Sat, Aug 3, 3:50 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 03 3:43 am)

Subject: Why in the world...Texture Filtering???

Photopium ( ) posted Wed, 02 March 2011 at 4:42 PM · edited Sat, 03 August 2024 at 2:39 AM

Good lord...I went through and turned off all texture filtering and what a world of difference!  Why have we all put up with this for so long?  Why is it even there?

Crazy.

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Wed, 02 March 2011 at 4:45 PM

For some things it's handy, but for the most part I turn it off.  It would be sensible if it defaulted to None :) can take me ages to set up a new product if I am not paying attention.

John.

Fugazi (without the aid of a safety net)

https://www.facebook.com/Fugazi3D

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 02 March 2011 at 4:49 PM

Yeah, I always turn it off. Still not sure why it's on by default. But then, so is Reflection_Lite_Multi which is also crap and which I also always turn off ;)

Laurie

millighost ( ) posted Wed, 02 March 2011 at 5:52 PM

file_466207.jpg

> Quote - Good lord...I went through and turned off all texture filtering and what a world of difference!  Why have we all put up with this for so long?  Why is it even there? > > Crazy.

It is useful, if your texture is large compared to your image (in pixels) to prevent aliasing. You probably will not need it, if you are using a large rendersize and a lot of antialiasing samples. These however usually cost more time than a little texture filtering would. The difference is most noticable when the texture shows great contrast. In the attached image, the floor has filtering, the wall not. As one can see, the farther the distance, the smaller the patterns become, and therefore the greater the texture (512 pixels) is in relation to the image, so it can look unpleasing (nevertheless interesting) when the aliasing artifacts show up.

Faery_Light ( ) posted Wed, 02 March 2011 at 5:57 PM · edited Wed, 02 March 2011 at 5:59 PM

It would be nice if someone would do a script that turned filtering off.

It can be time consuming to do it by hand.

I've noticed with a lot of hair products my machine hangs if I don't go in and turn texture filtering off for each map.

Edited to say:As a texture maker/vendor, I am now creating all my textures with texture filtering off and oit hasn't effect the quality of the renders so far.

Let me introduce you to my multiple personalities. :)
     BluEcho...Faery_Light...Faery_Souls.

grichter ( ) posted Wed, 02 March 2011 at 6:09 PM

Don't hold me to this. I could be a thousand miles off.

My understanding is quality as the default renders quicker per a thread here a long time ago.

I think the script I have is by SVDL (sp)? that allows you to turn off filtering by selected figure, selected actor or the whole scene. Freebee here if I remeber right. I can check when I get home from work and supply more details if need be.

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

stewer ( ) posted Wed, 02 March 2011 at 6:09 PM

Be aware that rendering without texture filtering can be significantly slower, especially with large textures.

modus0 ( ) posted Wed, 02 March 2011 at 7:49 PM

I've found that often hair tends to look better with texture filtering on than off myself.

If you're joking that's just cruel, but if you're being sarcastic, that's even worse.

jonnybode ( ) posted Wed, 02 March 2011 at 10:34 PM

Useful script by svdl:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/index.php?user_id=99327

A bit down on his newest freestuff page.

markschum ( ) posted Wed, 02 March 2011 at 10:38 PM

several scripts for that are available, try freestuff or python forum.

kobaltkween ( ) posted Wed, 02 March 2011 at 10:46 PM

file_466213.jpg

without it, Poser renders most hair textures pretty poorly, in my experience, unless at a higher resolution than my usual final renders (3600 x 2700) or a facial portrait at that resolution.

svdl made a script to turn it off ages ago, for Poser 7.  i don't know if it works in P8. 

Faery_Light ( ) posted Wed, 02 March 2011 at 11:01 PM

Yes, most hair props do look better with texture filtering, but when I'm doing just tesrt renders I prefer them off.

In the final render, back on.

I'll check the links, thanks.

Let me introduce you to my multiple personalities. :)
     BluEcho...Faery_Light...Faery_Souls.

icprncss2 ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2011 at 6:20 AM

Is there a script to turn of Reflection_Lite_multi?

