Mon, Sep 9, 4:00 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 2:22 am)

Subject: Poser 2012 question (IDL)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 10 June 2012 at 10:38 PM

file_482292.jpg

As we have discussed many times before, each component matters - great lighting without shaders, or great shaders without lighting - fail.

PP2012 is finally able to do interiors with some conviction, as well.

Consider this scene I bought - bar basement - rendered as I got it.

Seems like - well - crap, right?

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 10 June 2012 at 10:39 PM

file_482293.jpg

Take advantage of IDL and put some proper spotlights in - you get this.

Big improvement. Lights are very important. But...

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 10 June 2012 at 10:40 PM · edited Sun, 10 June 2012 at 10:41 PM

file_482294.jpg

With the shaders corrected as well, now it is very convincing. This looks like something more than your typical sub $10 Poser scene, right?

I make extensive use of blurred reflections in this scene. I use it all the time now. It's fast.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 10 June 2012 at 10:46 PM

file_482295.jpg

Check out what blurred reflections do for metal.

This is softness = 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12

moriador ( ) posted Sun, 10 June 2012 at 11:47 PM · edited Sun, 10 June 2012 at 11:48 PM

Quote - With the shaders corrected as well, now it is very convincing. This looks like something more than your typical sub $10 Poser scene, right?

I make extensive use of blurred reflections in this scene. I use it all the time now. It's fast.

You said something about raising the bar in another thread.  You've definitely done that, no pun intended.

Have you considered making a merchant resource shader kit?

ETA: I know you teach us reprobates tirelessly and the hope is for us to learn to do all this ourselves.  But let's face it: we are not, most of us, anywhere close to as skilled at this as you.

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.

face_off ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2012 at 12:07 AM · edited Mon, 11 June 2012 at 12:12 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_482296.jpg

BB - I agree that SSS could be of value in some instances, but I found I was getting better results without it.  Attached image was just Alyson2, skin material with a single color map in Diffuse_Color, Reflect node (White, Qual 1, Soft 2.5), and a Cellular bump. 

Lights were 2 planes (one left, one right) at ambient value 6.  Pure white.

Render settings 40 IC and 50 ILQ, no shadows, no SSS.  I think the skin is a little oily.  I tried an edge_blend on the reflection softness and it worked a treat.

Pls excuse the color map silliness on her right hip and under her right arm (I got a bit excited in ZBrush adjusting the map).

I re-ran this render without any walls, and the result was very very similar.  The amount of light coming from the back wall back onto the figure is minimal.  Since the two planes are very bright, the reflect amount has to be dialed back (think it's 0.02 or in that region).  That's what killing the reflect from the back wall.  This could be solved by reducing the diffuse value of the lights from 1 down to something like 0.2 - then increasing the reflection amount.  Although one of the advantages of very more reflection values is that the skin does not reflect too much on itself.

I also ported this scene to both Lux and Octane.  The results were fractionally better (as you would expect), however rendertime was way more than Poser (I think even Octane was around the 4hrs mark, although that was with SSS on).

Creator of PoserPhysics
Creator of OctaneRender for Poser
Blog
Facebook

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2012 at 2:27 AM

Quote - You guys didn't tell me the band was getting back together!

I posted a new shadow catcher that plays nice with 2012 IDL  + GC.

http://forum.runtimedna.com/showthread.php?66824-Shadow-Catcher-and-IDL

Got it!  This will come in very handy.  Thanks.

Tools :  3dsmax 2015, Daz Studio 4.6, PoserPro 2012, Blender v2.74

System: Pentium QuadCore i7, under Win 8, GeForce GTX 780 / 2GB GPU.

richardson ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2012 at 5:11 AM

file_482302.jpg

Heya Paul Maxxx.. Wow. I thought you guys were gone for good. I add this in spirit of this thread. Tried for unpredictable setting and light effects. IDL w one light. These are draft settings but will evolve. All in all Pro2012 a huge hit for me.

Latexluv ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2012 at 5:29 AM

file_482303.jpg

Unfortunately I couldn't get the hang of it. I had to add one specular only light. Not satisfied with it.

