Fri, Sep 20, 1:42 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: Pose2Lux

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 01 March 2011 at 1:05 PM · edited Tue, 01 March 2011 at 1:10 PM

I've a feeling I'm gonna have to make some mini-tutes ;-). Anyone got any specific questions that you've been wrestling with? I prefer not to posts tutes on the obvious ;-). I'll start a new thread...

Laurie

Flenser ( ) posted Tue, 01 March 2011 at 1:47 PM · edited Tue, 01 March 2011 at 1:51 PM

Here's one I posed last night, left to render overnight.

There's a few mistakes, so I'm currently rendering again after making some changes. I think the semi-sphere I used for the water in the bowl is too transparent - the water isn't visible. I forgot to change the focus_distance dial on the camera - the main subject is out of focus.

Software: OS X 10.8 - Poser Pro 2012 SR2 - Luxrender 1.0RC3 - Pose2Lux
Hardware: iMac - 3.06 GHz Core2Duo - 12 GB RAM - ATI Radeon HD 4670 - 256 MB

Jcleaver ( ) posted Tue, 01 March 2011 at 1:50 PM

Wow!  The transparency is amazing!  j/k

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 01 March 2011 at 2:00 PM

Quote - Wow!  The transparency is amazing!  j/k

Flenser ( ) posted Tue, 01 March 2011 at 2:24 PM

file_466147.jpg

Not fair, picture was too big and then it didn't want to upload after I made it smaller. :p

Let's try again shall we.. :)

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 01 March 2011 at 2:45 PM

file_466149.JPG

Antonia...really quick. Rendered for about an hour and added some noise reduction within Luxrender. Also used a camera response file. Nothing earth-shattering ;)

Laurie

jancory ( ) posted Tue, 01 March 2011 at 3:29 PM

good looking skin

lost in the wilderness

Poser 13, Poser11,  Win7Pro 64, now with 24GB ram

ooh! i guess i can add my new render(only) machine!  Win11, I7, RTX 3060 12GB

My Freebies

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 01 March 2011 at 5:06 PM

Thanks. it's odf's skin ;). I was trying out that GREYCStoration noise reduction filter. Works great if you play with it enough ;).

Laurie

jancory ( ) posted Tue, 01 March 2011 at 5:25 PM

i like odf's skin too--real rich effect. been fiddling with that noise filter myself--seems much better than the old one they had. or maybe it's just dumb luck.

lost in the wilderness

My Freebies

DaremoK3 ( ) posted Tue, 01 March 2011 at 6:35 PM

Laurie,

Hi.

I just found out about this, and would have been an early P6 tester (glad to see he found one).  I gave up on the other one not working with my P6, and am happy to see someone who appears to have made this work.

I read the entire thread, and downloaded beta 0.8.2, but I can not get it to activate with Poser 6 SR3.  Maybe I am mistaken with how it works, but I thought it was supposed to load through the python scripts module/window in P6.  The compiled script does not appear selectable with the python module.

I tried to launch the compiled script as stand-alone, and also drag-n-dropped onto my Python EXE.  All to no avail.

I have Python 2.6.2 installed (for working with Blender 2.49b and LuxBlend/LuxRender 0.7.1 SSE1 - I am adept at using LuxRender via LuxBlend).

I have LuxRender 0.8.1 SSE1, and it runs on my system, but I have not tried any renders yet.  The Pose2Lux was going to be my first testing of it.

Do I need to install a newer version of Python (say 3.x series) for this python script to work with P6?  I haven't had a need for a newer version as of yet.

SPECS:

Laptop - Windows XP Tablet Ed 2005, AMD XP-M 2200+ (Single Core - SSE1 Architecture), 1024 MB RAM, SIS Onboard shared graphics, OpenGL 1.2.1 - Python 2.6.2, Poser 6 SR3, LuxRender 0.8.1 SSE1.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Take care...

Ken

Jcleaver ( ) posted Tue, 01 March 2011 at 6:40 PM

You shouldn't need to install a newer version of python.  Just make sure you are using the P6 version of the plugin, Pose2LuxP6.pyc. 

DaremoK3 ( ) posted Tue, 01 March 2011 at 6:47 PM

Forgive me for not stating the obvious.

Yes, I am using the Pose2LuxP6.pyc.

Yes, I do know how to use python scripts in Poser 6.

Yes, I do know how to use Poser (since 97' and Poser 3)

Yes, I am a seasoned veteran with over a decade in 3D, and in many facets within. (not a noob, but maybe a boob)

Yes, I am stumpped on this one.

Yes, thank you for your feedback.  Any help is appreciated.

Take care all...

