Mon, Jul 8, 6:41 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 26 1:13 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: O.T. Prometheus

tom271 ( ) posted Tue, 05 June 2012 at 2:05 PM · edited Thu, 27 June 2024 at 12:25 PM

Any comments on this movie that will be upon us this Friday...? 

In case you haven't seen the trailer.... There are lots of other trailers and spoilers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0WUpsErUBA

Looks good on trailers...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

erosiaart ( ) posted Tue, 05 June 2012 at 3:34 PM

friend of mines saw the preview..sys it was really really good...

i dare not watch horror films.. :-( 

tom271 ( ) posted Tue, 05 June 2012 at 9:04 PM

Quote - friend of mines saw the preview..sys it was really really good...

i dare not watch horror films.. :-( 

Yet you like hanging out here...... ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

erosiaart ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2012 at 1:31 AM

lol!!!!!!!  what to do? i'm part of the monsters... :-p 

eyeland ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2012 at 1:36 AM

Trailer looks promising, director Ridley Scott has delivered some very fine scifi in the past (the original Alien & Blade Runner) & buzz I've heard (though I can't remember who from) is positive. Definitely one I will be going to see on a big screen...

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." - Picasso

AgentSmith ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2012 at 1:53 AM

I canNOT wait to see this movie!

All these years since Alien and Blade Runner I've been waiting for Ridley to come back to the sci-fi genre but I never expected him to actually come back into the world and mythology of Alien itself! Ridley doing Prometheus is just gonzo insanity since it was the original Alien and Blade Runner that has created such a standard and reference for all other sci-fi films to reach out to, for the past 30+ years.

And, now that Ridley has announced he will also be making not only a Prometheus 2 but also a Blade Runner 2...well, this has just got me in sci-fi/film geek nirvana!

AS

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

Rayraz ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2012 at 3:59 AM

I have seen it, it's been out here since last week :D

The movie is GREAT but you should probably be familiar with the alien franchise.
They really payed attention to the gigeresque style, including some of H R Giger's artworks that weren't neccesarily made for the alien movies! Which i personally find pretty awesome...

When i got out of the theater the audience reaction seemed to be mixed. The people that knew the alien movies were rather excited. But those that didnt were a bit "wtf did i see?".

The movie is definitely capable of standing on its own, but being a spin-off of the alien movies, playing in the same universe etc. it just gains a lot of perspective if you have seen the alien movies.

@Rosie, Prometheus was definitely less scary then the alien movies, i wouldn't even classify it as horror. You'll probably be able to see it without getting nightmares ;)

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

TheBryster ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2012 at 7:42 AM
Forum Moderator

I did hear that it was a let down, which is a shame if it is. I'm still looking forward to seeing it though.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

Rayraz ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2012 at 7:47 AM

@Bryster, i guess it depends on what you expect. Its not an Alien movie, its not a horror movie, it doesnt star xenomorphs etc. It does have an interesting and reasonably complex story, and plenty of open ends allowing you to give your own interpretations to things and/or wonder what the next movie will be like.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

orbital ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2012 at 10:25 AM

Visually it was stunning as you would expect. It wasn't heavily reliant on cg which was refreshing as cg seems to be plastering over the cracks in many films these days. I didn't think the cast bonded as well as in Alien, and I left the cinema not knowing who half the characters were, although that might have something to do with the 3 pints of SanMiguel I had in the pub beforehand. The trick is to view the film as a stand alone, although obviously there is a fair few references to Alien but not in an overt way. I enjoyed it more than I thought as reading on other forums it got pretty mixed reviews and many were left feeling disappointed. I'd guess the majority of you guys will love it though.

http://joevinton.blogspot.com/

Rayraz ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2012 at 11:10 AM

Hooray for San Miguel! I love that beer! Its so refreshing... sadly I only know of one place in all of amsterdam that serves it... :( 

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

tom271 ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2012 at 12:37 PM · edited Wed, 06 June 2012 at 12:45 PM

Runner 2 sounds great...  wonder who will play Blade...

Prometheus is not an Alien sequel I read but it plays in the same universe as pointed out above...  The Space jockey,,, big giant on Chair encountered in the first Alien movie,,,,  seems to have a role in this movie... At least to my understanding....

My question is if this is the same ship as "Alien" and the same universe where then are the aliens..?

orbital ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2012 at 2:17 PM

It's not the same ship, because in Alien they land on LV426 and in Prometheus they land on LV 233, although one orbits the other. I'll not go into detail for fear of spoilers, but if you want to know about the film then this is a good read and explains a lot.

Spoiler alert!

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/community/forums/topic/6954

skiwillgee ( ) posted Thu, 07 June 2012 at 9:27 AM

I don't care how good or bad the movie is because it enticed me to go out and buy the eight DVD pack that includes all of the Alien and Predator movies.  That is reason enough for me to rejoice.  I'm hooked again.

TheBryster ( ) posted Thu, 07 June 2012 at 10:36 AM
Forum Moderator

From the Prometheus trailers and the original Alien movie I got the impression that the crashed ship on LV426 is bigger than the one in Prometheus, although the design is similar.

