Sun, Oct 6, 8:58 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: GRRRR! Strand based hair and calculating dynamics

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 28 February 2011 at 6:38 AM · edited Sun, 11 August 2024 at 1:07 AM

I have a scene that I have animated that has Sydney asleep on a bed, in the middle of a nightmare. I figured out the animation side pretty easily. The scene looks natural and she moves and twitches just like a hollywood nightmare scene. The problem comes in calculating the dynamics for the hair. I checked the boxes for collision detection on the pillow prop, the bed, and her skull cap. The hair prop itself doesn't have that option. When I do the calculation, her hair still pokes through the pillow and the bed, and drapes as if she is hanging in midair during a magician's levitation act.

What am I missing? I want to pull may own hair out. I figured out how to do an animation with the hair when walking, and even have one that is walking, talking, dynamic clothing (skirt and blouse), and a little wind blowing though her hair. But I can't seem to get past this little problem. HELP!!!

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

ShaaraMuse3D ( ) posted Mon, 28 February 2011 at 6:54 AM

I had this problem with dynamic clothing, and I solved it by making a box with the same size as the bed and parented to it. Then I chose the box/cube as collision object then hide it after the simulation.  Also a lot cheaper and faster than a complex object like the bed. Works with chairs too. :)

Try it and tell me if it works.

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 28 February 2011 at 6:59 AM

I don't seem to be having the problem with the clothing. Just the hair. But I will give it a go and see what happens.

Thanks!

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Mon, 28 February 2011 at 7:16 AM
Site Admin Online Now!

There is a spot or 2 where you need to turn on collisions besides on the objects. I don't remember where though and I don't have poser in front of me to check. I think it might be in that drop down menu on the side of your scene window.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

corinthianscori ( ) posted Mon, 28 February 2011 at 2:01 PM

Go into the HAIR ROOM(no agression meant) and look for a DO COLLISIONS checkbox. That's your culprit. Turn it ON for each hair group. Do a Calculate All Hair and Cloth sim or just for a few hairs to test. OH! And do the CLOTH SIMS FIRST!!!!! Seriously...don't mess that one up! LOL! http://www.youtube.com/user/corinthianscori?feature=mhum

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 28 February 2011 at 9:14 PM

Quote - Go into the HAIR ROOM(no agression meant) and look for a DO COLLISIONS checkbox. That's your culprit. Turn it ON for each hair group. Do a Calculate All Hair and Cloth sim or just for a few hairs to test. OH! And do the CLOTH SIMS FIRST!!!!! Seriously...don't mess that one up! LOL! [http://www.youtube.com/user/corinthianscori?feature=mhum/quote] I have Do Collisions checked on each hair prop. And when I did the cloth sims first, the hair sim messed up the cloth sim. So I do it the other way around. I don't know why it's not working and it's driving me nuts. I want her hair to drape over the pillow and spill onto the bed.

I even tried messing with the dynamic settings and seeing if I could get it to work by changing the bend resistance setting up a little higher... no go. I guess I am going to mess with the whole thing and see what I can come up with.

Oh, and I tried the box idea. Still got the same result... 

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 28 February 2011 at 9:18 PM

Oh, and one important thing I forgot to mention: I am using Poser 8 with all the updates installed.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.