Ken

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Tue, 01 March 2011 at 7:02 PM · edited Tue, 01 March 2011 at 7:03 PM

ah

by default P6 does not see PYC files, only PY files. but if you enter Pose2LuxP6.pyc into the namebox when you look for the script, P6 will load and run it.

hope that makes sense..

DaremoK3 ( ) posted Tue, 01 March 2011 at 7:07 PM

Thank you Kaibach.

I did not think to "run" the script via the "file" drop-down menu.  I always use the window/module and work via the tabs.  I will give it a try, and see if it works.

Take care...

Ken

odf ( ) posted Tue, 01 March 2011 at 7:17 PM

I had a quick go with the P6 version, and it seems to work very nicely. Love the clean, extensive GUI, by the way.

The scene file that's generated looks okay, too, but I haven't attempted to render it yet.

-- I'm not mad at you, just Westphalian.

DaremoK3 ( ) posted Tue, 01 March 2011 at 7:40 PM

O.K.

It works via the "run" python scripts/file drop-down.

Any users trying this script, but still using good ol' P6 might want to note it does not work with window/python tabs module (if you usually activate python this way, like myself).

Thanks again Kaibach!

AND BIG THANK YOU to Snarlygribbly for creating this!

I'll get to testing right after dinner...

Take care all...

Ken

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Tue, 01 March 2011 at 8:45 PM

Attached Link: Pose2Lux 0.8.4 beta

Update: Version 0.8.4 beta

This update contains an important bug fix which corrects the order in which certain lines of the Lux output file are written.

Also included in the zip file is the MIT licence under which this and all forthcoming releases will be distributed. tl:dr - it's still completely free :-)

Free stuff @ https://poser.cobrablade.net/

Flenser ( ) posted Wed, 02 March 2011 at 1:31 AM

Final version now uploaded - http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2175559

I don't think the water worked though, what kind of object should I use to assign water material to.

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Wed, 02 March 2011 at 9:24 AM

The water is perfectly clear and also perfectly still, and in a highly reflective recepticle. Add in that it is also (deliberately) out of focus, and I'm not sure that it looks wrong under the circumstances?

ErickL88 ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2011 at 11:33 AM

Whereas the beta 0.8.2 works perfectly for me, I get the following error msg with 0.8.4:

Exception in Tkinter callback
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "H:ProgrammeSmith MicroPoser Pro 2010RuntimePythonliblib-tkTkinter.py", line 1345, in call
    return self.func(*args)
  File "L:Poser developmentPloppose2lux.py", line 4796, in ExportToLux
  File "L:Poser developmentPloppose2lux.py", line 3623, in ExportLights
  File "L:Poser developmentPloppose2lux.py", line 2378, in init
TypeError: unpack non-sequence

H:ProgrammeSmith .... is my local Poser inst. path it's also where Pose2Lux is located as well.

Just to have reported it =)

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2011 at 12:32 PM · edited Thu, 03 March 2011 at 12:33 PM

Attached Link: Pose2Lux 0.8.5 (beta)

Thanks Erick!

Update to version 0.8.5 beta

User guide now included in distribution
Added new USE_KEY parameter for use in XML files
Fixed bug in Light export when non-Image map node connected to Light (as reported by ErickL88)

Haruchai ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2011 at 1:32 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2176135

Couldn't really have done this one without this app. Thanks for all the hard work, it really is appreciated.

Poser Pro 11, DAZ Studio 4.9

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2011 at 2:47 PM

I see the manual. :b_blush:

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

alexcoppo ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2011 at 3:28 PM

Quote - I see the manual

+1

GIMP 2.7.4, Inkscape 0.48, Genetica 3.6 Basic, FilterForge 3 Professional, Blender 2.61, SketchUp 8, PoserPro 2012, Vue 10 Infinite, World Machine 2.3, GeoControl 2

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2011 at 3:28 PM

Quote - I see the manual. :b_blush:

LOL

Laurie

Latexluv ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2011 at 5:46 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_466261.jpg

Did this one a couple of nights ago. Sized down from original render for posting here in the forum. Anyone got a setup for dull steel material? Was thinking of exporting a scene I was working on last night and it has a backdrop that has steel pipes.

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Poser Pro 2012, SR2, Paintshop Pro 8

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2011 at 5:51 PM · edited Thu, 03 March 2011 at 5:54 PM

If the pipes have a texture map, try "Not So Glossy". They'll still have a little shine, but not too much. Or, don't set a Luxrender material for it, but set the specular node in Poser to something like 0.01. Go lower if you need it.

Nice image, btw :)

Laurie

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2011 at 5:52 PM

Just for fun, I'm going to make some gemstone and pearl .xml mat libraries if anyone's interested ;).