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Poser Pro 2012, SR2, Paintshop Pro 8

face_off ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2012 at 5:53 AM

LL - keep working on it until you get specular (reflections) without that light.  It's worth it.  I made up a simple scene with a sphere (and the 2 emitters) to get everything dialed in before progressing to fgures.  Also, wind out some of the red from the girl skin color (by reducing the red component of the diffuse color).  For some reason, with Gamma at 2.2 and emitter based lighting, the red saturates a little too much.   Chair looks great.

Creator of PoserPhysics
Blog
Facebook

BadKittehCo ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2012 at 5:55 AM

I've noticed that having a value in alternate diffuse channel will affect material quite a bit  with IDL... can someone explain a bit more about that? I'm not sure if I understand the alternate diffuse channel well enough.

___
Renderosity Store  Personal nick: Conniekat8
Hi, my name is "No, Bad Kitteh, NOO", what's yours? 

LaurieA ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2012 at 7:52 AM

I'm not quite sure of the material settings or what nodes to use either..lol.

Laurie

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2012 at 9:02 AM

Quote - Heya Paul Maxxx.. Wow. I thought you guys were gone for good. I add this in spirit of this thread. Tried for unpredictable setting and light effects. IDL w one light. These are draft settings but will evolve. All in all Pro2012 a huge hit for me.

Welcome to the party.  Very good work in this render.  Skin looks great.  I'm a big fan of your realistic morphing work.  I need to upgrade my Zbrush next so i can get some realistic morphs on this VickiWM.  I love the way the weightmapped figures look in Poser now.  Big improvement over the old.  I almost gave up hope and moved to DazStudio because of the excellent weight mapping the Genesis figures have.  But VictoriaWM drov me back to Poser and I got 2012.  Glad I did.  IDL is pretty impressive so far.

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2012 at 9:10 AM

Quote - Unfortunately I couldn't get the hang of it. I had to add one specular only light. Not satisfied with it.

Love that chair.  Yes, the regular poser lights often times, especially when using IDL, cast an unrealistic highlight that kind of ruins the realism achieved throuh the lighting itself.  Using objects like square planes as the source of reflection highlights solves this problem.  Definitely a time killer, so if you don't care that much about realism, it wouldn't be worth the extra processing, but if you're a fanatic about realism, like me and some others here, then it's worth it.  Your render is looking great.  I really think it's just the specularity that is causing it not to live up to your expectations.

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2012 at 9:13 AM

Quote - LL - keep working on it until you get specular (reflections) without that light.  It's worth it.  I made up a simple scene with a sphere (and the 2 emitters) to get everything dialed in before progressing to fgures.  Also, wind out some of the red from the girl skin color (by reducing the red component of the diffuse color).  For some reason, with Gamma at 2.2 and emitter based lighting, the red saturates a little too much.   Chair looks great.

I dial down the saturation to 90%.  Seems to work well.  That's one of the first things I noticed.  90% should be more than enough desaturation.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2012 at 9:20 AM

Great thread 😄

Many thanks for that shadow catcher link BB, I hadn't seen that one yet...

monkeycloud ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2012 at 9:35 AM · edited Mon, 11 June 2012 at 9:35 AM

I have to say, whilst I have experimented a bit so far with "no lights" and just a specular... I've generally still been "cheating" and using some Poser spots. Last couple of gallery posts I did for example... although a lot of the light is from IDL emitters, ramped up to 7 or so in their ambient channel. I'm just picking out highlights I guess with the spots... everything I'm doing is now envsphere enclosed, with an HDR (or near HDR) sky now... even when the light from that is only entering the scene indirectly, i.e. through a window, etc (even an off-camera window).

Last scene I did had a total of 8 envspheres in it. But that's another issue. LOL ;-)

Those morphable prop emitters look very interesting BB.

I'm also following the thread Anthanasius started and which was subsequently elevated to a whole 'nother level by BB, about "Lights and watts"... in case there's more to come there??

cheers ;-)

LaurieA ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2012 at 9:37 AM

Thanks for the link monkeycloud :). I missed that one.

Laurie

richardson ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2012 at 9:39 AM

* I need to upgrade my Zbrush next so i can get some realistic morphs on this VickiWM.*

Maxxx, I'm convinced that if realism is the goal, each mesh will need to be tweaked in ZBrush and with an eye for the quirk or non symmetry. .These meshes are just too doll like.  Proper creases in flesh need ZB as well.  I think real collision detection for flesh would take things up a notch.. Someday

Love the new works btw

monkeycloud ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2012 at 9:51 AM

On the topic of ZBrush, thinkcooper mentioned in another thread that they were working on GoZ integration... in case anyone missed that too...

