 December 2010 at 10:02 AM

Use Map in the background, Carrara will use color information to light the scene... my first pack of background was all JPG images.

drawbridgep ( ) posted Tue, 21 December 2010 at 10:13 AM

ha.   I had no idea it could do that.  I thought it only got lighting information from the HDRI.    Off to try.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

drawbridgep ( ) posted Tue, 21 December 2010 at 10:29 AM

Well what do you know.  All this time I've been faking HDRI with Photomatix and I could have probably got away (some of the time) with jpegs.    As long as there's nothing reflective in the scene that works pretty well.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

UVDan ( ) posted Fri, 31 December 2010 at 1:35 AM
Forum Moderator

Sweet job!

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms!!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.