Tue, Sep 24, 6:19 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 24 5:52 pm)

Subject: P9 and PP2012 light difference....

FWArt ( ) posted Sat, 09 June 2012 at 1:37 PM · edited Tue, 24 September 2024 at 6:14 PM

file_482243.jpg

Hi,

I don't know if this has been answered somewhere before, i looked for it but couldn't find it. So I hope, if answered already, that someone can point me in the right direction, or of not answered yet, that someone might be able to help.

I was using Poser9 since it came out and love it, when there was the Memorial Day offer and they offered all software at 60% off I couldn't resist and sidegraded... now the thing is, I use http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/vexlights/68449 for most of my lighting, especially set 5 as it just looks great and most natural... however when I create an image in P9 using lighting, and save it and open in PP2012, and obviously it is the same pose, same lighting etc... it just doesn't come out the same. It makes it look just odd. No matter what I try to do. It seems to just change the settings to make what was a beautiful lighting come out looking "odd", which is the best way to describe it I guess... I've attached a picture to show the difference. As you can see it is the exact same pose, same MAT.... basically I've saved it in P9 and opened it in PP2012 to render in there and thats what happened... it isn't just with that MAT, but with everything, so I guess it must be somehow connected to how it's set up, but I am completely lost as to what might need changing. So any help would be greatly apprechiated. Just wondering if it is me doing something wrong, or if that's an issue others have had as well.

Many thank

Fred :)

willyb53 ( ) posted Sat, 09 June 2012 at 1:43 PM

what is your GC set at in PP2012?  P9 renders at GC=1

Bill

People that know everything by definition can not learn anything

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Sat, 09 June 2012 at 1:46 PM

Quote - what is your GC set at in PP2012?  P9 renders at GC=1

Bill

The default in P2012 is GC 2.2.  So that would prob be th difference.

Tools :  3dsmax 2015, Daz Studio 4.6, PoserPro 2012, Blender v2.74

System: Pentium QuadCore i7, under Win 8, GeForce GTX 780 / 2GB GPU.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 09 June 2012 at 1:48 PM

If the lights use gray color chips, they will change because of anti gamma applied to the color. I have to say that pro means you know what I am doing (not a typo). So stop buying lights. (wink)

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

FWArt ( ) posted Sat, 09 June 2012 at 1:50 PM

Sorry to sound absolutly stupid... but where do I find that? I don't even know what GC stands for... I know bad... sorry  :/

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Sat, 09 June 2012 at 2:00 PM

GC stands for Gamma Correction.  There's a global setting for that in the Firefly render window when you open Render Settings.  It's prob set to 2.2, where it was 1.0 in Poser 9. 

Tools :  3dsmax 2015, Daz Studio 4.6, PoserPro 2012, Blender v2.74

System: Pentium QuadCore i7, under Win 8, GeForce GTX 780 / 2GB GPU.

FWArt ( ) posted Sat, 09 June 2012 at 2:14 PM

Thanks all, thats all sorted now. I was already googling GC and just found what it meant when your message came in :) So thanks all. and yes I know Pro means Profesional... but I wanted it for the render queue etc... just makes it easier as I am rendering a lot always. Thanks again everyone, I'm happy again. :)

hornet3d ( ) posted Sat, 09 June 2012 at 2:14 PM

In the standard Firefly window on Pro 2012 the GC is in the bottom right corner.  Changing it to 1.0 may correct the differences to that you are describing but the subject is a little bit more complex than that.

I know the Bagginsbill has explained this in the past and in a way that I could not begin to emulate.  Having an understanding of GC is important if you want to get the best from the lighting in Poser 2012 or it least that is what I have found since I started using 2012.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

FWArt ( ) posted Sat, 09 June 2012 at 2:18 PM

Oh I'll definitly will do more work on understanding it all, just needed to figure that part out first, then more understanding will come with using it. I hope :) But it's only the second time I am using it now since I got it, so it just frustrated me, and at least that part I get now. :) Thanks again all.

JoePublic ( ) posted Sat, 09 June 2012 at 2:23 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_482244.jpg

In short: Don't use lightsets in PP 2012 that were not explicitly *made* for PP 2012.
  1. Load your figure and texture.

2. Let Snarlygribbly's EZSkin script create the SSS skin shaders for you.

3. Add something to your scene for the light to bounce off from, like BB's Envirosphere or a room. (The envirosphere can be hidden from the camera if you prefer an "empty" scene.)

4. Enable IDL and start with a single infinite light.

5. Render.

Of course you can make PP 2012 renders look like Poser 9 or older renders, but then you have to disable all PP 2012 features like GC (Gamma-Correction) or IDL.

hornet3d ( ) posted Sat, 09 June 2012 at 3:31 PM

Quote - Oh I'll definitly will do more work on understanding it all, just needed to figure that part out first, then more understanding will come with using it. I hope :) But it's only the second time I am using it now since I got it, so it just frustrated me, and at least that part I get now. :) Thanks again all.

I understand the frustration,  I find Pro2012 to be a supurb peice of software and I was really blown away with the skin tones that it can produce.  I read most of the pre-launch information at RDNA, along with some stunning images, and a great deal of that was suppllied by BB and the ambassadors of the time.  It is of course a different matter when you get to use the software for yourself, or least it was for me but I am no pro.  On the other hand I was also pleased at how much better my renders looked very soon after I started using 2012.

Best of luck with your renders, I am sure you will be really pleased with the improvement as you gain the extra knowledge.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

FWArt ( ) posted Sat, 09 June 2012 at 3:40 PM

Thanks again all for your help. and yes I agree, it always is so different when you see others do something in a program and then you use it yourself. Of course it all take some getting use to, but I am sure it won't be long until I understand things more. Thanks again all and have a great weekend. :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.