But, subtle tweaks using the V4 base expressions morphs can be pretty effective too, in a lot of cases, I reckon...

...I think that a lot of facial asymmetry in a person is maybe down to muscular / neurological factors... so using the expressions morphs is perhaps not inappropriate relative to that.

;-)

richardson ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2012 at 10:10 AM

...I think that a lot of facial asymmetry in a person is maybe down to muscular / neurological factors... so using the expressions morphs is perhaps not inappropriate relative to that.

Totally agree but I meant the mesh in general. There is a level you can get to with straight mesh. Then you have to break it up with detail. Musculature,, aging, quirky details are the things we remember in a glimpse. These meshes are devoid of detail to meet rendertime requirements( and our obsession with youth...;)) plus the million morphs that can be run through together in compromise.

I'd love to see the Poser Zbrush pipeline fixed once and for all.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2012 at 10:30 AM

Quote - Totally agree but I meant the mesh in general. There is a level you can get to with straight mesh. Then you have to break it up with detail. Musculature,, aging, quirky details are the things we remember in a glimpse. These meshes are devoid of detail to meet rendertime requirements( and our obsession with youth...;)) plus the million morphs that can be run through together in compromise.

Yeah definitely, I agree right back, of course... a big part of why I just bought the bullet yesterday and got a copy of Zbrush ;-)

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2012 at 1:28 PM

question for bill:  is the shadowcatcher in the linked rdna thread the same one included in your tomcarscene.pz3?   tomcarscene shadowcatcher gives me good ground shadows with hdri only, but darkens the entire area covered by the plane, for which I don't know how to calibrate.  the rdna shadowcatcher gives me a white opaque plane - not sure how to calibrate that either.

I'm guessing that once I get a render with a shadow over the bottom of the hdri sphere, I click on darkest area (black) to calibrate shadow colour and click on lightest area (light grey) to calibrate lit colour.

BadKittehCo ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2012 at 3:18 AM

I looooove zbrush!!!

Lot of my modeling and morphing and displacement and texturing happens in Zbrush. I'd say 70% or more.

___
Renderosity Store  Personal nick: Conniekat8
Hi, my name is "No, Bad Kitteh, NOO", what's yours? 

Latexluv ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2012 at 3:40 AM

file_482338.jpg

Well, this was the best I was able to do today with this experiment. Since this is a promo test of a character set I'm working on, I had to move on and use Poser lighting (a set I think I'll include in the package). But I will continue to follow this thread as long as it goes to see all the excellent input.

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Poser Pro 2012, SR2, Paintshop Pro 8

mauk ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2012 at 4:07 AM

Hi maxxxmodelz 

"Yeah, just two single-sided planes.  I would send you the PZ3 file to examine if it's legal to do.  Not sure about what we would need the same for you to see it correctly, but I'd be more than happy to do that."

I would be happy to receive the file if possible!!!!!

Thank's 

mauk

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2012 at 6:52 AM

Quote - Totally agree but I meant the mesh in general. There is a level you can get to with straight mesh. Then you have to break it up with detail. Musculature,, aging, quirky details are the things we remember in a glimpse. These meshes are devoid of detail to meet rendertime requirements( and our obsession with youth...;)) plus the million morphs that can be run through together in compromise.

I'd love to see the Poser Zbrush pipeline fixed once and for all.

I think Zbrush or Mudbox ( I personally love how intuitive Mudbox controls are) would  both great tools for adding realistic changes to Poser.  I'd like to see integration for either or both  in the Pro version pipeline.

That said, however, even a doll can be made to look like a real doll.  Point being, we need to know the secrets of how to get as realistic as possible with what we have natively, even before we expand on that.

I think it's finally possible to get  photorealistic results from Poser, just using Poser, which is why I'm excited about the PP2012 workflow.  We could always come really close before, but in the end, I always had to take it to another application  to polish the results.  Finally, I've hit a version  of Poser that seems to be able to  do everything I demand. haha.  Will see.

