Thu, Sep 19, 5:31 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 4:23 pm)

Subject: so, lets see your P9 renders :}P renders, pleeez

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 2:12 PM

yes, ppro comes in 32 as well.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 2:17 PM

Attached Link: jade tea cup and a candle

> Quote - Damn. RDNA lost the zip file there of my morphing glass. I'll have to make it from scratch unless somebody has it and can give it back to me. I don't really have time to build it right now.

If it would be of use, the jade tea cup is half full of tea.  Perhaps you could re-texture it?  Or is it the original materials of your model that you wanted?

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 2:17 PM

Thanks 😄

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 2:21 PM

Quote - > Quote - Damn. RDNA lost the zip file there of my morphing glass. I'll have to make it from scratch unless somebody has it and can give it back to me. I don't really have time to build it right now.

If it would be of use, the jade tea cup is half full of tea.  Perhaps you could re-texture it?  Or is it the original materials of your model that you wanted?

Is the liquid modeled as just a top surface, or an entire enclosed 3d object. That is crucial. It needs to be a closed volume with its own material, fitted precisely inside the cup or glass, or it just fails.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 2:28 PM

Sounds like it will work.  The liquid is topologically closed, with a microscopic space between the inner surface of the glass and the sides/bottom of the liquid, in order to avoid having two polygons sharing the same space.  The top side of the liquid has a meniscus shape.

Poser 12, in feet.  

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 3:21 PM

I'm trying it. The teacup is very nice, but I'm running into the age-old glass is opaque problem. For this to work, light has to reach the liquid and it doesn't.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 4:03 PM

file_473062.jpg

10 minutes 55 seconds

rokket ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 4:25 PM

Damn... that looks good enough that I suddenly have a craving for some milk...

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

richardson ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 4:36 PM · edited Wed, 21 September 2011 at 4:38 PM

LOL Yeah I might be tempted take a sip. 10 hours were times I used to log on stuff like that.

Especially like the "proper" tone and translucency at the edges.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 5:33 PM

Wow if I didn't know better, I'd say you've been posting a photo of a cuppa milk!

I'm seeing an odd problem here and I don't know what it stems from. At first I thought it was the scene so I changed it, but the problem persists.

It's originally an old PZ3 I brought into PP2012. I guess it's from Poser 8 but it may be older, it's Simon.

I'm getting all those little light-spots all over the place.

There's no lights in the scene, the flames on the candelabras has an ambient material (15 in ambient) and so does the liquid in the bottle. Those are the only light sources in the scene.

Everything is enclosed in a room (Mother's House, I think it's from Daz)

Where do those light spots come from? Anyone got an idea, it's driving me nuts! L

Also.. Why is his nails black? Is that a side effect of the SSS (Yes I've used the wacro on all skin materials here including his nails) In the material room they're not black but normal looking :/

(Please click the pic for a proper sized version)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 5:35 PM

file_473066.jpg

Gah the pic was "too large" Well here it is again..

You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA

Teyon ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 5:39 PM

Do you have IDL on?

richardson ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 5:46 PM

...for the hands, just copy the hand material over to the fingernails and toes.

richardson ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 6:07 PM

..actually,, I do not have a clue what causes black nails with P9 or PPro2012. The old skin shaders did not load fingernails and toes so reloading them from the hand mat fixed this problem.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 6:11 PM · edited Wed, 21 September 2011 at 6:12 PM

TG, Poser's IDL is a cheat and cannot be pushed beyond certain limits. The price we pay for speed.

You cannot use super bright small props for light. Poser does not send out enough rays to find them all from all positions, so here it hits, there it misses. You get splotchies.

Use bigger props for light sources. The new system allows us to make these invisible and keep the smaller ones to look at directly!!!

If you really want to do that sort of render, with a small 5 inch sphere lighting a large area, use LuxRender and Pose2Lux. Oh - and be prepared to render for up to 40 or 50 hours.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 6:11 PM

file_473068.jpg

Did some tweaks and switched to tea (with milk).

richardson ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 6:27 PM

Pretty awesome.  I guess Poser10 will have to solve caustics.  It is the only thing I'm missing here. I mean the red shadow and super prism specular.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 6:36 PM

Thanks, BB. At the moment I'm just experimenting to see what is possible at all :)

It makes sense that the light sources are too small. Will try the InvisiLights :)

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 6:42 PM

you-know-who may add caustics at some point, but there may be ways to fake it that are quicker.  like some things (e.g. transparency colour) are not really caustics - they work in some apps with caustics disabled.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 7:08 PM

I would be very happy with a transmission color, consulted for shadow calculations. I could easily fake the caustics well enough using Edge_Blend alone. This would neatly solve the problem of avoiding unwanted shadows from glass.

