Wed, Sep 18, 7:49 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Due to the INCREDIBLE Response...

WandW ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2012 at 11:18 AM Ā· edited Mon, 09 September 2024 at 10:10 PM

The DAZ free software offer has been extended until the end of April, according to the latest DAZ Newsleter.Ā  I'm shocked; Shocked, I tell you... šŸ˜‰

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
ā€œI could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2012 at 11:27 AM

caaalled it. what did I win?

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2012 at 11:30 AM Ā· edited Sat, 31 March 2012 at 11:30 AM

Quote - The DAZ free software offer has been extended until the end of April, according to the latest DAZ Newsleter.Ā  I'm shocked; Shocked, I tell you... šŸ˜‰

Yeah, we're all, uh, shocked

LOL

Ah well...they want DS users from the unwashed masses ;).

Laurie

Gareee ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2012 at 11:30 AM

DS4 free. ;)

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

bopperthijs ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2012 at 12:09 PM

Tomorrow is the first of april isn't it?

-How can you improve things when you don't make mistakes?

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2012 at 12:59 PM

Quote - Tomorrow is the first of april isn't it?

No. Ā They changed it to March 32nd, just for this year.

;

Thought I'd get one in early.Ā 

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

goldie ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2012 at 1:15 PM

makes one wonder how the genesis sales are going...

hornet3d ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2012 at 2:28 PM
Online Now!

No doubt there will still be some downloads in April but I would have thought most people interested in DS4 (or wanted, just in case) would have downloaded it weeks ago.

Ā 

Ā 

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -Ā  Ryzen 9Ā 5900HX,Ā with 64 gig ram and 3 TBĀ  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using anĀ AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .Ā  Ā The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

fonpaolo ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2012 at 2:32 PM

I wish them all the best, but...

I don't know why, really, I'm not surprised at all of this... new extension.

...perhaps until the end of the world! (at least until december, as the Mayans prevision)

lol.

vitachick ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2012 at 2:39 PM

Think they realize what a mistake they made with Daz4. Wonder how many people had requested their money back after purchase. I was one of them.

Win10 Ā Poser 2014/Poser 11 Daz3D

goldie ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2012 at 2:40 PM

Quote - No doubt there will still be some downloads in April but I would have thought most people interested in DS4 (or wanted, just in case) would have downloaded it weeks ago.

i thought the same...this whole extension of the free Daz software makes the company look desperate...not only are Poser users affected by this genesis thing, but DS3 users as well...not everyone can use DS4; additionally,Ā  not everyone wants to invest in a whole new technology for 3d when they already have truck loads of 3d stuff that works comparably in their respective 3d program.

fonpaolo ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2012 at 3:04 PM

...and for the first time I haven't spent a cent for the whole March Madness!

wimvdb ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2012 at 3:15 PM

I acutally purchased the Genesis Ponytail when it came on sale. I wanted to have that one but being genesis only, the price was too high for an experiment. But with the sale price it was ok.

After CR2 export I am now able to full use the ponytail. The only thing it does not is conform to V4. But you can scale it a little and then parent it to the head and it works without problems. It is a nice hair, morphs are a bit limited, but that can be easily corrected with magnets.

No MM originals this time around.

goldie ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2012 at 5:14 PM

Quote - ...and for the first time I haven't spent a cent for the whole March Madness!

i did buy a few MM items--props/scenery stuff--but certainly nothing like i did in previious years...also dropped the PlatClub...saw the writing on the wall--would only be wasting my $$

WandW ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2012 at 5:29 PM

They just put virtually all of the DAZ Originals 1/2 off again, which includes the Genesis stuff...

http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=3353117&flatnum=1#3353117

It's tough to sell stuff at full price when it's either on sale at half-off every few months, or given away...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ā€œI could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

goldie ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2012 at 5:48 PM

Quote - It's tough to sell stuff at full price when it's either on sale at half-off every few months, or given away...

Ā 

it's also tough to sell stuff if very few are going to use it...just another Reby Sky moment for Daz...

lmckenzie ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2012 at 7:07 PM

Just when things quiet down, start raggin' on DAZ again. Honestly, did their dingo really eat someone's baby? I know it's all in 'good humor' - 'til about 5 posts before the thread gets locked. To each their own.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

goldie ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2012 at 7:47 PM

Quote - Just when things quiet down, start raggin' on DAZ again. Honestly, did their dingo really eat someone's baby? I know it's all in 'good humor' - 'til about 5 posts before the thread gets locked. To each their own.

no one is raggin' on Daz...the truth is just the truth.Ā  Daz is run by adults and they should be able to accept the consequences of poor decision-making processes.Ā  genesis is a great idea, but perhaps it should have been introduced as a plugin for D3/4 and see how it goes from there. Ā  there is a certain degree of arrogance that Daz has displayed by telling its customers "if you want the newest Daz products, you have to use DS4"Ā  sort of "its our way or the highway" mentality.Ā  do believe lots of folks just went on the highway...