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2012 at 7:01 AM

Quote - Well, this was the best I was able to do today with this experiment. Since this is a promo test of a character set I'm working on, I had to move on and use Poser lighting (a set I think I'll include in the package). But I will continue to follow this thread as long as it goes to see all the excellent input.

Even though you ended up having to use native Poser lights to some degree, the results look impressive.  Very natural lighting.  Great work.   Yes, I hope you continue following and trying to get this workflow to work well for you, because this is the way most "physically accurate" (as we love to say) renderers usually work.  With mesh-based area lighting to simulate light that doesn't begin at an infinitely small point (like spotlights or point lights).  For the most realistic specular FX, this is key.

As Baggins mentioned earlier in the thread, highlights in the real world are reflections.  Some are very subtle, but almost every surface in the real world has them.

shorterbus ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2012 at 9:16 AM

Maxxmodelz, this is coming so out of left field for many of us. I am in shock. This is the realism I have been aspiring to without achieving. Much of what you guys are saying is zooming over my head and the Poser manual glosses over it so lightly there is nothing to be gained there.

I switched exclusively to IDL long ago, using an environment sphere and lights from several packages I purchased, but always the results have been less than. And now you're telling me my problem was I should have been turning off the lights they sold me? Wow!

I gave what is discussed here a go:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2338501

Probably a lot less than anyone else here is doing, but much better than anything I previously did.

Some questions:

The pic I did used the two one-sided planes as you did and I am assuming the "normals" side is the side I can see. So, just cranking up the ambient value makes it a light, huh? Wow! Anything else I need to do to those planes besides the slight coloring you mentioned?

I used a envirosphere.

Neither character came with sss so I used ezskin. I used the only the ezskin "make art" button, the highest value at the bottom of the window. Oh, and I turned up the "softness" in the skin from 2.5 to 3.5, though it may have not been enough.

Does the room you are refering too supplant the sphere?

I'm in the middle of doing another, this time with no planes, just cranking up the ambient value in the envsphere. It is in its 10th hour of render, so I overcranked something, but the results so far look good, no not as realistic as the one with your two planes.

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2012 at 9:31 AM

Quote - Well, this was the best I was able to do today with this experiment. Since this is a promo test of a character set I'm working on, I had to move on and use Poser lighting (a set I think I'll include in the package). But I will continue to follow this thread as long as it goes to see all the excellent input.

I think it looks great Liz :)

Laurie

monkeycloud ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2012 at 9:53 AM · edited Tue, 12 June 2012 at 9:54 AM

Quote - On a final thought, I made sure there was absolutely NO Occlusion on any of the objects or materials.  Meaning, stay clear of AO when rendering with IDL. You don't need it, as you probably already know, and it just muddles up the light calculations.

I've just spotted this post by Maxxx earlier in the thread...

...I've still been unsure about whether to include AO nodes with the "Evaluate in IDL" option ticked in some shaders.. or not... should I not be doing this??

Come to think of it, the last scene I was trying where I had this consideration, that I recall, I was using Stonemason's Utopia C set.

The default shaders in this set have AO nodes set up. I'd gone through and ticked the "Evaluate in IDL" for all of these. But I was certainly having blotchiness issues, rendering with IDL.

Was this likely due to the AO nodes... i.e. should I just be ditching these AO nodes altogether then? Are they serving any purpose other than interference, when I'm using IDL?

Cheers ;-)

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2012 at 10:03 AM · edited Tue, 12 June 2012 at 10:03 AM

Quote - ...I've still been unsure about whether to include AO nodes with the "Evaluate in IDL" option ticked in some shaders.. or not... should I not be doing this??

I wouldn't do it. IDL does a pretty good job on it's own. AO leaves a very dark shadow that isn't really realistic. IDL is a step up from AO ;).

Laurie

monkeycloud ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2012 at 10:32 AM

Hmmm. Thanks Laurie... I should go back to that scene and delete those AO nodes... see how that goes...

...there's only something like 20 prop parts with a half dozen material zones each on that set.

Shouldn't take me too long. LOL.

Obviously I already went through it once to tick the "Evaluate in IDL" boxes... LOL again.

Am I being a dufus and missing an easy way of doing this??