Laurie

RFreise ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2011 at 5:56 PM

Always interested in new mats

Can't have enough IMHO

jancory ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2011 at 5:56 PM

yes please

lost in the wilderness

My Freebies

Flenser ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2011 at 6:24 PM

Yes your materials are highly appreciated Laurie, your metalics were wonderful.

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2011 at 7:01 PM

file_466264.txt

Here is a dull steel: galvanised steel.

"string filename" ["USE_DATAPATH/nickel.nk"]
            "texture uroughness" ["More metals/galvanised_steel_urough@scale"]
            "texture vroughness" ["More metals/galvanised_steel_urough@scale"]
            "texture bumpmap" ["More metals/galvanised_steel_bump@scale"]
            <used_texture>More metals/galvanised_steel_urough</used_texture>
            <used_texture>More metals/galvanised_steel_urough@scale</used_texture>
            <used_texture>More metals/galvanised_steel_bump</used_texture>
            <used_texture>More metals/galvanised_steel_bump@scale</used_texture>

"float distamount" [1.000000]
            "float noisesize" [0.001000]
            "float nabla" [0.025000]
            "string type" ["cell_noise"]
            "string noisebasis" ["voronoi_f2f1"]
            "float bright" [1.000000]
            "float contrast" [1.000000]
            "vector scale" [1.000000 1.000000 4.000000]
            "vector rotate" [0 0 0]
            "vector translate" [0 0 0]
            "float tex1" [0.10000000149]
            "float tex2" [0.20000000298]

"texture tex1" ["More metals/galvanised_steel_urough"]
           "float tex2" [0.816496580928]

"float distamount" [1.000000]
            "float noisesize" [0.001000]
            "float nabla" [0.025000]
            "string type" ["cell_noise"]
            "string noisebasis" ["voronoi_f2f1"]
            "float bright" [1.000000]
            "float contrast" [1.000000]
            "vector scale" [1.000000 1.000000 4.000000]
            "vector rotate" [0 0 0]
            "vector translate" [0 0 0]
            "float tex1" [0.10000000149]
            "float tex2" [0.20000000298]

"texture tex1" ["More metals/galvanised_steel_bump"]
            "float tex2" [0.000199999994948]

To use this material you need a data file. I've attached it to this post. It needs to be renamed to 'nickel.nk' and then saved in the folder pointed to by the 'Tabbed data files' on your Pose2Lux 'Paths' screen.

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2011 at 7:10 PM · edited Thu, 03 March 2011 at 7:13 PM

Mighty awesome :D

Now, can I add that material to my current Metals xml file and the tabbed data will still work with it? I prefer to keep my like materials nice and consolidated...lol

Laurie

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2011 at 7:14 PM

Quote - Mighty awesome :D

Now, can I add that material to my current Metals xml file and the tabbed data will still work with it?

Laurie

Yes, it will. The parameter USE_DATAPATH is replaced with the folder path you chose for 'Tabbed data files'

If you want to be more organised, change the XML to read something like USE_DATAPATH/metals/nickel.nk and then put the nickel.nk in the metals subfolder. Keeps it tidy that way :-)

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2011 at 7:17 PM

file_466265.jpg

Here's what it looks like under a bright sun

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2011 at 7:21 PM

Quote - Mighty awesome :D

Now, can I add that material to my current Metals xml file and the tabbed data will still work with it? I prefer to keep my like materials nice and consolidated...lol

Laurie

Oh, and in case it isn't obvious - if you put it in a different library you'll need to do a search and replace on 'More metals', which is the name of the library I put it in!

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2011 at 7:45 PM

Thanks for that Snarly...it wouldn't have occurred to me...lolol.

Laurie

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2011 at 8:08 PM

Quote - Thanks for that Snarly...it wouldn't have occurred to me...lolol.

Laurie

I just had a very obvious idea: we just need a parameter like, say, USE_CURRENTLIB that gets replaced with the name of the library the material definition is in.

That way we could move materials from one library to another without having to do a copy and paste job.

I'll add it in when I get back from my trip.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2011 at 12:17 AM · edited Fri, 04 March 2011 at 12:18 AM

Quote - > Quote - Emitters make softer shadows than actual lights. I'm not sure why this is, just that it is ;o).

Because the hardness of shadows depends on the light source's size, and anything except a light-emitting surface is (mathematically) a point, I guess. In real life, if you want a soft light (and soft to no shadows), you use huge lights (with many bulbs, and/or huge diffuser screens in front of them).