WandW ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2012 at 7:48 PM

Practically everyone who has posted on this thread has bought something on sale, (me included), so we're not ragging too hard... šŸ˜‰

SnowSultan ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2012 at 9:35 PM

"no one is raggin' on Daz"

Ā 

lawllawllawl

Ā 

But seriously, it's probably only because Sir Raggington hasn't seen this thread yet.Ā  ;)

my DeviantArt page: http://snowsultan.deviantart.com/

Ā 

I do not speak as a representative of DAZ, I speak only as a long-time member here. Be nice (and quit lying about DAZ) and I'll be nice too.

wimvdb ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2012 at 10:23 PM

Quote - "no one is raggin' on Daz"

Ā 

lawllawllawl

Ā 

But seriously, it's probably only because Sir Raggington hasn't seen this thread yet.Ā  ;)

The DAZ squad has arrived!!!!!

SnowSultan ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2012 at 10:54 PM

"The DAZ squad has arrived!!!!!"

Ā 

So because I support DAZ, I'm not allowed to post my opin...you're right, I forgot where I was. Sorry.

Ā 

SnowS

Ā 

I do not speak as a representative of DAZ, I speak only as a long-time member here. Be nice (and quit lying about DAZ) and I'll be nice too.

SteveJax ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2012 at 10:58 PM

file_480045.jpg

It's the Apurrcolypse I tell ya!

SnowSultan ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2012 at 11:17 PM

file_480046.jpg

Heh, very cute. Here's one I found the other day, maybe he's thinking "is it safe to post here again?"Ā Ā  ;)

Ā 

NanetteTredoux ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2012 at 12:54 AM

Well, whatever.Ā  I use Poser and increasingly, Blender, though I downloaded their free apps. If I need content and it works in Poser, I am interested. I bought some animals and birds from DazĀ during theĀ crazy period, I have enough people stuff to last me a long time.

Poser 11 Pro, Windows 10

Auxiliary Apps: Blender 2.79, Vue Complete 2016, Genetica 4 Pro, Gliftex 11 Pro, CorelDraw Suite X6, Comic Life 2, Project Dogwaffle Howler 8, Stitch Witch

fonpaolo ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2012 at 3:55 AM

Just to clarify a little, what I said is intended as the opposite you could think.

I'm really not very happy (only my wallet is happy) to say what I've said, as a PC member from almost the beginning, now I feel to be left alone:

You're a Poser user? ...No party!!!

In the past months on the store there wasn't almost nothing for Poser, so i dropped my subscription and I started shopping elsewhere.

This is very sad, I'm disappointed, I don't want to complain.

And I use Carrara and Hexagon, I have Bryce and almost every software they have made, but for now there's only Genesis, all the rest is missing...

hornet3d ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2012 at 3:55 AM
Online Now!

Not raggin' Daz in my post, I just felt that the impact of the free software may have run it's course although I accept it will now be difficult to charge anything for it.Ā  The fact that many predicted this, and the last extension, points to the expectation in the market.Ā  Contary to raggin'Ā DazĀ I did buy during the March sale, though not much.Ā  I do spend a lot less there thanĀ I used to and, like others, no longer have PC membership.

None of this is because I hate Daz and I am happy to purchase from them if there is something that I like at a reasonable price. Increasingly though, there is little I find I want/need and when I do the price is comparitively high, in the sense I can get something similar elsewhere for a cheaper price.Ā  I still pay $25+ for a good scene by Stonemason andĀ other quality vendorsĀ but myĀ spend is still well down.Ā  I hopeĀ others are spending more and Daz will continue to expand but I have no way ofĀ knowing this and so I am concerned because no company canĀ exist onĀ giving stuff for free unlessĀ it leads to income elsewhere.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -Ā  Ryzen 9Ā 5900HX,Ā with 64 gig ram and 3 TBĀ  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using anĀ AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .Ā  Ā The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

wolf359 ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2012 at 4:08 AM Ā· edited Sun, 01 April 2012 at 4:09 AM

So I guess it takesĀ  Three months to "Change the Game" ..and "Shake the industry"..YAwwwwwwwn

Well at least none can complain when they Drop ALL support for pre DS4 content.