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

erosiaart ( ) posted Thu, 07 June 2012 at 1:19 PM

@rayraz.. even alein had me spooked... and still does...

TheBryster ( ) posted Thu, 07 June 2012 at 3:21 PM
Forum Moderator

I still hide behind the sofa when I watch Alien...lol

It set the gold standard for sci-fi movies

Oh and if you can, look out for a german movies called CARGO. It's really worth a watch.

erosiaart ( ) posted Thu, 07 June 2012 at 4:16 PM

is it a scary?? 

just saw the preview to angel's share..loved it... 

prom.. i shall think about it.. @willie..the 3d effect is the one that makes it more scary i think.. imagine..that alien thing flinging itself at you..ACK!!!!!

Rayraz ( ) posted Thu, 07 June 2012 at 4:47 PM

Its lots lots lots less scary then alien :)

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

tom271 ( ) posted Fri, 08 June 2012 at 11:24 PM · edited Fri, 08 June 2012 at 11:26 PM

Okay I went to see it....   I'm glad I read the spoilers cause they helped figure out a lot of things...

There were so many things coming at you that it was very easy to miss certain plot points..  Now I know why there were so many trailers and spoilers...  the film needed them... to explain it self..

Many things did not make too much sense and they seem to be there just to make the plot more convoluted...   Also, no mention of the original ship in "Alien 1"..  or the other moon it was supposed to be in...  Unless I missed it....  or it will be on the second installment...

I like the rest of the wizardry and special effects.. Wow..   I think the movie should have been longer in order to developing characters, personalities and plot...  There are now more questions than answers for me...  But that's for Prometheus 2 to answer...

Question... can a second installment of any film be better than the first...?   or is this just spiraling into a crash..

orbital ( ) posted Sat, 09 June 2012 at 2:17 AM

Quote - Okay I went to see it....   I'm glad I read the spoilers cause they helped figure out a lot of things...

There were so many things coming at you that it was very easy to miss certain plot points..  Now I know why there were so many trailers and spoilers...  the film needed them... to explain it self..

Many things did not make too much sense and they seem to be there just to make the plot more convoluted...   Also, no mention of the original ship in "Alien 1"..  or the other moon it was supposed to be in...  Unless I missed it....  or it will be on the second installment...

I like the rest of the wizardry and special effects.. Wow..   I think the movie should have been longer in order to developing characters, personalities and plot...  There are now more questions than answers for me...  But that's for Prometheus 2 to answer...

Question... can a second installment of any film be better than the first...?   or is this just spiraling into a crash..

Well Aliens did a pretty good job of that, I know many people are torn between that and Alien being thebest. Also a shout for Godfather 2 and Empire strikes back, so heres hoping!

mtnmen ( ) posted Sat, 09 June 2012 at 9:44 AM

For me... Ocean's 12 was better than Ocean's 11... and that's where they should have stopped...Ocean's 13 in my opinion had performances and a story line that was phoned in....

Looking forward to both installments of Prometheus...

**Steve

tom271 ( ) posted Sun, 10 June 2012 at 4:44 PM · edited Sun, 10 June 2012 at 4:45 PM

file_482268.jpg

Her is a doable Bryce scene.....

skiwillgee ( ) posted Sun, 10 June 2012 at 6:22 PM

tom271,  Is that a challenge???

tom271 ( ) posted Sun, 10 June 2012 at 8:42 PM

No... No challenge... this would take a long time for me  to populate the hills with Boolean matters and the skies with those planets, moons and lighting looks very time consuming.. I have a slow half dead computer...  Thank you for the challenge but I'm not up to snuff...   But it sure looks good...

eyeland ( ) posted Wed, 13 June 2012 at 3:01 PM

Saw Prometheus yesterday & enjoyed it thoroughly. It was visually stunning, but also had an interesting (though challenging) plot & the dialogue & acting were not embarrassing, as is too often the case in many sci-fi films. I would agree with some of the criticism that the characters were not well developed enough, though that's not the primary focus or appeal of films like this. Definitely in a different league than the dozens of special effects movies released each year that are filled with little else but explosions & other mind-numbing noise. I would rate it very highly & think it's the best sci-fi film to come along since Avatar. Plan to go back & see the 3D version if I can...

As far as it's connection to Alien, it's kind of a prequel that foreshadows the earlier movie. Alien takes place in the 22nd century, while this film takes place in the late 21st century. The very last scene of this film (which I won't provide any detail on to avoid being a spoiler) provided a very clear connection between the two films in my mind...

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." - Picasso

TheBryster ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2012 at 10:05 AM
Forum Moderator

Great link, Rosie. Thankyou !

Rayraz ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2012 at 10:13 AM

What bryster said, cool link!

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

tom271 ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2012 at 1:19 PM · edited Thu, 14 June 2012 at 1:24 PM

Good article Rosie...  10 things I did not know about Prometheus... 

I had a feeling when I saw this movie that there was or should have been more... and this article does explain the terraforming that did not make the cut and other scenes...

But all in all it was a great movie to see and might even see it again.. which says a lot for this movie since I don't like to see movies twice..

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.