I got around it here by simply reducing my main light shadow strength. But I could only do that for this isolated prop. In a general scene that would be a fail.

Latexluv ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 7:25 PM

BB, I love that glass material! Is it one you've already published! All these renders look so cool! Unfortunately, I can't play with it yet. I opted for the physical disc of Poser Pro 2012 and I don't know how long it's going to take to get to me here in Canada. :(

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Poser Pro 2012, SR2, Paintshop Pro 8

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 7:34 PM

LL, no I never published that glass. I talked about it with you in a thread last year.

The last thing you said was

Quote - Ah, yes, I have that prop. I can hope that maybe SM will take consideration on the problems you've brought up when it comes to transparency and refraction. I can but hope.

I hoped so too and I was not happy with my glass. You have to be a wizard and know tricks to get it to behave. I was waiting to see if P9/PP2012 addressed the transmission color problem, the total internal reflection problem, and the inverse IOR problem.

No solutions yet.

Latexluv ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 7:36 PM · edited Wed, 21 September 2011 at 7:38 PM

Ummm, this is weird. Silly me, I didn't realize that the jade cup and candle zip was for Poser 9. I loaded it into Poser 8 and, um, the scatter node is there in the materials but of course not the fresnel blend node. I don't think that technically it should have loaded the material at all.

P.S. I do like the look of that glass though!

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

richardson ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 7:42 PM

file_473069.jpg

*you-know-who may add caustics at some point, but there may be ways to fake it that are quicker.  like some things (e.g. transparency colour) are not really caustics - they work in some apps with caustics disabled.*

*Transmission caustics. Is that not right? Shadow was not the correct word.  This picture is what I mean so I'm clear. *

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 7:43 PM

Really! Then they started work on Scatter in Poser 8 but didn't get it working right and never told us about it. Huh.

I am going to show you the new formula for Glass in P9. You will be surprised it's so nothing.

LL - do you have or plan to get P9 or PP2012?

I actually used my 44 node P8 version above, but I'm rendering the P9 version and you'll see it is the same.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 7:46 PM · edited Wed, 21 September 2011 at 7:47 PM

Quote - you-know-who may add caustics at some point, but there may be ways to fake it that are quicker.  like some things (e.g. transparency colour) are not really caustics - they work in some apps with caustics disabled.

*Transmission caustics. Is that not right? Shadow was not the correct word.  This picture is what I mean so I'm clear. *

Light passing through or not is just transmission. This is the opposite of casting a shadow - it simply not casting a shadow.

Caustics are when transmitted light beams from different places of an object are focused, creating a local hot spot that is brighter than simply transmitted light.

A caustic is not possible unless a surface is curved. 

Your image shows both.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 7:50 PM

file_473071.png

Here is P9/PP2012 glass.

The coloring of the refraction is optional - I'm just demonstrating how to make blue glass.

The IOR being less in the Refract is intentional - a workaround for Poser's lack of inverse IOR (bending light the other way going inside to out, than the way it does going outside to in).

If you were doing single-sided thin glass, the Refract IOR should be close to 1.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 7:50 PM

file_473072.jpg

Here is the result.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 7:52 PM

In my P5 glass (used in the images before the blue one), the Fresnel_Blend node has to be implemented with many math nodes. I sometimes use an approximation, 5 nodes, and sometimes the real math, 21 (or so) nodes. I don't really know how many. I just say "TrueFresnel" in matmatic and it is done.

richardson ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 7:58 PM

Your image shows both.

I  know. Reflection Caustics and Transmission Caustics. I was originally refering to the missing red where the shadow lies in your render. I'm learning..

How will you produce the hot "focused" spots? *

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 8:10 PM

Quote - Your image shows both.

I  know. Reflection Caustics and Transmission Caustics. I was originally refering to the missing red where the shadow lies in your render. I'm learning..

How will you produce the hot "focused" spots? *

By setting a transmission value greater than 1.

estherau ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 8:13 PM

Did some tweaks and switched to tea (with milk). the tea one looks like orange juice on my screen.  (good realistic OJ though)

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 8:14 PM

I sampled the tea color from a photo of tea. But it is reflecting the red glass, so it isn't just that color.

richardson ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 8:33 PM

file_473074.jpg

*By setting a transmission value greater than 1.*

*Hmmm.  Back to milk in a glass.. Hope you can find that glass prop. I like this shot. The longer you look, the more you see. This may seem tedious to some but I love thinking computers can duplicate this stuff.

