Sun, Sep 22, 6:44 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 8:54 am)

Subject: Help! Installing content on Daz using a Mac

Jomish ( ) posted Fri, 01 July 2011 at 2:26 AM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 6:36 AM

I just started using daz and I have no idea where to put these "Runtime" folders that I get from most freestuff downloads. How do I go about installing what I've downloaded on a mac? Is there a program or a tutorial that could help me out here? Thanks a lot :)

RHaseltine ( ) posted Fri, 01 July 2011 at 8:27 AM

The Runtime folder from the zip needs to merge with the existing Runtime folder in the MyLibrary or Content folder (depending on which version of DS you are using, and assuming you accepted the default name). Then the content will be in your Poser content folder in the Content palette (DS3) or Poser Formats in the Content Library palette (DS4).

Jomish ( ) posted Fri, 01 July 2011 at 3:30 PM

ah so how do I merge on a mac?

Sedor ( ) posted Fri, 01 July 2011 at 4:33 PM

Content here at renderosity does not come with an installer, so you must do it all yourself - as RHaseltine already mentioned.

What you must do: unzip the downloaded package(s), you will get a folder with more or less subfolders in it.

Just copy the content from the runtime-folder into the runtime folder where your DAZ-content is located (you specified it when installing daz).

For example: you look into the runtime dir and see "geometries", "libraries", "textures"... the files inside these directories must be copied to the fitting folder at your DAZ-Content-Dir (look there inside "runtime"-folder).

Be careful!!! If there is already existing a folder with the name of a folder which you want to copy OSX will overwrite the existing folder! If finder tells you that there's already a folder with that name, abort! And then look inside the folder of your unzipped-content, copy by hand the files from inside this folder into the correspending one at your daz-content...

If you are not sure where it is just look at the preferences -> Content Library -> click there at "Content Directory Manager" -> a new window will pop up, take a look at "current dictories", double click at "DAZ Studio Formats" and "Poser Formats" -> it'll show you where your DAZ-Content is located at your system.

Pfew, hope you understand my crappy english :P - english is not my first language...

Markus 

RHaseltine ( ) posted Sat, 02 July 2011 at 8:45 AM

I'm not a Mac user, but I'm pretty sure I have seen links to a free tool that will merge folders (instead of replacing the old folder with the new as the mac does on its own). I think you can also do it through Terminal with a command line, though I don't know how easy that is on a Mac.

sandmarine ( ) posted Tue, 05 July 2011 at 6:33 AM

i install most of my daz3d stuff on my mac version of Poser using parallel windows - windows XP... i used the .exe and point to my mac installation of poser... works like a charm

MaggieDaddy ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2011 at 2:38 PM

Jomish, et al;

I, too, am a Mac user; MacBook Pro running 10.6.8. I have used Poser 4-8 and have installed DS4 on my MacBook whilest still running Poser 8 on my MacBook (10.6.8). I conquered the "Runtime" quandry years ago by manually installing the downloads into my Poser's Runtime folder. With the addition of a "Downloads" folder in Poser 7 & 8, the majority of the contents of those "Runtime" folders went into the "Downloads" folder; with the exception of "Geometries" and "Textures." I meticulously kept all of the "Readme" files in a "Readme" folder set up in the "Downloads" folder expressly for the purpose of keeping my sanity and HD somewhat organized. This system of diligently moving (not copying) the uncompressed files (the .zips, .rars & .dmg files were backed-up onto another drive for later burning to CD, then DVD as the files becae quite numerous/large over the years). Not having an installer similar to the Window platform hasn't been an issue for me, and I tried the free Mac "Runtime" Installer mentioned by RHaseltine in the post above, but found it not to my liking. I'm also not into using the Terminal or writing scripts for something that should not create stress in my life (I have a wife and daughter for that, thank you very much!)

If you religiously note where you are putting your files as mentioned by Sedor, you will not have any major issues; I didn't rename any of the file names, just moved the folders where they ought go.

Now that I am running DS4 on my MacBook Pro, without a single Poser "Runtime" folder to be had, I am struggling with the installers from DAZ; I select the proper folder in the install list and then they don't show up in the Content Library as I thought. I have read, and followed the Content Directory Manager instructions from DAZ Forums, and truly want to give DS4 an honest go, but finding the files is becoming irritating.

dyret ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2011 at 6:00 PM

wow. could someone just point at a tutorial on installing content? not trying to be rude here! it's just that i just got my new mac and i'm used to a pc.

vienastoks ( ) posted Sat, 27 August 2011 at 7:42 AM

You can always use Rendoinstaller by Totte. (http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=62435)

It has some issues with DS specific content if said content is placed outside runtime folder, but for most files here at the Renderosity Marketplace it works reasonably well.

But I'm placing every single file by hand anyway...  :laugh:

gellenburg ( ) posted Fri, 02 September 2011 at 3:01 PM · edited Fri, 02 September 2011 at 3:01 PM

Anyone using a Mac and Poser/ DAZ Studio, needs this little gem right here at Renderosity: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=33041

For God so loved the Walmart, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not overpay, but have everlasting low, low prices. (John $3.88)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.