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

lmckenzie ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2012 at 5:00 AM

Why raise a topic that has historically led to rancorous disputes - in the service of irony, humor? Ā It's not like raising some substantive question or even a new bit of jocularity. Call it whatever. Perhaps someone is the soul of innocence and it's those other people, maling and/or overly sensitive that start the trouble. The question is, at what point does setting up the environment acrue some responsibility to one for the eventual outcome - and why is it worth it? Ā I'd love to be able to discuss politics and religion here, but it's not allowed because it (almost) always ends badly. It certainly doesn't make sense that discussing a company should lead to the same results but it has - so again, why go there just for a chuckle. Is it that irresistable, are anyone's rights of free speech so trampled on by exercising a little discretion?

I don't mean to be critical and maybe I'm overreacting and yeah, I've probably done it too, but I still just don't see the use when there are a few million other things to talk about but as they say, carry on :-)

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

wolf359 ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2012 at 5:22 AM

**"Why raise a topic that has historically led to rancorous disputes - in the service of irony, humor? Ā **"

I admit I poke fun at DAZ's Marketing blunders at times, but honestly I am indifferent on the matter of the free giveaway.

Although in fact I am grateful for them tossing in a copy of the FBX exporter for My older DS2.x
asĀ  it gives me yet anotherĀ  option of getting animated DAZ rigs into aĀ  true pro app for rendering. (C4D R11 Studio)
However it is interesting thatĀ  how people reactĀ  to "FREE" stuff can often be an indicator of theirĀ  personal agenda towards the entity offering the free.

If McDonalds were giving away Free Hamburgers I am certain Die hard "Vegans"would have a more cynical view about the reasons, than a person who enjoys eating beef.

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

fonpaolo ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2012 at 6:46 AM

As said before, there's no reason to be rancorous, but disappointed, unconsidered, left alone, this yes!
I gave them all my support for many years, unconditionally.

Now they stopped the development for Hexagon and Bryce, Carrara is under development mostly for Genesis's support and this update will be paid for.

When I received the last newsletter saying they've extended another time the free 3D software term, I made a laugh!
...but inside of me, thinking about it, I was not so happy... for them.

wolf359 ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2012 at 7:15 AM

"Now they stopped the development for Hexagon and Bryce,"

No offense butĀ  IMHO it is time for die hard Brycers to acknowledge the reality that bryce is a vestigial holder over from the 1990'sĀ  and move on.

Daz rescued Bryce fromĀ  the abandon ware graveyard years ago but with affordable options for Vue and people using unbiased render like LUX etc, Bryce is just not relevant anymore.

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

fonpaolo ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2012 at 8:16 AM

I know about Bryce, I haven't used it so much, it's better for me to use Carrara instead.

I'm more interested in Hexagon, little but powerful program.

I know I have to point elsewhere and find other softwares to do what I need, but it's sad to leave what I used for so long time...

SteveJax ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2012 at 9:34 AM Ā· edited Sun, 01 April 2012 at 9:35 AM

Sorry, my Bryce hasn't suddenly stopped working. I still enjoy playing with it. That being said I could care less if they make another new version. I'm just not spending on this hobby anymore unless something really WOWS me.

fonpaolo ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2012 at 9:40 AM

Quote - Sorry, my Bryce hasn't suddenly stopped working. I still enjoy playing with it. That being said I could care less if they make another new version. I'm just not spending on this hobby anymore unless something really WOWS me.

Totally agreed.

wolf359 ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2012 at 10:37 AM

"Sorry, my Bryce hasn't suddenly stopped working. I still enjoy playing with it. That being said I could care less if they make another new version."

Right Sir! this is My outlook on most of My software

I do think Bryce
*Ā (which is still sitting on top the original Eric wenger code base from the earlyĀ  90's)* ,is a neat program for its time ,I still have version 6.3 installed on my Mac.

But for those needing/wanting a more Full featured landscape program with a modern render engine beyond bryce;s ancient brute force ray tracer,
Ā I would suggest they stop nagging Daz to keep pouring resources& time into bryce.
and look at other outdoor rendering options such as Vue or Lux etc.

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

Janl ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2012 at 10:42 AM

I moved from Bryce to Vue quite a few years ago now and am completely happy. However, Bryce is still a pretty awesome app and at its current price is a great way for beginners to get started. šŸ˜„

hornet3d ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2012 at 11:29 AM
Online Now!