Blackhearted ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 8:50 PM

rendered in Poser 2012:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2249893 

re-rendered in Poser 2012:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2226983

it used to suck having to export into high end apps just to achieve results like these. i think people take for granted how much the Firefly renderer and material room has evolved. many dont realize that just a few years ago features like indirect lighting/GI, SSS, etc were mostly found in >$5000 apps with expensive plugins.  that fact that theyre all there in Poser in a beginner-friendly format and it still renders relatively fast is very impressive - hats off to the poser devs for bringing these features to the table in a 'hobbyist' app.

if youre on the fence about Poser - SSS is worth the pricetag alone.

cheers,
-Gabriel

Latexluv ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 8:53 PM

file_473075.jpg

Here's the P8 render. There are problems with it. I can see mesh lines. So even though it looked like they toyed with the idea of this node in P8, the support for it is sketchy. I'd hoped to kind of mess around with this discovery while I wait for my Poser Pro 2012 to arrive in the mail, but I'm not sure I'd be happy with the results.

And I've tried twice to attach this render to this post and it hasn't worked. What's up with that?

Weapons of choice:

Latexluv ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 9:40 PM

Okay, let's try this one again. I don't know what's the problem tonight!

Weapons of choice:

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 10:06 PM

I've got a simple thin-walled tumbler & beverage model in Poser now;  I'll strip the geometries out and package it and post it shortly.  This one will have the proper positive meniscus - I just realized that the ribbed tea cup beverage has a negative meniscus (ooops).

Poser 12, in feet.  

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 10:27 PM

I'm confused. Why would you want a convex meniscus? Water is concave, unless it overflows the container.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 10:28 PM

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 10:56 PM · edited Wed, 21 September 2011 at 11:00 PM

Quote - I'm confused. Why would you want a convex meniscus? Water is concave, unless it overflows the container.

Yes, that has occurred to me now, and the new model will have the proper meniscus.  I must have had a brain fail when I made the ribbed tea cup and tea liquid. :huh:  There are combinations of liquid and container materials which have a convex meniscus, but tea/milk/beer in glass/jade ain't among them.

Render testing the new thin-walled tumbler & beverage model now, looking for any egregious errors (polys sharing same space, inverted normals, etc.)

Poser 12, in feet.  

Latexluv ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 10:59 PM

Sorry, I couldn't upload BB's Milk Glass prop. Can't figure out why.

Weapons of choice:

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 11:14 PM · edited Wed, 21 September 2011 at 11:20 PM

Attached Link: thin-walled smooth tumbler with beverage

OK, I *think* I got the thin-walled smooth tumbler & beverage model attached as a zip.  It is in standard format to be unzipped to your "downloads" content folder.  Free for both personal and commercial renders.

Nope.  won't attach a zip, apparently.  OK, I'll load it elsewhere and then link.

OK, got it.  Use the hotlink above.  :D

Poser 12, in feet.  

estherau ( ) posted Thu, 22 September 2011 at 1:38 AM

I always thought the surface tension of the water molecules made it slightly convex but I am probably wrong.

Love esther

madno2 ( ) posted Thu, 22 September 2011 at 4:21 AM

file_473097.jpg

P2012 quick test with old scene.

Rendertime 53 min.

No postwork except of assingning sRGB ICC and converting from png to jpg.

johnpf ( ) posted Thu, 22 September 2011 at 4:40 AM

file_473098.txt

> Quote - Damn. RDNA lost the zip file there of my morphing glass. I'll have to make it from scratch unless somebody has it and can give it back to me. I don't really have time to build it right now.

Here's the prop plus the .png in a .zip file. Can't find the original .zip file so these were taken straight from my Runtime/Props directory.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 22 September 2011 at 5:33 AM · edited Thu, 22 September 2011 at 5:34 AM

Quote - I always thought the surface tension of the water molecules made it slightly convex but I am probably wrong.

Love esther

It is. Just look at a drop of water on a table or flat surface. The tension makes it convex. But if you put it into a container or glass, that same tension makes it slightly concave until it gets to the lip, just before it overflows.

estherau ( ) posted Thu, 22 September 2011 at 6:56 AM

i see.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Thu, 22 September 2011 at 7:31 AM

yumm milk goodness.  hungry for some peanutbutter cookies 😄

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Thu, 22 September 2011 at 8:42 AM

wheee, next week, i renders with yoos ! 

iz shipping 2 day express.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.