As far as I can tell, an emitter in this context is anything that has ambient_value set to 1. Can someone recommend what item I should insert into a scene to set as emitter? I removed the SkyDome (as suggested) which was my emitter... any ideas?

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2011 at 12:21 AM

a simple plane works for me

Airport security is a burden we must all shoulder. Do your part, and please grope yourself in advance.

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2011 at 4:04 AM

Quick word of warning & a feature request....

Warning first, DO NOT use "Hybrid SSPM" on the export tab unless you know for sure you have a machine that can handle it, mine can't & I had the "pleasure" of watching my entire system grinding to a halt within seconds of running Luxrender with that option.

feature request...

Can we have some sort of error trap for those times when someone tries to run the script with no lights in the scene, I get the error message...

"Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "L:Poser developmentPloppose2lux.py", line 5464, in ?
  File "L:Poser developmentPloppose2lux.py", line 5106, in init
  File "L:Poser developmentPloppose2lux.py", line 5252, in LoadSettings
AttributeError: pageLights instance has no attribute 'varFlipHDRI'"

& then I have to restart Poser.

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2011 at 4:10 AM

Quote - Quick word of warning & a feature request.... Warning first, DO NOT use "Hybrid SSPM" on the export tab

I'm sort-of thinking that might just be a stub for when LuxRender is able to actually do GPU render work. No?

Metaphor of Chooks

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2011 at 4:28 AM

I thought with 0.8 it could already use the GPU? did I read it wrong?

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2011 at 4:32 AM

I might not have picked that up... having a look.

Hmmmmm:

"This release is the first to embed GPU acceleration through the OpenCL library. Not all graphic cards/drivers support it yet, that's why on Linux and Windows the release comes in 2 flavours: with or without OpenCL support. If you experience issues with the OpenCL enabled version, let us know and fall back to the other version until we can fix the issue. Right now, only the path integrator with sampling one light source at a time supports GPU acceleration.
Worth noting too: closing the GUI now aborts the render instead of waiting for a clean state with saved data. Don't forget to force a save with the new menu entries before closing if you have large write intervals.
Thanks to all those who have made this release possible, especially documentation writers who are still working really hard on updating information and help topics. We hope it will help exporter writers and users get the most out of LuxRender."

See whatcha mean, Lucifer.

Metaphor of Chooks

Flenser ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2011 at 4:42 AM

GPU rendering works, but use the Hybrid sampler, not Hybrid SSPM.

I've also tried it and I watched it for a few minutes gobbling up all my RAM and then it started filling up my Hard disk with Virtual memory blocks.. when it hit about 20 GB of RAM used I killed it. :p

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2011 at 5:47 AM

Quote - > Quote - Quick word of warning & a feature request.... Warning first, DO NOT use "Hybrid SSPM" on the export tab

I'm sort-of thinking that might just be a stub for when LuxRender is able to actually do GPU render work. No?

Pretty much. It does write out the required paramters to the Lux file, it's just that Luxrender doesn't play nicely yet :-)

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2011 at 5:50 AM

Quote - See whatcha mean, Lucifer.

At least it proves I'm not totally nuts, not yet anyway.  

Poser seems to have picked up a bug somewhere, when I open a pz3 files & go into the Materials room I get a nice little CTD & it's driving me batty, anyone know a way round it? or can you explain why it's my fault?

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2011 at 6:04 AM

Attached Link: Pose2Lux 0.8.6 (beta)

> Quote - feature request... > > Can we have some sort of error trap for those times when someone tries to run the script with no lights in the scene, I get the error message...

Fixed in version 0.8.6 beta

Version 0.8.6 also has support for BB's EnvHemisphere and EnvSphere (but not EnvDome), if you'd like to use skydomes in your scenes. Might work with other skydomes if they have the same mapping as BB's.

To use a skydome in Pose2Lux, apply the new 'Skydome' material from the 'Special' library. NB: 'Portal' and 'Null' materials have been moved to the 'Special' menu too - if you have 'saved scene materials' which reference these materials then you will have to update your saved settings to reflect the changed location.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2011 at 7:45 AM

I'm finally starting to get quite excited about this. Still a lot to learn, but this is clearly a clean, powerful application. Hats off to all those who were involved in the past, and to you, Snarly, for picking up the ball and running with it!

Well done!

Metaphor of Chooks

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2011 at 9:01 AM

Attached Link: Pose2Lux 0.8.7 beta

And for those of you who'd like the Skydome to spin the right way when you revolve it, here's 0.8.7 :-)

Bugfix: Skydomes revolve in the right direction!
Bugfix: Pose2Lux no longer crashes if you use the 'From Left', 'From Top' etc. cameras (Thanks to Cubek for pointing that out)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.