Quote - Why raise a topic that has historically led to rancorous disputes - in the service of irony, humor? Ā It's not like raising some substantive question or even a new bit of jocularity. Call it whatever. Perhaps someone is the soul of innocence and it's those other people, maling and/or overly sensitive that start the trouble. The question is, at what point does setting up the environment acrue some responsibility to one for the eventual outcome - and why is it worth it? Ā I'd love to be able to discuss politics and religion here, but it's not allowed because it (almost) always ends badly. It certainly doesn't make sense that discussing a company should lead to the same results but it has - so again, why go there just for a chuckle. Is it that irresistable, are anyone's rights of free speech so trampled on by exercising a little discretion?

I don't mean to be critical and maybe I'm overreacting and yeah, I've probably done it too, but I still just don't see the use when there are a few million other things to talk about but as they say, carry on :-)

Ā 

Point taken, I will refrain from adding to any such threads in the future and stick to the more technical ones - oh and those that are humorous.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

fonpaolo ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2012 at 11:43 AM

Well,Ā just to stayĀ on the subjectĀ ...Ā someone hasĀ a joke?

Oh, pleaseĀ not aboutĀ DAZ! ;)

lol.

Eric Walters ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2012 at 1:19 PM

Steve

Ā 

Now that you've posted the Kitty pic-I KNOW the thread is going to be locked soon! :-)

Quote - It's the Apurrcolypse I tell ya!

Eric Walters ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2012 at 1:30 PM

Yep! Back in the 90's I was quite the Bryce fan. I got Lightwave in the early 2000's and Vue Infinite at version 5. My Bryce 4 does not work in MacOSX- I downloaded the free Bryce-might have a go for nostalgic reasons.

Ā 

Quote - "Sorry, my Bryce hasn't suddenly stopped working. I still enjoy playing with it. That being said I could care less if they make another new version."

Right Sir! this is My outlook on most of My software

I do think Bryce
*Ā (which is still sitting on top the original Eric wenger code base from the earlyĀ  90's)* ,is a neat program for its time ,I still have version 6.3 installed on my Mac.

But for those needing/wanting a more Full featured landscape program with a modern render engine beyond bryce;s ancient brute force ray tracer,
Ā I would suggest they stop nagging Daz to keep pouring resources& time into bryce.
and look at other outdoor rendering options such as Vue or Lux etc.

Cheers

paganeagle2001 ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2012 at 11:36 AM

Why don't they just put......

For the forseable future the DAZ Free Software Bundle will be kept as free. We will give you X amount of months notice of when these items will go back on sale.

Easy enough.

All the best.

LROG

Who honors those we love for the very life we live?, Who sends monsters to kill us?, and at the same time sings that we will never die., Who teaches us whats real?, and how to laugh at lies?, Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?, Who chains us?, and Who holds the key that can set us free... It's You!, You have all the weapons you need., Now Fight!

WandW ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2012 at 11:41 AM

Because there would then be no monthly discussion/free publicity... šŸ˜‰

fonpaolo ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2012 at 12:19 PM

Quote - Because there would then be no monthly discussion/free publicity... šŸ˜‰

Oh! ...so THAT was the purpose!

...I would never haveĀ imagined!

lol

Gareee ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2012 at 12:44 PM

And for all we know, they've sold a ton of genesis product because its built into DS4.

They might well have made more in the past few months selling the genesis add ons than they did the past few month before hand selling ds4 itself.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2012 at 12:47 PM

I'm calling the offer makes it to June...

WandW ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2012 at 12:53 PM

Quote - I'm calling the offer makes it to June...

Of what year?Ā  šŸ˜„

Gareee ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2012 at 1:03 PM

If genesis add on sales are strong, they might offer it for free forever. That might also build a MUCH larger user base than poser has as well.

fonpaolo ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2012 at 2:04 PM

Quote - If genesis add on sales are strong, they might offer it for free forever. That might also build a MUCH larger user base than poser has as well.

I wish for them, really, but I doubt, since Poser is far more "old" and well known and his user base is still not so large, after all.

wolf359 ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2012 at 2:25 PM

Well in today jobless, food stamp "recovery" a free Character software program is a nice break for many people.

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

fonpaolo ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2012 at 3:01 AM

The program is free, there's some content free too, but all the rest is not free or so cheap...

If you have money, everything is good, if you don't have any or very little, almost everything is unnecessary or you have to think twice and then think one more time about what you really need.

I know there is people who still eats, drinks, uses clothes, perhaps uses a car and all those unnecessary things like feed their childrens and bring them to school and have an house where to live.
We're in 21st century, it'sĀ absolutely insaneĀ to keep doingĀ certainĀ things...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.