;-)

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2012 at 3:23 PM

o.k., got it so bill's shadowcatcher doesn't darken bottom of hdri sphere, when rendering contact (occlusion) shadows. IMVHO this is adequately addressed in rdna thread in bill's first message.

face_off ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2012 at 4:00 PM · edited Tue, 12 June 2012 at 4:02 PM

file_482371.jpg

To assist ppl who are still needing a light in there scene....I thought I would post a sample workflow.  This render was setup in about 10 mins, so is not supposed to be particular good - just to show the workflow.

First off - The posed figure.  No lights in the scene, so use Hidden Line display style.

Creator of PoserPhysics
Blog
Facebook

face_off ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2012 at 4:01 PM

file_482372.jpg

This shows the figure is inside 4 walls and there is a plane for the light.

Creator of PoserPhysics
Blog
Facebook

face_off ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2012 at 4:01 PM

file_482373.jpg

Another view.  The light is the plane off to the right.  Figure on the left.

Creator of PoserPhysics
Blog
Facebook

face_off ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2012 at 4:02 PM

file_482374.jpg

Material for the girls skin.  It doesn't get simpler than this!

Creator of PoserPhysics
Blog
Facebook

face_off ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2012 at 4:04 PM

file_482375.jpg

Now set the material for the light.

I /think/ in general you are better have < 1 for the diffuse_value, and then having higher values for the skin reflection.  In this case I tried 0.5.

Creator of PoserPhysics
Blog
Facebook

face_off ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2012 at 4:05 PM

file_482376.jpg

Render settings.

Creator of PoserPhysics
Blog
Facebook

face_off ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2012 at 4:07 PM

The final render.  I need to reduce the reflection on the walls, but you get the idea.

Mmmmm, it appears I have somehow managed to delete the final render!!!!  Will post it after re-rendering.

Creator of PoserPhysics
Blog
Facebook

vilters ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2012 at 4:09 PM

@ face_off
Allow me to interupt your tut. (Really sorry; I mean that)

Lots of users will read and try to use this.

Please remove the light blue from diffuse_color, and lower the difuse_value.

That was part of the "IDL+SSS+GC faking" before PP2012 came out.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

face_off ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2012 at 4:28 PM

Please remove the light blue from diffuse_color, and lower the difuse_value.

Very good point.  I am using the Alyson2 texturemaps from come with Poser, which I find are not quite pale enough for me, so I adjust the texture color accordingly.  Most people using other maps should go with 1, and pure white.

Good pickup vilters.

Creator of PoserPhysics
Blog
Facebook

face_off ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2012 at 4:31 PM

Another point (and Maxxx may have covered this originally) - the light emitting from the planes is area based (so the bigger te plane, the more light emitted).  So if you want sharp shadows (as opposed to blurred), use smalled planes as emitters (say scaled to 30%), and increase the ambient_value (a lot!).

Creator of PoserPhysics
Blog
Facebook

vilters ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2012 at 5:31 PM

If, and sometimes there s no other way, If I have to use older textures (pré-PP2012) I put a HSV node between the texture and the diffise_color and work with that HSV node to change the texture as needed.

When using this technique, of planes , squares with ambient, you might ad a "pose light to your scene to see what you are doing.

To create a Pose-light?

Add a point light.
Position the light.
Parent it to the main camera with inherit bends ON.
Remove shadows (remove the "V" in the properties palette.)

Goto the mat room and set diffuse and specular to pure black.

You now have a point light that allways shines on your scene from your camera's position, but does not render or make false shadows.

Ideal to work in low light situations where most of the light is coming from IDL.

Happy Posering
Tony

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

face_off ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2012 at 5:40 PM

file_482379.png

Final render

Creator of PoserPhysics
Blog
Facebook

moriador ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2012 at 7:03 PM

I'm curious... why is the cast shadows box not ticked in the render settings, and what does that achieve?

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2012 at 9:01 PM

Paul,

You want to use Fresnel_Blend on every surface where you do reflection. No exceptions. Skin - walls - everything.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2012 at 9:03 PM

Anthanasius ( ) posted Wed, 13 June 2012 at 3:28 AM

file_482407.jpg

Dont use blur fresnel reflexion until this bug is not resolved ...

Imagine your character looking in a mirror, it look like a real chrome ...

Génération mobiles Le Forum / Le Site

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.