RedPhantom ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2011 at 7:18 AM
Site Admin

IIRC filtering is needed sometimes, but not always. It also looks beter if you use sinc filter rather than box in your render settings.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

markschum ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2011 at 6:24 PM

import poser
mats = poser.Scene().CurrentFigure().Materials()
for mat in mats:
    nod = mat.ShaderTree().NodeByInternalName("PoserSurface")
    inp = nod.InputByInternalName("ReflectionLiteMult")
    inp.SetFloat(0)
    mat.ShaderTree().UpdatePreview()
poser.Scene().DrawAll()

This will set refl lite multi off for all materials of the current figure

There probably one in freestuff, poser, utilities

RedPhantom ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2011 at 6:07 AM
Site Admin

markschum if that a pythin script? How do I use it? SOrry I know nothing of pythin scripts but click, click.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2011 at 9:43 AM

Quote - > Quote - Good lord...I went through and turned off all texture filtering and what a world of difference!  Why have we all put up with this for so long?  Why is it even there?

Crazy.

It is useful, if your texture is large compared to your image (in pixels) to prevent aliasing. You probably will not need it, if you are using a large rendersize and a lot of antialiasing samples. These however usually cost more time than a little texture filtering would. The difference is most noticable when the texture shows great contrast. In the attached image, the floor has filtering, the wall not. As one can see, the farther the distance, the smaller the patterns become, and therefore the greater the texture (512 pixels) is in relation to the image, so it can look unpleasing (nevertheless interesting) when the aliasing artifacts show up.

wow, this is an awesome demo.  Thanks! 

seeing before and after effects is a big help to learn this stuff.

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2011 at 9:47 AM

Quote - import poser
mats = poser.Scene().CurrentFigure().Materials()
for mat in mats:
    nod = mat.ShaderTree().NodeByInternalName("PoserSurface")
    inp = nod.InputByInternalName("ReflectionLiteMult")
    inp.SetFloat(0)
    mat.ShaderTree().UpdatePreview()
poser.Scene().DrawAll()

This will set refl lite multi off for all materials of the current figure

There probably one in freestuff, poser, utilities

Cool!

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

pitklad ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2011 at 9:57 AM

Sorry for my ignorance but what is bad about refl lite multi? and what is it to begin with... :biggrin:

My FreeStuff

markschum ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2011 at 12:19 PM

file_466293.txt

sorry, I thought most people know this by now :)

create a new text document somewhere and rename it to something you can remember , like set_multi-off.py  then copy and paste the lines of the script from the forum window.  Use File, run python script to run it.

or download the attached file , and rename it to .py

RedPhantom ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2011 at 3:06 PM
Site Admin

Thanks markschum. One day I'll learn python. It's on my to do list right after vss, idl, and matmatica. 

kobaltkween ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2011 at 3:43 PM · edited Fri, 04 March 2011 at 3:43 PM

actually, Matmatic is a Python interface to the material room.  you can't use Matmatic without learning Python.  it's really powerful.  i've been creating Photoshop blend mode functions from equations i'm finding online (and editing because they're mostly not entirely right).

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2011 at 5:16 PM · edited Fri, 04 March 2011 at 5:20 PM

Quote - Sorry for my ignorance but what is bad about refl lite multi? and what is it to begin with... :biggrin:

Bagginsbill explains it here:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=3586191&ebot_calc_page#message_3586191

and here:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2697974&page=3#message_2983758

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

pitklad ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2011 at 5:26 PM

thankls for the links RobynsVeil

so is this something to turn off before saving a mat pose for a figure?

My FreeStuff

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2011 at 5:29 PM

Yes... I would turn it off by default for everything... whether mat pose or mt5 or whatever. You never want either of those on.

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

AnAardvark ( ) posted Mon, 07 March 2011 at 3:23 PM

Quote - without it, Poser renders most hair textures pretty poorly, in my experience, unless at a higher resolution than my usual final renders (3600 x 2700) or a facial portrait at that resolution.

svdl made a script to turn it off ages ago, for Poser 7.  i don't know if it works in P8. 

It does, and in Poser Pro 2010

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.