Tue, Sep 24, 6:22 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 24 5:52 pm)

Subject: Wet Skin question

FWArt ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2012 at 8:18 AM · edited Tue, 24 September 2024 at 6:16 PM

Hi, I dont know if this is the right place, or if this has been asked before, I am useless at forums and finding the right information in them....

Now the thing I am trying to figure out is.... I have a character in the making for the marketplace at some point and I want to have a skin option for wet and/or oily skin.... it's a summer character, with a tanline and therefore I wanted a wet and an oily option, or at least one of them. But I don't seem to find a way of doing it to distribute as most wet shaders are not for merchants. So any help would be very much apprechiated.

Many thanks

Fred :)

mysticeagle ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2012 at 8:35 AM

i dont know about that, Daz sell a skin option for V4 for $19.95    http://www.daz3d.com/i/shop/itemdetails/?item=5520

maybe offer the wet and oily skin and maybe a few optional textures with the character for an extra ??? dollars as a package or sell the basic character and skin as 2 lots, just an idea

OS: Windows7 64-bit Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)  6GB Ram
Poser: Poser Pro 2012 SR3.1 ...Poser 8.........Poser5 on a bad day........
Daz Studio Pro 4.5  64bit

Carrara beta 8.5

Modelling: Silo/Hexagon/Groboto V3
Image Editing: PSP V9/Irfanview
Movie Editing. Cyberlink power director/Windows live movie maker

"I live in an unfinished , poorly lit box, but we call it home"

My freestuff   

link via my artist page

26Fahrenheit ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2012 at 8:42 AM

you have to make them wet fx yourself .. using other peoples set is a no no...

so you have to make some wet oil fx in photoshop etc etc and ad that to your set..

there are AFIAK no merchant wet /oil set for sale..

and the one like the one posted before  ..is a end users set.

so making them your self with layers etc etc is your option.

Chris

HERE are my FREEBEE's

FWArt ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2012 at 9:25 AM

Thanks for letting me know, I thought it might be a case of making it myself... oh well, thats ok... will have to play with that a bit. Thanks for letting me know. And thanks also re the shader on DAZ, i did see that before, and when I looked at Pauls (vendor) own website he did mention in his FAQs that you could use it to resell, but said that because the shader is based on the lighting used at the time it wouldn't give the best results. So that's why I thought maybe someone knows of one that might work. but guess it's a make it yourself case, which is ok. :)

Thanks again

Fred

vilters ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2012 at 10:34 AM

Play with Glossy and Bling nodes in Alternate_Specular.

If you want droplets, use a Granite in the Bling and Bump node.
Experiment with the settings with area renders. (Goes faster to do a little check.)

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

vilters ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2012 at 10:38 AM · edited Wed, 04 April 2012 at 10:46 AM

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=3810107&ebot_calc_page#message_3810107

This was some time ago, I post a dirty sweaty skin there.
Take the second one of my examples.

the cloud node is for the "dirty" part.
Leave the cloud out for "just sweaty".

See that I put Specular at WHITE and 0.5 in this example.

Try, test, with your skin texture.
They are all different so you"ll have to test a bit.

Click to enlarge the picture

Happy Posering.

FWArt ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2012 at 10:49 AM

Thanks for that, shall have a look at it all now and see what i can come up with. Thanks for that, really helpful. :)

vilters ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2012 at 4:41 PM

file_480129.jpg

Here is an oiled one with the SSS Wacro. You did not say what Poser version.

But this gives lots of room to play and refine.
Click to enlarge.

vilters ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2012 at 4:56 PM · edited Wed, 04 April 2012 at 4:58 PM

file_480131.jpg

And here a KISS oiled solution.

No SSS, just one infinite light at 55% in BB's sphere.

Ckick to enlarge.

Happy Posering 

Att!!!
For the values used, my Poser units are inches!!!!!

FWArt ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2012 at 5:18 PM

Thanks for sending those examples. Will give it a try and thats just perfect for what i was looking for. I already got a ton of nodes attached so hope it will still work, bit new to it all, but will see how it goes. Can I just add those extra nodes to the character? I got a lot of spots etc included to already make it looks more real, so hoping to be able to just add the oil look to it, if that makes sense... will have fun playing around with it all. Thanks again... :)

oh and I use poser 9

vilters ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2012 at 5:25 PM

Ah, OK, Poser9
You can use SSS if you want to. :-)
But if it is for the marketplace, you are limiting your customer base to Poser9 and PP2012 users.

I was guessing in the blind for what you where looking for; Glad you like it.
But these are pretty flexible.

If you need help integrating this, feel free to give a yell :-) via sitemail. 

Happy Posering

FWArt ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2012 at 5:43 PM

Thanks for that, shall take you up on that offer, can't get into my poser program right now...grrrrr...., as doing some changes on the pc, hence I couldnt try it yet, thought would have been finished with the work by now (always takes longer than you think, doesnt it)... but should be all finished soon and then I can really get down with this one, so if ok with you, I shall contact you, probably within the next few days or so, maybe I could then send you a link to one of the characters I am working on so you can see the nodes etc and see if it could think it's even ok to do. Thanks again for your help, and will have to ask more about some of the things you said, was I want to make sure it is usuable to as many people as possible, so will have to find out more from you.... thanks again. :)

ashley9803 ( ) posted Thu, 05 April 2012 at 6:02 AM

file_480145.jpg

IMO nobody has achieved a realistic wet skin effect, let alone an out-of-the-box solution.

Most attempts just look like some form of oily skin.

If your looking for something like this, just forget about it.

lmckenzie ( ) posted Thu, 05 April 2012 at 6:21 AM

I'd be surprised if BB couldn't do it if he hasn't already.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

ashley9803 ( ) posted Thu, 05 April 2012 at 6:46 AM

I don't think it's acheiveable purely with skin textures/nodes/displacement at present.

It would need something more like a conforming semi-transparent second-skin.

If anyone has done it with skin alone, I haven't seen it.

ashley9803 ( ) posted Thu, 05 April 2012 at 7:11 AM

This is the problem (or part of it) -

Displacement isn't going to work because you need the displaced bits to have a transparency and specularity completely seperate from the rest of the skin texture. And the same problem applies with any nodes attached to the skin.

The water drops and rivlets need to be treated as entirely seperate to the underlying skin texture.

And the conforming second-skin aproach I suggested has it own problems when M4/ V4 or whoever, is morphed beyond their standard forms.

It's a knotty problem, but eventually someone much smarter than me will work it out.

lmckenzie ( ) posted Fri, 06 April 2012 at 1:58 AM · edited Fri, 06 April 2012 at 2:05 AM

"It would need something more like a conforming semi-transparent second-skin."

There's the BodyMorpher figure for Posette by Staale Loseth whose .obj file was modified to provide a second mapping layer. The example 3TextureLayeredBox shows how he did it. AND, in fact someone created a nice looking wet skin  with her using the second layer and a transparency map IIRC. The thread may still be here somewhere. Since the .obj file incorporated the layer(s), that would eliminate the morphing problem. I'm not sure how practical a solution that is and I would have thought that with today's tech there would be better alternatives but who knows.

SkinVue for Vue does pretty nice wet skin. There was also a utility, perhaps called "dropper," maybe by Masa(?) that created tiny spheres on an object. For the ultimate realism, maybe something like that which  actually created geometry would be best, but that's a lot of drops :-)

http://home.online.no/~kjellil/Index-AllStuff.htm 

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

lmckenzie ( ) posted Fri, 06 April 2012 at 2:04 AM

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.